The Nature of the TARDIS

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by starsuperion, Mar 26, 2014.

1. starsuperion

starsuperion Commodore Commodore

This is the first in a series of Schematics depicting the TARDIS as Grayprint files. This is the top down view of the Ship, as a topographical map. A schematic of the actual structure of the ship is incoming and is done from an angle..pending approval from willbswift my collaborative associate of the website, www.whoniverse.net.

There will be two more maps like this and subsequent schematics like the console, and so on, the next two maps will be one showing the upper floors, and the other showing the lower floors. This map corresponds to the maps located in the essential Guide to the TARDIS from Panini Press, which includes the Invasion of Time Map configuration, and the Journey to the center of the TARDIS. However, this depiction is meant to be the default depiction of all Type 40 TARDISes and not just that of the Doctor's. Gallifreyan Grayprint formats have been researched and rarely stray from gray backgrounds, with light blue lines. The Omega configuration not shown in this design, is an energy grid that surrounds the structure and can be folded back to certain areas reducing the conditional states for matter within.

The Dimensional Field Barriers noted in the MAP is the technical term for the Dimensional Dams noted by the Doctor to Clara Oswald in the Name of the Doctor episode.

There will be no scales in the Dimensional maps of the TARDIS..
    "Just how big is the TARDIS?" Sarah asks. "Well, how big is big?" the Doctor replies, "Relative dimensions, you see, no constants." He continues, "There are no measurements in infinity.

As Always you can get the full download at my website:
    http://time-lord-rassilon.deviantart.com/art/TARDIS-Pedestrian-Infrastructure-472961654?ga_submit_new=10%253A1407121783&ga_type=edit&ga_changes=1&ga_recent=1

Main 4 Floors:

[​IMG]

More to come! :techman:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  2. starsuperion

In the actual schematic of the ship ortho, it will be presented at an angle to depict the linear nature of the rings as being horizontal on top of one another sperated by lift shafts and some other types of support structures. If you want to know what the corridors look like, and basically what the shell rooms will be according to this map, then no need to look further then this concept art of the protyon core, or the tree from the Architectural reconfiguration room from Journey to the center of the TARDIS. It is strongly based on that, and also basically makes the outer structure with the inner "core DNA" as the doctor refers to it, one and the same in some sort of sense, which makes the whole thing feel like a living machine, and very organic.

So basically what you are looking at in the topography map above is a manifestation of this below:
    [​IMG]

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/944x531_b/p0187n6b.jpg

the marking on the eggs are basically the names, temporal phase, and locations of the rooms and their structural formations contained within. So when you see the exterior of the ship in the Grayprint I am working on, it will basically look like those just in loops and connected with spheres, which are actually the rooms, some intricate, some basic, some like the engine core are a bit more involved. basically the physical manifestation of the TARDIS core architectural data contained in each sphere egg on that tree is what the exterior of the ship's corridors and rooms are..very much like a living creature of sorts..very organic, and yet machine, totally machine. it is important to note that each dimensional Barrier is actually a sphere of swirling bubbling gray clouds surrounding each dimensional plane.

[​IMG]

http://33.media.tumblr.com/25da6a475535ccf1d6c1cc24c0486bac/tumblr_mly01wCqo31qijoeyo4_1280.jpg

the Topographical Layout above (MAP) design is a top down view of the infrastructure. It is liner in that some of the corridor lines are on top of one another. The outer ring is the holding ring, which is where special rooms are stored and protected from deletion.. tho there are none in this depiction because this is the floor model, like a brand new default mode type 40. that is the design direction I am going for with these. the lower decks will be the next ones to be done, and then a topography of the upper decks will complete the ship. In the handbook what it is describing can be summed up in what has been presented in the Invasion of Time episode where Borusa enters a room one way, then exits and ends up on another section of the ship.. this can be what the handbook is discussing in the dynamic way of configuring a ship's pedestrian structure. Through dimensional junctures, essentially a wormhole to another section of the ship only the wormhole is super thin, so when you walk through it, you don't realize it until you arrive in the next room or corridor. this is something tho that most time lords don't like to do, and even Borusa criticizes the fourth doctor about it..Stating a proper pedestrian infrastructure should be laid out in 3 dimensions, without those junctions. Tho, in the pedestrian infrastructure there are some present, just at the edges of the dimensional barriers, or dimensional dams as the 11th doctor said to Clara in the Name of the Doctor episode.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  3. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

mind = blown

4. starsuperion

Why thank you! The next page is a breakdown of the rooms as a text document and then the lower decks topography. There are 4 floors per deck as a default Type 40 has 12 floors. The console room is counted as floor zero, so under British building standards, it essentially has 13 floors..But only recognizes the additional 12 as different from the primary main floor.

5. starsuperion

Incoming!! Seeing as how this thread is all about the TARDIS, I didn't want to start a new thread for some other projects I have been working on, however I will be uploading very soon a couple of Grayprint sheets that cover the Great Bowships of Gallifrey, which were used in the Ancient Great Vampire wars. The design is loosely based on those seen in the Chronicles of Gallifrey Books, and the Black Scrolls of Rassilon that were presented in that series. I of course sought higher guidance from Will B. Swift of the www.whoniverse.net website to get the details correct. It is going to be a few days yet before I get the first page done, but I just wanted to give you guys a heads up that it is coming, as what I have completed so far is so cool, It's hard for me not to wanna talk about it.. so be prepared, the Great Bowship will soon be making it's debut here on trekbbs!! Look forward to hearing your guys take on the ship once I post it! stay tuned brothers and sisters! Cheers! :techman:

P.S. the P7E Ship from Underworld the Minyons Piloted was of Gallifreyan design, so some of the systems of the Great Bowship have them incorporated in it, since those ships were around about the same time as the Bowship was in use. Also the T7 Time Stations were also in use then as well, and we are quite confident those time stations were Type 7 TARDISes which carried the Bowships about the universe in search of Great Vampires, tho by the time of Trail of a Time Lord, the time stations were probably in little use, and one called Zenobia was converted into a summary trial court..anyhow, that station/TARDIS will also be making a debut down the road..so really the Bowship has more of a connection there, so now I don't feel too bad about posting those bowships here. LOL

6. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

That's perfect. Not enough has been done on the spacecraft of Dr. Who

7. starsuperion

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  8. starsuperion

Update on the Grayprints project for the Type 40 capsules..

As I have said before these will be based on a typical Type 40 TARDIS in default mode, as if you are just about to take her for her first run.. in the schematics I will be covering most of the power rooms, a topography map of the Upper, Main, and Lower decks, complete with a Text file that describes each room. Floor plans and schematics of the console Mark I, Mark II, and Mark II, console rooms, engine room, Arch-Recon, etc..etc.. Only about 5 or so Storage rooms will be depicted. corridors, and roundels, and security doors, and what ever else would be cool to throw in as the features of the ship. I will also be releasing this in Black and White. Now the scale of these is more conducive to large poster size prints, and smaller half poster sized prints. I will be making these in the large poster sized print, and packaging the entire set of plans in a cardboard tube with a TARDIS print for the packaging.. If in the future you would like a set, please let me know thru PMing me.. cost associated with print, and shipping are not mine.. so please consider that if you want any of these when I am finished.

Anyhow, here is an update on the work..

Here is the standard Grayprint, and below is a Black and White edition. these are the Main Decks, while coming next will be the text file, and map for the lower decks. After that is the Upper decks. :techman:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a work in Progress Text index for the Maps above.. First one is Grayprint, the next is the Black and white.. as always you can find these on my deviant art page..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wait till you guys see the Console schematic and the cutaway! that is going to be awesome.. but the Endo-Shell is going to be my favorite.. it shows the true depiction of what the map does. These will not have page numbers, but will correspond via their titles.

Large scale download here:
    http://time-lord-rassilon.deviantart.com/

9. starsuperion

I went back and looked at old WWII airplanes, and 1930's space plane or space fighter concepts, and reviewed the chronicle of Gallifrey book illustrations, and basically came up with the redesigned Bowship you see below. massive Staser canons replace the wing versions I had previously, and the command deck is now in the center in the back. the life boat orbs that I previously had on the outer section of the ship are now housed inside the main body, and are released from the shell door just in front of central command. It seemed logical to make sure your life boats were protected until you needed them, and also a Great Vampire would most certainly drain your life force the closer to the front of the ship, so it made sense to move the control center to be back side for protection.

I hope you all will like this version..:techman:

[​IMG]

10. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Great work on the boltships.

11. starsuperion

Just in time for new Who episode! the TARDIS lower deck Topography!

Default configuration.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  12. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

I admire your work though it seems to be connected with Doctor Who only in a very tangential way.

13. starsuperion

Hmmm.. I am okay with criticism.. In what way? :)

14. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

It's not even criticism, there's nothing wrong with your stuff, in my opinion. But it seems to me that it's made of 5% of material inspired by Doctor Who and 95% of your own imagination, which means that I can't quite know how to react to it, truth be told.

15. starsuperion

Forgive me, it was very late last night, criticism was the wrong word.. anyhow while I will admit the bowship is more 90% my concoction, the data and information and direction in the ship, the Eternal War in Heaven, and the Great Vampire, as well as any TARDIS work "recently" are all by the express collaboration and direction of William swift of the www.whoniverse.net website. With his assistance I have become very close to the canon as I can get lately with any of my work.

Now on the schematics of the TARDIS, while I admit the main floor plan is a bit my own design say 5%, the majority of it is rooted in deep research. for instance, the map itself is derived from the Journey to the Center of the TARDIS topographical screen shots, please see my references below.

Topographical Map reference:
    [​IMG]

After correlating various novel descriptions, audio plays, Comic art, and TV data we then selected and plotted the rooms, with the help of the Essential Guide to the TARDIS TV Maps:

[​IMG]

Many of the rooms positions and labels were derived from these references, and in some cases we had to identify rooms mentioned in Novels and place them in the map, and correlate where those rooms would be..however we are also coming at this from the mindset that this work is going to be only a TYPE 40 TARDIS in default configuration, a floor model, and not the Doctor's personal TARDIS, so there is some extrapolation in there, but it is mostly built on the references, and data collected by William Swift, which I assure you is very accurate..

[​IMG]

With all this data collected, and correlated, and discussed and argued over, we set about figuring out what a Gray print looks like on screen. With most of the Doctor Who classic series, and even in the new series, the majority of Time lord view screens on Gallifrey and sometimes in the TARDIS presents a format of light blue lines on a dark gray back ground. In some rare cases there is a minimal touch of red or white lines. With all the work and research we did, the end result is the map you see below which is directly based on the Journey to the center of the TARDIS screen shot above, all the rooms are positioned accordingly, it is as canon as we can get:

[​IMG]

The Lower a level and Upper level (Attic) are as close as we can extrapolate from Novel data, TV series references, comic book references like that of the 6th Doctor and his stroll in the TARDIS with Peri and Frobisher, and a shape changer Invader..This comic was also used to plug holes int he main floor map we did above.

Based on Known data, the TARDIS has a minimum of 12 floors, with our work depicting a type 40 Mark I default mode, we figured that it was wise to do 5 levels on the main floor, technically there would be 13 floors, because in British architecture they start at floor 0, and not 1..so there are 5 levels on the main floor, 4 levels on the top, and 4 levels on the bottom.

As for the Great Vampire, there is a bit of embellishment in the art work, however it is as close to the puppet they used in state of decay, with some maybe little exaggerated features like slightly more bat like ears, and the crotch area being like a unisex cover, which could apply to female GV's as well, though we did not go there because we have no data on any large GV's being such to date..

So While I admit there is some artistic license in the art work I am doing, I disagree with you about the TARDIS, at least the main floor plan..

The ENDO-Shell I will be doing based on the Topographical maps will be also rooted in canon, because it is based on the Architectural configuration Protyon core tree seen below, and the Mckinstry Concept for the dimensional view of the TARDIS..

So the exterior of the ship itself will be based on this but match the map above.

[​IMG]

I did the Bowship as close as I could to the Chronicle of Gallifrey reference art, which only shows the ship from the bottom, I extrapolated a classic WWII, and retro scifi design based on the architecture we have already seen on Gallifrey from their citadel, and so on..

At first I went with a retro rocketship type look, but then after looking at WWII stuff and current Gallifreyan TECH, and logical changes I came up with the current and final design below:

[​IMG]

The Gallifreyan Chronicle, and the Scrolls of Rassilon art work below led me to the art work above.

[​IMG]

16. starsuperion

I did a little jiggery pokery on the TARDIS Map and finalized some things I had been meaning to get to.. here is the result. :techman:

[​IMG]

17. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Looks great!