USA and UK surviving into the Trek era

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Noddy, Oct 4, 2013.

1. oddsigve

oddsigve Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

You`re right, thanks for clearing that up for me and I apologize to T`girl for false nitpicking :)

2. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I tend to think that old countries retain some trappings of their old cultural identities even though there is a unified government.

Also I get the impression that the government is more a providing and protective entity than a constant restrictive force in people's lives.

3. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

If you grew up in an old French village, with medieval French churches, Baroque French houses and town hall, where bakers still make the traditional bread, brewers the traditional beer, and vinters the traditional wine, you might have some notion of what being French means. Certainly, not all aspects of cultural identity are created by and enforced from up top, but are drawn from local culture.

However, that doesn't mean the being French in the 24th century is the same thing as it does today, or that it did in the 17th century. There is a greater degree of homogeneity today than their used to be, and I suspect there will be less in the future.

4. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My take is countries do exist, but all of them gave up a certain amount of sovereignty for a world-wide government. In essence, you have the "United States of Earth," of sorts, and each nation is a state within the central world government.

So, it makes sense to me that two nations that so shaped world history still exist, just as Russia, France, Japan, and Brazil, other mentioned nations, do. It's just that by the 22nd century, those nations have learned to work together and formed a world government all nations are partnered in, rather than working alone and against each other. Basically, a utopia, where the UN actually works.

5. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree. United States of Earth/United Countries of Earth:vulcan:

6. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Problem with that is, once France ceased being a political unit/country, how much longer would little Le Barre continue to be "French?" We seen in the past few decades where a country has ceased to exist, broken up, that the people fairly quickly stop identifying with the former large unit.

Just because a governing body is established at the world wide level, doesn't mean the countries that assembled it discontinue to be sovereign countries.

It all has to do with how much (and how little) United Earth is allowed to do. If UE's main duty is to speak for Earth on interstellar matters, and has few other abilities and responsibilities, it could be a fairly restricted administrative body.

Nothing says that UE actually can govern the entire surface of the Earth.

:)

7. Bad Thoughts

Most of those entities--Yugoslavia, Soviet Union, Czechoslovakia--were created late in the process of modernization when various allegiances to smaller nationalities had already been made. On the other hand, four decades of separation between eastern and western Germans created cultural divergences, but it did not undo the sense that they belonged to what should be a single entity. Would La Barre remain French? Franche-Comté is, in many respects, very Swiss, so I doubt that the disappearance of France as a political entity would make move any further in that direction. If their sense of Frenchness is drawn from their local circumstances and culture, then they will likely continue to identify their local culture as being French.

8. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Although the "United Earth" insignia we saw in the TOS pilot episodes was not a reproduction of the United Nations but exclusively the United Americas. :rolleyes:

Bob

9. T'Girl

^ ¡ Viva el Imperio de las Américas !

:devil:

10. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't recall that logo. Do you have a link to it? I only recall the Mirror Universe logo, with the Western Hemisphere, but that was sort of retconned with Enterprise's In A Mirror Darkly.

11. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In TSFS, a Starfleet Officer mentioned the city Lenningrad. I'd be curious to hear how the name changed back. Although in my mind the city was actually spelled Lennongrad, because Liverpool changed it's name in honor of the Beatles. If that's the case I want to know where Ringotown is located.

12. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

More Evidence the Soviet Union exists in the 24th century:

The SS Tsiolkovsky.

[​IMG]

13. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've always felt that Trek took place in an alternate universe starting back somewhere before the 1960s and that in the Trek universe, the USSR never collapsed. I would assume that they were a member of the Allies against the "Eastern Coalition" during WWIII as well.

14. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

By that reasoning, the Lakota nation must likewise exist: USS Crazy Horse,USS Lakota

Likewise, the Byzantine Empire must exist: USS Constantinople

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

It's been speculated that the officer could be referring to Leningrad Oblast.

16. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Um... huge difference in naming a ship after something and a plaque that says a ship was built in the USSR. :)

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why wouldn't countries like the US and UK still exist even in Trek's time? They're simply subdivisions of the larger whole: United Earth.

And United Earth did not cease to exist when the Federation was born (it's simply a Federation member world), so there's no reason it should happen here either. As UE is a member of the Federation, so are the US and UK and other countries members of UE.

18. Bad Thoughts

Sure, they could exist, but as what? Nation-states? Administrative territories? What kind of projects can they pursue? What laws can they make? Saying something simply exists is weak. A better question might be what became of the US after unification, and would be it recognizable to people today?

Isn't that a novelty gift from the Tsiolkovsky Museum? I believe you can see it there now.

19. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Probably nation-states, same as before. I'm sure they send representatives to the United Earth parliament, and have to abide by UE rules, but still exist nonetheless. Just like Federation member worlds are separate entities, but report to the Federation government.

20. T'Girl

Chekov also made reference to a Leningrad. The way things are going in Russia today perhaps they changed the city's name from Saint Petersburg back to Leningrad again.

Leningrad was also mentioned in the movie The Voyage Home.

Yes those ships exist, but where were they built?

:devil: