Spock and T'Pring?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by ZapBrannigan, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    It's likely a law that is still on the books but not enforced, at least not in the literal sense. There are lots of laws like that in RL that are politically, socially, and ethically incorrect, yet they remain.

The victor, Spock, won T'Pring and had the legal right to marry her, ignore her, take her away with him, or give her away (which he did). She then became the property of Stonn, as he is the person to whom Spock gave her. What Stonn chooses to do about the situation has been the subject of many fanfics, some of which have portrayed them as honestly being in love, some as T'Pring being no more than an opportunistic schemer no matter which man she ends up with, and there are some where Stonn chooses to treat T'Pring as legal chattel because she caused him to "lose face" at the marriage ceremony.

2. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

In order to fulfill Vulcan marriage traditions and to justify her presence aboard the Enterprise, T'Pring is "drafted" by the Vulcan science academy, and compelled be a civilian consultant to Starfleet. She would become Kirk's new science officer.

T'Pring: "Explain again why I am require to wear this skin tight catsuit?"

:)

3. Metryq

Metryq Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Vulcans are extremely "hot blooded," but took up a philosophy of stoicism and pure logic by choice. I'm sure there's more to pon farr than "Well, let's get it over with, or the species will die out."

Human societies have many things cloaked in ritual, yet never spell it out so bluntly as TV show dialog. Many sports are a vent for the natural competitiveness in our species, and many fans clamor as though the outcome of the game really mattered. (Those not current on their rabies shots even get themselves arrested for expressing their fandom.)

I agree with Zap about the Vulcan nunnery. T'Pring should have taken the fifth; what she admitted to sounds overtly criminal to me. But then, desperate and emotional people can rationalize almost anything...

4. JustKate

JustKate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe I'm guilty of misinterpretation, but I am sensing some T'Pring hate here - which is a shame because I really like her. Don't get me wrong: I adore Spock and don't understand why anybody would prefer Stonn. But once I get past that...if she really didn't care for Spock, how many other options did she have?

We are left with the impression that she didn't have many. She could (1) Go through with the marriage ceremony with Spock, (2) She could have Spock and Stonn fight for her (which Stonn implies was the original plan, if I am remembering this episode correctly) and risk losing Stonn, the man she wanted, or (3) She could try something off the wall.

She went with #3. I kind of admire her moxie, and it seems to me that Spock did as well. Stonn seemed a bit out of his depth, though.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is an arranged marriage we're talking about. Where does "care" enter into it? They have no choice.

6. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Actually the fact that she does have options means that her opinion or feelings can be acted upon. It could still have gone against her if Spock insisted on keeping her, but she did have some opportunity to hope for a different outcome. And it still worked out for her: Spock won but didn't want her and so she got what she wanted.

7. JustKate

JustKate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For one thing it may have been arranged, but that doesn't mean they had never set eyes on each other. Spock in fact makes it clear that they had met since he talks about a ceremony where they touch each other (some sort of partial mind meld, I've always thought) so that they will supposedly be drawn to marriage at the same time. For all we know, they might have known each other since they were kids. Even here on Earth not all arranged marriages involve two strangers.

But what I really meant was that she didn't care to marry Spock, and that is pretty obviously the case.