What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Snowlilly, Aug 21, 2012.

1. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

I just finished reading OpCenter- Out of the Ashes, a Tom Clancy property written by two authors in his company.

A really good read. As always, I love the realism and the detail that novels of this ilk go into.

The ending was quite predictable, but still enjoyable. In fact, I think it's the first time I ever cheered aloud upon reading a book's ending. LOL!

Also read Dune for the umpteenth time. :)

2. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

I can't wait to sink myself into it. :)

3. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I am listening to Star Trek and History by Nancy Reagin, narrated by Kim McKean. Though the book it interesting I wish they had chosen someone who knew about Star Trek to narrate it. The narrator mispronounces names, places etc for example I just listened to a chapter about The way Native Americans are portrayed in Trek and she constantly pronounced 'Maquis' sounding the S.

My dead book read is Spell it Out: The Singular Story of English Spelling by David Crystal.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  4. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

I took a break from Trek to read The Program, The Treatment, and The Remedy. I think I'll finish Imzadi II: Triangle.

5. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

The sad part is that that's not even a Star Trek word. The Maquis in Trek were derived from the Maquis in WWII. Basically, it's just a French word and she, or somebody involved in the production, should have known how to pronounce it.

6. Miss Chicken

Yes, I knew how to spell Maquis as soon as I heard it on Star Trek, before I saw it in print. My son, who is interested in war history, knew who the original Marquis were and he mentioned it to me.

She mispronounces the names T'Pol, Nerys and Guinan. The name Guinan was so wrong that at first I didn't know who she meant.

7. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

American Colonies, Alan Taylor

Sweeping history of the New World, from its initial settlers to the European discovery.

8. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Still working my way through Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. I put it down for awhile and just got back to it. In the last third of it now. MAN, this is a long book! I'm loving it, though.

9. RJDiogenes

That's really bad quality control on the part of the publisher.

That sounds good.

10. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Got about a third of the way through Uncle Janice, by Matt Burgess, and gave up.

11. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Just started War of the Worlds: Global Dispatches. Looks like a lot of fun :)

12. RJDiogenes

^^ I read that when it first came out. It's pretty good.

13. Tim Walker

Tim Walker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The TOS novel Savage Trade. Includes several different intriguing themes. :)

14. Miss Chicken

I have finished listening to Star Trek and History. I gave the book 4 stars but the narration only one star because of her Ga-Rack, Tee-Pole, Uhara and Marquess.

I am now listening to the newly released in English Swedish murder mystery The Last Lullaby by Carin Gerhardsen, narrated by Candida Gubbins. it is the third book in the Inspector Sjoberg series. Good so far.

15. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

Lowball, a Wild Cards Novel by Carrie Vaughn, Ian Tregillis, David Anthony Durham, Melinda M. Snodgrass, Mary Anne Mohanraj, David D. Levine, Michael Cassutt, and Walter Jon Williams

16. RJDiogenes

^^ Cool. I had no idea there was a new Wild Cards book, much less that Carrie Vaughn contributed.

17. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

copyright 2014

18. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Finished Three and now started on The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August

19. Miss Chicken

I am listening to The Fold by Peter Clines, Narrated by Ray Porter. Part of its description is

I read 14 by the same author last year and like it, so I downloaded the audiobook as soon as it was released.

20. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

The Martini Shot by George Pelecano, who's primarily known as the screenwriter for The Wire and Treme and a novelist. This was a collection of short stories and a novella. First time I've read anything of his. I really enjoyed the stories. Will probably check out a couple novels.