Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Marvel Now/ReEvolution Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

I've read both of those books several times, and saw neither of them in anything Hickman has done :shrug:

2. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Just using FF as an example, the Supreme Intelligence and how Hickman has him interacting with the minds stored within him is based on how Leto II in God Emperor of Dune interacts with his ancestral memories. Likewise the revelation of Black Bolt as a Cosmic Messiah created by Kree Experiment makes no doubt he is Hickman's Kwisatz Haderach.

3. kirk55555

Except the Supreme Intelligence has been like that for years? Honestly, I don't even remember the Kree being in Hickman's run. Outside of the junk NuEarth arc, and Hickman showing that he is too lazy to wikipedia and find out that the Power Pack aren't five years old anymore, most of his run is just a boring, forgettable mess. Better than his Avengers stuff, sure, but only because the abyss/ExNihlo/Infinity stuff made me wish Rob Liefeld was writing the Avengers instead :klingon: He doesn't care about characters, or a coherent story. Like I said, Hickman is basically the worst parts of Grant Morrison, without the flashes of excellence Morrison periodically has.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kirk5555 you really don't like anything that isn't just straightforward, with perfect heroes and no shades of grey do you?

I can't find it now, but I saw someone upthread mention Guggenheim taking over the S.H.I.E.L.D. book, and I still find it crazy that one of the guys in charge of the Berlantiverse DC shows on The CW is writing a comic inspired by a Marvel TV series.

5. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Guggenheim has been writing for Marvel for awhile. I think his best work was his Wolverine and Flash FMA. Most of his comics work is mostly trash imo (including Wolverine). But I don't think it's surprising the quality on Arrow went down the toilet once Kreisberg left to do Flash

6. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Guggenheim is also married to Agent Carter EP Tara Butters.

7. kirk55555

:lol: Wow, that is very, very wrong. From Suicide Squad to Secret Six to The thunderbolts to Sandman, I love a lot of very imperfect heroes and villains (and characters who are neither) in very morally grey worlds. I mean, yeah, Reed Richards and Iron Man shouldn't be planning to murder worlds to save their own, and The avengers shouldn't be allowing mass murderers to join their team, but not everyone needs to be a boy scout (although I like those kinds of characters, too). What I like is storytelling that isn't written like the writer is in a fever dream, and characters you at least don't loathe.

Hickman is an idiot. His avengers run is completely incomprehensible, with horrible characters and a story that is so badly written it makes Rob Liefeld look like Mark Waid or Peter David. You don't have to agree with me of course, but accusing me of "only liking perfect heroes" just because I think Hickman is more of a hack than Liefeld or Scott Lobdell is ridiculous.

8. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

it may be incomprehensible to you.

9. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I comprehended everything quite easily. Maybe it's your level of comprehension that's the problem?

10. kirk55555

:lol: Oh, yeah, that's it. Yep, if its not Silver age fun, its too complicated for me :rolleyes: I've read a good deal of "complicated" stories. Hickman's is just convoluted garbage. There is a difference. But, it doesn't really effect me. If you want to read Hickman's stuff, have fun. I prefer Avengers books that are competently written, which compared to Hickman or Rick Remender's runs is basically every other avengers book ever. I really don't feel like arguing about it anymore.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  11. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe it's not "convoluted" work that you don't like, perhaps its the slow burn nature of it that it's not appealing to you? I adore Hickman and once I realized all of his influences in most of his stories I fell in love with him.

12. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's possible that some of the leaps in logic might not have made sense if one of us was not buying EVERYTHING. Hickman's story was splayed across 5 titles (more?), which is a lot of money that builds up quickly if you're spending $20 a month on titles you file away without reading, or leaving volumes and volumes in your to-read pile for 3 years and more.

If you loved Hank Johnson Agent of Hydra, can I get a Hell-yeah?!!!

13. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You can get a "Hail (Hydra) Yeah!"

Fun story, nice concept, and Rage's* old costume from his Avenger days! Never thought I'd see that old outfit again.

But..Secret Wars logo on the cover? Bit of a mystery, that.

*The line about his name being "kind of racist" and his wife's reply about why she chose it were my favorite moments in the whole book. :lol:

14. Guy Gardener

Doom spent 8 years forcing the premature collapse of the multiverse. During the murder of infinite Earths, he collected/preserved fractured shreds of those Earths he demolished, and finally built himself "Battleworld" from those bibs and bobs, as well as most of 616 and 6160 that were there at the end.

This is why there are multiple conflicting versions of most of Marvel's popular characters splayed across the zones of Battleworld, and how Inferno, Civil War and Days of Future Past can coexsist with the Marvel Zombies and a mechanoworld where Ultron won.

Basically, Marvel can presently publish any old nonsensical rot right now, and not care about the consequences or continuity.

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I was reflecting on comic books today I realized there's almost nothing I'm excited about reading from Marvel aside from the primary Secret Wars mini. I'm pretty sick of all these alternate world stories. I think the only one I truly liked was Civil War and maybe A-Force. I can't wait for this prolonged step away from the real world to be over and to be back in "normal" continuity...

16. kirk55555

Secret wars has been mixed, but there have been a few good spin off books. I'm very interested in post Secret Wars stuff, so hopefully that turns out well. There are so many new books (and renumbered books I was already reading) that there is bound to be some good stuff, especially since Marvel is still much better than DC when it comes to quality of writers and editors.

17. Guy Gardener

I wouldn't say Magneto's "final" issues have been as good as the book was a year ago, but when all the mutant hating racists got on their knees and said "please save us Magneto, you're our only hope" (A massive exaggeration. Hush.) I did feel smugly satisfied.

Future Imperfect was nice, but Planet Hulk is dogshit.

I had forgotten that Widget from Excalibur had been Kitty Pryde from an alternate time line all along. Kitty Loves Starlord is weird. Dozens of Kitty Prydes from all the Batttleword zones are teaming up to take the fight to a big bad.

Nup. This is a dark time to be a Marvel Zombie.

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'm deeply concerned about the future of the Avengers franchise. I'm not seeing any A list talent on any of the post-Secret Wars titles. It'd be a real shame if Avengers went to seed because I have loved the hell out of the past decade of Avengers comics. When I was a kid they were the crappiest super team in all of comicdom and they've been the coolest since 2004.

19. Guy Gardener

The wiser readers should be sensible enough to follow Hickman.

It was painful to read the non Hickman Avengers books crossing over into Hickman's stories.

Of course, maybe it might be better if there isn't a super star making the other Avenger's authors look like shit?

Marvel will still make the same amount of money from comics, just from different places.

20. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i'm reading a lot of the tie-ins but really they're all What If type stories. some are pretty enjoyable. some not so much. i'm ready for SW to be over with so we can get back to really for reals stories.

and Mark Waid isn't A list talent? he's writing ANAD Avengers.