(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Derby and a few other clubs did Forest some good favours but they way were going, a top 6 finish seems unlikely unless we can turn around our 1 win in 6 games run. This season is so similar to last season...

* A slow start to the season

* We pick up points at lighting pace in the middle

* Enter automatic place

* Slump in last third of the season

We've won the same amount of games as we have drawn...15 fucking draws the difference between 6th and 1st.

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

No crowing (like we can talk!) but this seems to be very much the Billy Davies way of things, it was exactly the same when we went up, we were cruising then the wheels came off and we stuttered into 3rd place (although it should be pointed out we were well clear of WBA in 4th). And I'm sure Billy will point to not getting the support of singings in January, but he had loads of support with us and it didn't help much (if anything it seemed to hinder). It can't be denied that he's a good manager, but he isn't as good as people (himself especially) thinks he is.

That said everyone up top seems to be stuttering at the moment!

So Arsenal out of 3 competions in the space of a fortnight! Bit shocking that...

3. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Sounds familiar...

4. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And apparently on the verge of re-signing Jens Lehmann for the rest of the season....! :eek:

5. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

I thought that was a joke when I first read that today.

6. Angel4576

Fair play though, I'd rather have 700-year old Jens Lehmann than Almunia! :lol:

7. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

So last year it was Campbell, this year Lehman...maybe next year Wenger will hire the experienced head at the start of the season for a change?

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Thanks Preston! :techman:

9. HappyDayRiot

And thanks Coventry - what a bizarre result that was.

I reckon Derby are safe for their trips to Ipswich, Barnsley, Portsmouth and Brighton for next season now.

10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I'd still like a few more points on the board before I get cocky if I'm honest, but am definitely feeling a little safer!

11. Angel4576

Beat Palace away on Saturday, or Coventry at home and that's pretty much it I think. Can't see any of the bottom three pulling in 10+ more points than us in the final 7/8 games after that.

Sh1te season again though either way. Need some major rebuilding in the summer or we're fcuked next season. This will just have been a stay of execution unless we adequately replace the likes of Hulse and Commons. When they were here we literally could beat anyone in the league on our day (like Forest and Newcastle last season). Now, without them, there are just teams that we simply haven't a hope of beating.

12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

We beat Swansea without them? ;)

I might be being naive, but I do suspect that Glick and co might have been taught a powerful lesson this season, Nigel's been quite restrained but his comment about Sharp and "that's what you pay £1 million for a striker for" linked with the protests might encourage GSE to get the investors to put a bit more money in...and with Sav off the books that's 3/4 players' wages right there!

Or am I hopelessly naive?

13. Angel4576

Despite their position, Swansea aren't one of the top 3/4 sides in the division IMO - that would be QPR, Norwich, Cardiff and (I hate to say it) Forest. Might even have to add Leeds and Leicester to the list as well as I can't see us beating either of them anytime soon either.

Glick's been left high and dry at Derby by the owners. A thankless task of trying to run the club with no real support from either Appleby or our owners. The owners currently put in an amount every season to balance the seasonal budget back to £0 (as we're still running at a loss, somehow!), but beyond that there's no real investment, which is why Nigel's had to wheel-and-deal so much.

Personally, I think they'll be gone in the summer. If they've been taught anything this season it's that they're on a hiding to nothing. They know they've made a bad investment, around a sport that they didn't really understand, and Gasby's prepared to bail them out at cost plus a modest profit. They'd be mad to turn down that offer now.

Savage off the wagebill, probably Varney in the summer as well, and most likely Bywater too - that along with Commons' and Hulse's wages going, that's a huge reduction in the player wagebill. The worry is that Glick's said that we still need to get it down lower, which means that he's probably counting on Sav's, Varney's and Bywater's wages going as being key in achieving that, hence we probably won't use that additional space in the wage budget anyway.

Note the comments before the Swansea game when Glick said that there'd be heavy investment over the summer - When put to Nigel, he simply laughed it off. He doesn't believe it, and neither do I. Plus, they've backed themselves into a corner. They'll probably look to use the season ticket money to underpin acquisitions over the summer - only people will want to see the investment before they go for the season tickets.

The sooner they're gone the better IMO. :)

14. Angel4576

Despite their position, Swansea aren't one of the top 3/4 sides in the division IMO - that would be QPR, Norwich, Cardiff and (I hate to say it) Forest. Might even have to add Leeds and Leicester to the list as well as I can't see us beating either of them anytime soon either.

Glick's been left high and dry at Derby by the owners. A thankless task of trying to run the club with no real support from either Appleby or our owners. The owners currently put in an amount every season to balance the seasonal budget back to £0 (as we're still running at a loss, somehow!), but beyond that there's no real investment, which is why Nigel's had to wheel-and-deal so much.

Personally, I think they'll be gone in the summer. If they've been taught anything this season it's that they're on a hiding to nothing. They know they've made a bad investment, around a sport that they didn't really understand, and Gasby's prepared to bail them out at cost plus a modest profit. They'd be mad to turn down that offer now.

Savage off the wagebill, probably Varney in the summer as well, and most likely Bywater too - that along with Commons' and Hulse's wages going, that's a huge reduction in the player wagebill. The worry is that Glick's said that we still need to get it down lower, which means that he's probably counting on Sav's, Varney's and Bywater's wages going as being key in achieving that, hence we probably won't use that additional space in the wage budget.

Note the comments before the Swansea game when Glick said that there'd be heavy investment over the summer - When put to Nigel, he simply laughed it off. He doesn't believe, and neither do I. Plus, they've backed themselves into a corner. They'll probably look to use the season ticket money to underpin acquisitions over the summer - only people will want to see the investment before they go for the season tickets.

The sooner they're gone the better IMO. :)

15. HappyDayRiot

Can't see us winning at Millwall tomorrow. A draw will have to do. I'll settle for a Forest win to help reel the Jacks in though!

In fact, from this weekend on we're going to see a lot of the top 8 play each other pretty often. We only have to play QPR and they'll be up by then. Still has to be favourable, and we still have to avoid defeat at the likes of Sheffield and our bogey ground, Deepdale, but I'm clinging onto my belief again!

No Chopra though. That's bad!

16. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Fabio makes Terry Captain and kicks Rio to the curb without even a phone call, classy.

Micah Richards still can't get in the squad but Kyle Walker can. If Micah is too raw for the squad how is Walker not? Also Lescott over Smalling on form...GIVE ME A FUCKING BREAK :rolleyes:

Jarvis in there is a nice surprise, he's playing decent football at an average club. The real question is does Fabio still think Wilshire is a holding player or will he finally drop Lampard.

Andy Carroll in the squad :confused: NOT MATCH FIT & NO GOALS.

17. Jonny

Jonny Commander Red Shirt

Nice to see Liverpool get back to winning ways against Sunderland yesterday even if the penalty was a bit questionable but great goal by Suarez he's doing well for us and Carroll was unlucky not to score as well.

18. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Liverpool just need a bit of flair on wings and a left back would help too ;). Liverpool problem is not the first 11 its the other 14 players, Kenny needs to do some Harry Redknapp wheeling & dealing in the summer.

Next season I expect to see a stronger Big Six with...

Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, Man City & Liverpool all going for the title instead of only 2 of them.

19. Angel4576

Apparently Kenny's turned his eyes towards Ashley Young, so sounds like he's trying to address the wings problem.

Platini re-elected unopposed as the head of Uefa. Great.......

20. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

He would be a good buy but I doubt Liverpool have the money + it seems Fergie wants him and enquired about him in january with some rumors saying he had a bid turned down.