Chris Hemsworth.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by serenitytrek1, Oct 11, 2012.

1. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

I know Chris Hemsworth aka George Kirk is now a mega movie star in Hollywood especially with the phenomenal success of Thor/Avengers. However I really wish he would get lots of recognition as George kirk.

I would say that his role in the first 10-12 minutes of star trek 2009 was by far his best performance and his best acting in the whole of his film career.

The emotion, endurance and depth he brought as George Kirk was way better than what he brought to Thor’s character. it’s like with Thor he became known as this handsome beef-cake whereas in star trek people did see him as a serious actor.

May I also add that the beginning of Star Trek 2009 has been one of the best opening to any film ever and this won’t have happen if not for George Kirk's sacrifices to save his wife and son.

Chris brought so much emotion and realism in those scenes especially when he laughs and say Tiberius or when he kept on saying he loved his wife over and over again when he was looking at death in the face.

it was just so heartfelt something that I never got from him he he played Thor.

I just hope that as time goes by He will get mainstream popularity for his work in star trek instead of been the guy who hard a cameo in a star trek film.

2. bluepicard27

bluepicard27 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

he commands a powerful presence

3. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

Yeah I forgot to add that as well .If you want more of George's epicness as captain,check out this classic quote Captain Pike said to Jim:

''Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved eight hundred lives, including your mother's and yours. I dare you to do better.
    "

It just goes back to Chris awesomeness as George Kirk. I give him more critical praise for star trek than I do with Thor/Avengers:)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  4. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He, and those opening scenes, are some of the best Trek has to offer.

5. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

The prologue of Star Trek was one of the most emotionally powerful sequences in a movie I've ever experienced and is arguably the best part of the movie. This is due in no small part to Hemsworth's performance. He did a great job and set up the title reveal perfectly.

I also enjoyed his acting in Thor and Avengers but I judge him differently there since the character has a much different personality. I do think Thor is too broody in Avengers but I don't blame Hemsworth for that. Hopefully he'll continue to be great in Thor 2.

6. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

yeah I guess so..I know the some comic fan boys might come at me with sticks for what I am about to say but I personally think that Star Trek 2009 was a better film than Thor and Avengers and I have some back up to prove it.

star trek 2009 = 95% on Rotten Tomatoes and 83/100 on Metacritic.

Avengers =92% on Rotten Tomatoes and 69/100 on Meatcritic.

Sure star trek 2009 pales in box office/commercial reception but I have always been one of those sci-fi and fantasy movie fans that prefers quality over quantity.:)

7. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

I don't think anybody will be a movie star these days which is good. Plenty of movies had big succes without big names in the main role.

8. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

In Australia, Chris Hemsworth is popularly known as Kim the surfer guy from "Home and Away", a nightly early evening soap opera he did before heading to the US. So he was playing mainstream roles (and won an award for Best New Talent) before his fantasy/SF genre work.

[​IMG]
    Chris Hemsworth on Flickr

9. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

Much as Eric Bana will be better remembered in Australia as Poida rather than The Hulk or Nero...

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-W-vzELBt8[/yt]

10. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Just caught Hemsworth in CABIN IN THE WOODS the other day. Fun movie.

11. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

I like this picture of him (and what he looked like in ST09) better than what he looks like as Thor. I don't know. Too hulky doesn't seem to suit him well to me, but I've got friends that disagree. :)

----

And poor Eric Bana. That hair looks like a crime. O_o

12. Therin of Andor

Because he's playing Peter (pronounced "Poida"), the stereotypical Aussie bogan of the 80s. Mullets were compulsory.

13. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I have come to associate Chris Hemsworth so much with Thor that I have often forgotten he played George Kirk. He is almost unrecognizable as George Kirk.

14. Therin of Andor

Ah, but he has also "played" George Kirk Jr, in a very Thor-like way...:

[​IMG]
    George Kirk Jr in IDW's ST Ongoing by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

15. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

I like the way he looked. I wonder if he was a scavanger or a pirate...

16. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

I would have liked to see him play James T. Kirk instead, I think he would have done a better job than Chris Pine.

17. Therin of Andor

Memory Alpha summary:

"The alternate George appears in IDW Publishing's ongoing series, exploring events of the original series in the alternate reality, which clarifies that the boys lived with their uncle until George ran away to live with his grandfather. This later led to a rift between the brothers, James feeling that George had abandoned their mother. During their investigation of the neural parasites, Kirk and the crew discover George living underground with his family to escape the influence of the parasites after their attack on the colony, with the Enterprise subsequently devising a means to banish the parasites and cure George's family, which here is just his wife and son. At the story's conclusion, George and his family return to the colony, with George complementing his brother's success, a degree of reconciliation having been reached between the two of them."
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/George_Samuel_Kirk

18. Therin of Andor

Check out the new issue of IDW's "Star Trek Ongoing"!

Spoilers: http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=192769

19. Robert_T_April

Robert_T_April Captain Captain

I always wondered why there were over 800 people on this ship? Wives...children...pregnant wives. Can someone explain this? no big deal but, why were so many people on this ship?

20. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

^'Cause it's more dramatic to have George Kirk save 800 lives instead of, say, 75?

I dunno.

Also, the Kelvin was a pretty big ship.