Last Classic Who Story you watched

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Pindar, Aug 29, 2012.

1. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I just watched The Mind Robber last night and I really enjoyed it. Liked the fantasy element and the story is off-beat, unique, and weird.

After finishing nuWho, I've been watching Classic Who, focusing right now on the Hartnell and Troughton eras.

2. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, I've got less than a half season left of TNG, and then I am going to take a second run through Troughton (Seen a few of them more than once, but, many of them I've seen on the one time)

3. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

The Dalek Invasion of Earth was a pretty good serial. The story and setting were interesting, the sets were decent, and there was some great stuff with the Daleks, including a Dalek coming out from the water and various Daleks wandering around London. The robomen kind of reminded me of when the NuWho Cybermen took over people by using ear implants instead of outright transforming them. The speech at the end was very memorable, and it was interesting to see it in context. Overall, this was an enjoyable 1st Doctor adventure. Next up, since I got the DVD, will be the 2nd Doctor serial The Mind Robbers.

4. Sindatur

Also check out the Cushing Theatrical Remake Dalek Invasion of Earth 2150 (Bernard Cribbins - Donna's Grandpa Wilf - plays a cop who ends up as a Companion for the Movie). Susan is much more age appropriate to the way she is written (IE: She's much younger), and it's in Glorious Vivid Color. A Number of differences, but, also quite similar to the Hartnell Serial.

If you don't find it on Netflix or wherever you're watching from, you can probably find it streaming on Youtube or Dailymotion

5. kirk55555

I'm not sure about the Cushing movies. I've heard mostly horrible stuff about them. I may get to them eventually, though.

6. Sindatur

Really? That's the first time I recall hearing anything negative about them?

He's not an Alien, he's a Scientist named Doctor Who and Susan is younger (Though, she's mostly written as a 10 year old in the Series anyways, so, IMHO, that's actually better), but, I'm not sure what else anyone might find objectionable about them, other than they aren't Teh Canon!!

7. starsuperion

starsuperion Commodore Commodore

I just finished the Castrovalva Story. It was interesting, and yet, I think that if remastered, it could be so much better.. taking into account the master's TARDIS and the crazy stuff that went on there with the event one drama..the zero room levitation could be redone using today's CGI to enhance it..but overall, not a bad story per say.. it is just the Master had just left logopolis, and here we start off picking up after that. really it does fit nicely if you watch the two back to back.

8. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't say they're horrible. At the very least, they're an interesting curio. I would strongly recommend you at least check out one of them.

Let's face it, Peter Cushing was bloody awesome in anything!

9. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

The Dalek design in the movies sort of influenced the new Dalek design-the bigger, 'jam jar' "ears", and the colorful look of the controversial "new Paradigm" Daleks. The impression of the police box doors on the interior of the TARDIS also might've been inspired by the films.

You'll also spot some familiar faces in the films. Bernard Cribbins (Later as Wilf in the Tennant era) plays one of the companions in the second film (an original character who is a replacement of sorts for Ian). Phillip Madoc who had a large number of Who roles (Although probably most famously Dr.Solon in Brain of Morbius) plays a bad guy.

10. kirk55555

Well, maybe when I've seen every avaliable story, story recon (which at my rate will be sometime around 2150 :rommie: ) I might watch the Cushing movies. Honestly I don't see any reason to rewatch the same story I just saw, but with a bunch of annoying elements in it. Plus, I might just break any TV that shows a story about a mad professor named Doctor Who flying a home made time machine.

From the bit I've read it also seems a good deal more kid friendly (with one review saying Cribbins is annoying comedy relief) and that seems like it would really annoy me. While the original serial is technically a kid's show, it took itself pretty seriously and didn't hold back on people dying and having the whole thing be a bad situation for the world. I really don't need to see the situation turned into some kiddie adventure starring a human scientist who apparently doesn't resemble the character of The Doctor in the slightest. Its just a generic 60s sci fi movie with Daleks, so unless I am literally dying to see anything even marginally related to the Doctor Who franchise, I don't think I'll be wasting my time on the Cushing movies.

Most reviews I've read say that Cushing put in zero effort for the movies. I don't personally care about Cushing anyway (he was decent as Tarkin, but that's the only thing I've ever seen him do), and seeing a Cushing that couldn't care less put on a performance as a goofy, human scientist with no connection to The Doctor really doesn't make me want to see these movies. The only good fake Doctor is Rowan atkinson :techman:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  11. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Man, if you've never seen Cushing as Van Helsing, Frankenstein or the likes, you've missed a treat.

12. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Forget that, check him out as Winston Smith in 1984... a character also played onscreen or radio by Patrick Troughton, Edmond O'Brien, John Hurt and Christopher Eccleston.
    O'Brien is easily the worst (not his fault tho), Cushing the easy best.

13. kirk55555

Well, I have no desire to see anything based off of a George Orwell book, regardless of who is involved. The topic of the story wouldn't even interest me if Patrick Stewart was doing it, much less a random actor like Cushing. I had to read Animal Farm in high school, and that is the first and laststory I'll read/watch/hear by that author. Honestly, watching 1984 would probably just make me hate Cushing. "Big Brother" stories always get on my nerves, and so watching the story that invented the term is probably not a good idea :lol:

14. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Peter Cushing, a random actor? Oh the humanity...

Kor likes this.
  15. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    They're not that great; I found them boring.

16. starsuperion

starsuperion Commodore Commodore

Ahem... no need to watch stories about big brother..we are living it.. NSA

Anyhow, Cushing is never to be classified as random... sorry Doctor Who the human inventor, Grand Moff Tarkin, and Van Helsing are great roles played.

Just watched Planet of the Daleks, now going back to catch the frontier in space..I am in love with this post earth Pertwee adventures..newly formed post three doctors Tardis concept and Master stories are intriguing!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  17. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I prefer him as the War Lord in "The War Games."

I just watched those two yesterday. They're fantastic. Right up there with "The Invasion" as some of my favorite Troughtons.

"The Enemy of the World" has a great plot twist in part four. Seriously, it's been a long time since classic Who has made me go WTF like that.

I also watched some of the incomplete, animated Troughtons, like "The Moonbase" and "The Ice Warriors." Fairly mundane base under siege stories. Animation is horrible though.

18. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Watched parts two, three & four for Doctor Who 'The Leisure Hive', a Fourth Doctor story with Romana II, via Netflix Instant this mornin'.

19. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

JNT's initial approach (as well as Chris Bidmead's) to WHO is pretty much apparent right away in that serial-disabling K-9 and the Randomizer, a more serious storyline, a more electronic score and slightly improved FX.

20. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

The Seeds Of Doom, it's still a great classic sci-fi, action.adventure story, The same team made equally awesome Terror Of The Zygons and I have to wonder what the 14th season finale would've been like had Robert Banks Sewart wrote, not that I don't love The Talons Of Weng Chiang though. I do love the Hinchfliffe era though, the stories are still entertaining and I just love the general look and feel of the show in that time point.