About the falling scene..

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Blackmm, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Blackmm

Blackmm Ensign Red Shirt

2. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not really.
    The transporter dematerialized and rematerialized Kirk and Sulu a few centimeters above the pad, killing all or at least most of their acceleration from the Vulcan drop in the process.
    If nothing else, there should be safeguards making sure of such things.

3. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know, it seems to me, they are hitting that pad pretty hard.

Does anyone know what Chekov says after he says "YEAH" ...he says another word(?) which i have yet to figure out.

4. SalvorHardin

At what point do you mean ? After he beams them ? He says some stuff in Russian.

5. Yeoman Randi

Yeah...it sounds like he says, "Yeah Mayore!" But, the
    Mayore" is the word i cant figure out. I mean,, unless he is saying Yeah Mayore! WTF?

6. SalvorHardin

You are correct, he does say the Yeah Mayore thing but that's just what it sounds like. What he says is actually in Russian.

From a Yelchin interview :

Yelchin: There are certain things in the movie that are very Russian that is difficult for an American audience to pick up on.
    Like when [Kirk and Sulu] freefall and I capture them and I say something in Russian….[says Russian phrase]…it means "Oh man!" basically, which is something I ad-libbed. Which goes back to what I was saying.
    Chekov never speaks Russian in the series, and that was Russian slang. And that that is something I decided to add just for the hell of it, because JJ [Abrams] said ‘throw in some Russian, let’s do it for fun.’
    It was just a moment that needed some kind of reaction, and they loved it out there. It is one of those things that Russian people get.

7. Yeoman Randi

Salvor, THANK YOU!! Its been driving me crazy since the first time i saw the movie!
    (yeah, i know. short drive)

8. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!

I'd imagine that Chekov's line, "Compensating for gravitational pull..." was meant to explain why they didn't go splat on the transporter pad.

9. Yeoman Randi

Then i am guessing he does the same thing in another line that has been driving me crazy. Right after Pike gives Chekov the command to do the ship wide announcement, Chekov says, "Yes sir" and follows that with what sounds like "Rapidtoo". I guess he is saying, "Right away"? or something to that effect?

10. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

I've started saying "Ya Mayo!" when I get excited. I wish Yelchin would go more into detail about what he's saying and what it means. :lol:

11. SalvorHardin

Actually, what he said there was I believe " Yes sir. Happy to."

12. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

13. Yeoman Randi

^ AHA! makes way more sense! Can't tell you how my obsessive little mind has been agonizing over these lines! I think thats the last of it....(although, i'm sure if i think about it some more i'll remember another one)

THANKS GUYS!

14. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

That's what I always figured. I would imagine the ability to kill an acceleration like that to be one of the reasons why they would have transporter technology in the first place.

15. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

The Heisenberg compensator just does its job, it compensates.

16. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maybe the Heisenber Compensator has an Internal Inertial Dampener. Or a footbreak :P

17. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Well, if there is one thing JJ likes doing is having proud Russian men push over female workers and end up doing a better job than they can even though they were assigned to that post.

The other instance you might ask?
    LINK

18. SalvorHardin

The other instance of course being one where he was not directing and where he was one of the writers.
    And of course you don't have a clue who was responsible for whatever scene it is you are talking about.

Oh and Chekov's resume includes "Top of his class in Transporter theory" and "Expert in advanced theoretical physics" among other things.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  19. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No he was compensating for gravitational pull because there was an enormous black hole in the middle of the planet they were falling into. It implied that he had to change his calculations because of that.

20. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

It's a general enough statement that it could probably mean both.