Spoilers TNG: The Light Fantastic by Jeffrey Lang Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Jun 15, 2014.

?

Rate The Light Fantastic.

1. Outstanding

41 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Above Average

25 vote(s)
    30.5%
  3. Average

14 vote(s)
    17.1%
  4. Below Average

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[​IMG]

I think it's no exaggeration to refer to The Light Fantastic (trivia) as one of the most hotly-anticipated releases of the year. Jeffrey Lang's Immortal Coil had already become one of the most-recommended TNG novels on the board (in a number of contexts, from Data- to tech- to continuity-heavy stories, and even locked room mysteries) by the time David Mack picked up the baton, cementing it as the starting point for a major sub-thread in the TrekLit continuity with his Cold Equations trilogy. Now Mr. Lang himself returns with a new chapter -- street date of June 25th.

Note the official blurb is very frank about all of this, including major plot spoilers for the afore-mentioned books:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  2. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I'm very excited for this story! I really enjoyed Jeffrey Lang's Immortal Coil, and David Mack's Cold Equations trilogy was wonderful. The ongoing story of Data 2.0 looks like it's going to be a good one. Anyone seen this on the shelves yet?

3. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

4. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I preordered this book .I.ve been looking forward to reading about Data's adventures and what he's been up to since the Cold Equations trilogy.

5. Paris

Do we know when this is supposed to take place? After the Fall in late 2385? Just after Cold Equations in 2384? The whole time in between? I can't recall if I've seen anything about this story taking place on the Enterprise at all. Do the other TNG characters play into it? What about Riker/Troi? We still have not seen their reaction to Data's return, have we? Can't wait!

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can't remember what he said exactly, or which thread it was in, but I did ask Jeffrey Lang in another thread and he did said that will see more TNG characters than just Data. I think I remember him referring to Geordi, at least, but I'm not 100% sure.

7. Defcon

^

8. Paris

^Thanks for that Defcon :techman:

9. Defcon

You're welcome. I knew which thread JD was referring to, so it was only a short search. :)

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thanks.

11. Paris

I just finished! I thought it was a great read, and found it hard to put down. Voted above average. Several of my questions from upthread were answered.

One thing I found interesting is that Voyager is said to still be in the DQ (presumably with the rest of the FC fleet) at the time of this novel, which is in November 2385. That's 4.5 years after the Full Circle fleet headed out there on a 3 year mission. I wonder if Mr. Lang/his Editor co-ordinated this tidbit with Kirsten MF Beyer...

I also dug how Mr. Lang dealt with the continuity issue that popped up between Mr. McIntee's Indistinguishable From Magic and Mr. Mack's Cold Equations, in terms of Geordi's love life. Us fanboys love our continuity fixes! Great job Mr. Lang! I hope to read several more Star Trek (or even just Data) stories by you in the future :techman:

12. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

This was a delightful book. :) Bouncy, engaging, a little silly in all the right places while showing us a very serious and convincing picture of Data 2.0 (a wonderful new take on Data), Lal, La Forge, and Moriarty. All very well drawn as characters. It was just generally a fun ride, "lighter" fare compared to the heavy Cold Equations or Fall series. Yes, there's a little too much in the way of cameos, but this is the sequel in spirit to Immortal Coil, so it's almost a requirement. There were some sparkling lines - Moriarty's "I am nothing if not a self-aware villain" being the best. The humour was great - slightly silly without ever becoming farcical, as I remember Lang's humour being from his other Trek books - and Alice is a wonderful addition. Shakti is great too. All in all, just a really enjoyable Trek book. Above average. :)

EDIT: As Paris said, the little continuity threads were appreciated, too. A fair few nods to Indistinguishable From Magic and The Fall alongside those to Cold Equations.

Data 2.0 is both greatly familiar and alarmingly unpredictable - Lang did a very good job with him. I'm eager for further Data/Lal adventures.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  13. Dsven43

Dsven43 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I liked this book. Thank you Mr. Lang. Any chance you can tell us when the "game" will continue? Lol.

14. Jeffrey_Lang

Jeffrey_Lang Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

The Game will continue whenever my Editor tells me it will! Glad you enjoyed the book.

15. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw my copy downloaded overnight. I should start it by the weekend.

16. Mojomoe

Mojomoe Commander Red Shirt

Absolutely fantastic read. I think I blew through it in a day and a half? Pure joy from beginning to end, and a nice change after The Fall (which was some great drama, but this felt like STIV after the II-III drama fest. After all, no presidents died, no gut wrenching revelations, etc.)

Overall, a damn good time was had. Although, I am simultaneously pleased and completely disappointed - I was hoping we'd have Data back in uniform again by the end :(.

In fact, that was my hope at the end of CE, and my assumption on seeing TLF announced - "Ok, THIS one will give us Data back, where he belongs."

17. Jeffrey_Lang

Jeffrey_Lang Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Glad you enjoyed it. I like the STIV comparison. That's what we were trying for. Sorry you were disappointed by Data not being back in uniform, but I think we'll find ways to keep him busy in casual-wear.

18. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:)This sounds like a great book I can't wait to start reading it.I got my book in the mail today.

19. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

By contrast, I'm very glad Data isn't in Starfleet. I'll be very disappointed if he (re)enlists. :)

20. Mojomoe

Mojomoe Commander Red Shirt

That's an interesting point, Deranged. Why's that?