Welcome Fellow Trekkies! The GTD Get to Know You thread

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Alidar Jarok, Jan 21, 2010.

?

How excited are you that I'm here?

1. W00t!! Let's get this party started!

394 vote(s)
    71.6%
  2. I'm ok with it, I'll live.

116 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. Meh.

27 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. BOO!! GO AWAY!!!

13 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. Stingh2

Stingh2 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hi, I am a lifelong Star Trek fan. Started watching the original show on syndication channel 11 in the early 70's. Was very lucky to attend most of the conventions in New York during the 70's. From the 80's on went to a few in NY and NJ. Definitely was fun to attend this past years show at the Javits center mission New York. My main focus on collecting are autographed items especially trading cards.
    Regards
    Bill

2. CRLSarv

CRLSarv Cadet Newbie

Hello all! I've been a fan of Star Trek since I was a kid. I grew up watching TNG with my dad but my trekkie side has always been a relatively secret part of my life. Mostly because growing up I cared too much about what other people thought of me and Star Trek wasn't "cool". Anyways, I got married a few years ago to a huge comic book/video game nerd and I'm finally beginning to embrace the trek within! I've worked my way through TOS, TNG, DS9 and most of the movies but I'll never say no to anything Trek-related.

UnknownSample likes this.
  3. BaronNumNums

BaronNumNums Ensign Red Shirt

Y'ello. BaronNumNums here, I used to watch TNG when I was 4-6 but I was too young to remember most of it back then so it took me the new films, TOS and old films to really get hooked. I'm currently enjoying going through TNG, it's different but I do very much enjoy it.

So yeah even though my whole family are bing into sci-fi (and fantasy), I figure it was about time I looked elsewhere to really share my enjoyment of the franchise. Here's to exploring strange new worlds with some of you ;)

4. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Welcome to the best trek message board there is newbs.

5. UnknownSample

UnknownSample Commodore Commodore

My memory being what it is... what is it... oh yes, bad... I've probably introduced myself multiple times here.

In 1967, Trek pulled me out of bland suburbia, and alienation as a result of harassment at school, and got my brain and spirit going, and saved me. DS9 would be my second favorite. I became a science fiction reader and viewer, and in recent years I've found TOS holding up in SF terms VERY well, better than the other series, and I'm relieved. I was right as a kid, after all!
    ---------------------------------
    It just occurred to me that if you have the society around you coming down on you just for being different (the society in this case being school), you can get embittered in a way that really distorts you, making you go bad as a human being. Trek not only embraced and even rewarded differences... it also worked against this kind of alienation. It's a hard job, trying to sell people who have been through a lot of harassment that we can all come together and identify with the society as a whole. In the midst of telling some good adventure stories, they managed that.

6. Anni

Anni Cadet Newbie

Hello! I'm Anni! I never know what to say in intros, but I just wanted to let you all know I was here and say hi, so Hi!

7. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Hi Anni and hi to all of you new folks that have become apart of the trek.

8. Brodry Redhour

Brodry Redhour Ensign Newbie

Hello, I have been a Trek fan since I was a kid in the '70s. For the longest time, I have been a bit of a purist (only watching TOS/TAS) but catching the odd post-TOS episodes from time to time. Recently I have decided to watch all of TNG (halfway through S2 now), DS9, VOY, and ENT (I got as far as the Mirror episode). Playing Timelines from Disruptor Beam has piqued my interest in the other series so that I can understand half of the characters I am using in the game. Aside from that, I am a fan of the movies (Abrams's work not so much) and TOS novels.

9. Mizrach

Mizrach Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hello, I'm Mattia and I write from Italy.
    I'm a fresh ST fan thank's to the new Kelvinverse movies. During the past few months I watched:

TOS (all)
    TAS (all)
    TNG (currently in season 5)

Movie 1-2

Finished reading ---> Star Trek: Federation - The First 150 Years.
    Currently reading ---> Captain to Captain.

10. UnknownSample

Wow, I wonder what it's like to stay in Trek for that long.

11. Mizrach

Mizrach Lieutenant Red Shirt

Every day I discover something new :)

12. JDobbs

JDobbs Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hi, I just re-located these forums, apparently I registered here awhile and never knew or just forgot! Now is a good time to introduce myself I suppose haha. I look forward to talking with everyone!

J

13. kap

kap Cadet Newbie

Hi I am just visiting to get some info so my question is in this introduction.
    I cannot remember what original Star Trek movie I watched (80s?) but remember a scene that is very significant to me for personal reasons. We'll see how good you all are ;) with very limited info... its (probably) Kirk and another person walking on a ship and I think its Kirk tells the other to just keep walking like nothing is wrong and they won't be hostile to them and they do walk right past the hostile ones... best I can explain it. Its important to me in the sense that I am healing from childhood stuff and the scene keeps flashing to me, that I also had to pretend most my life that I didn't know "they" were "bad"... its pretty incredible... I'd like to see & capture that scene... Does it ring a bell? and about how far into the movie and which one? I am trying to scroll thru and find it myself but its not so easy. Thank you so much, I hope this wasn't too strange for you all... I figured I could depend on Treky fans to help me out :) K:biggrin:

14. Beamer

Beamer Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hi ^^
    I'm Beamer and I'm from New Mexico (that one state everyone thinks is either a part of mexico or it's own country inhabited by spanish speakers). I've pretty much been of Trek for as long as I remember. My earliest memory was when I was about 4 (possibly 3) The intro to Star Trek Voyager was playing on the TV and my Mom called out to my dad to say "the new Star Trek is on" which I immediately parroted as that impressive shot of the sun shining behind the ship was being played. A family friend also kept it on all the time, but it wasn't until we started buying the DVDs in 2002(?) that I really got hooked. Actually, the first forum I ever signed on to was one that hosted TOS mods for Star Trek Elite Force called space Station K7. They were the people who created the Starbase 11 Mod if anyone's heard of it (excellent work btw). From there I got into Star Trek Online and was a fleet admiral for a while.
    I'm currently studying for my Bachelor's Animation so I can get into the Video Game Industry but I already have my Associate's in Computer Science. I guess I also really like graphic design as I'm constantly making banners for a role-play group that does a Star Trek RP.
    I'm really looking forward to getting to know you guys!

15. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I don't recall anything like that from the TOS movies...

It sounds like what you're describing is a scene from First Contact, with Picard and Lily.

Is this it?

16. kap

kap Cadet Newbie

17. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

The only other thing I can think of is in Q Who? when Riker and Data are on the Borg ship. Riker says something like "they either don't see us, or they don't see us as a threat."

I'm sorry I can't be more help. It really does sound like you're talking about a Borg episode, so you could run through those and see what you can find.

Best of luck.

18. kap

kap Cadet Newbie

Just found that episode and watched, saw that scene, its not the one but you got me on the right track to finding it...

19. UnknownSample

Hello, Beamer. First generation fan here. As a map obsessed person it's almost inconceivable to me that anyone in the US might not be clear on all 50 states, but then I feel the same way about countries and planets.
    ----------
    I always loved station K7. And are you talking about a series of CGI "shots" all around Star Base 11? If it's what I'm thinking of, they're amazing. I would be happy to bursting point, bumming around Star Base 11 for a month.

20. Beamer

Beamer Lieutenant Red Shirt

There's actually a really good column in New Mexico Magazine called "One of our Fifty is Missing". They have dozens of stories about people mistaking us as a foreign country.

This is a pretty good overview vid on the mod, but several others have posted more in depth stuff.
    I guess they were going for a "historical recreation" as opposed to a "you are there" approach, which is why everyone's frozen. I know the subsequent Virtual Dreadnought Mod actually had moving NPCs and was a bit more interactive. They were also working on a TOS Season 4 mod called The Argas Effect that never got finished.