Power Rangers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by SG-17, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

The price has been announced: It's $650, with free shipping in the continental US.

Suffice to say only the truly diehard fans will be getting this. :lol:

Rangercrew Blog

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Okay, I think we have a new winner for the stupidest-looking Ranger power-up ever. First off, those new swords are ridiculous, with the big plastic globes on the hilts. What the hell is that supposed to be? But just as stupid is the new armor with the big dragon heads sticking out of their chests. It's painfully obvious that the huge dragon heads limit their freedom of arm movement, especially when trying to spin those ridiculous swords with the big plastic globes on them. And the armor was basically doing the fighting for them, so why were the Rangers even needed? This was really pretty awful.

And while the climax of the episode made the Rangers look stupid, the first half of the episode made them act stupid. They were way too slow to catch on to the fact that the monster was just creating illusions, even though he was very obvious about his fakery.

Oh, and it was pretty incongruous when the Wild Sword broke free and destroyed all the buildings for a block around -- buildings that I doubt would've had time to be evacuated -- because it didn't want to hurt anyone. Talk about your mixed messages.

3. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I haven't caught up yet, but the power up we already have is pretty convoluted already with them having to stick a card in their brick phones. And those protruding heads from the chest in the armor... Not looking forward to those.

4. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    While there are elements of the Goseiger production design that are clever (the suits themselves are amazing, as are many of the monster designs) the Headder gimmick was pretty dumb.

Those swords always reminded me of those toys that kids push along the floor that have parts in them that "pop" as they go. And the stupid microphones that they tried to sell when they had the cast do their own version of the already obnoxious ending song? Urgh.

5. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

The name of the 2014 sentai series has officially been licensed

http://henshinjustice.com/2013/09/25/new-sentai-2014-ressha-sentai-tokkyuger/

Ressha Sentai Tokkyuger.

All that's known are it will involve trains

6. Christopher

Suddenly I'm imagining a Megazord made of Thomas the Tank Engine characters...

7. Samurai8472

Be careful what you wish for....

[​IMG]

Or you knew about this and you were just waiting for me to post it LOL

8. Christopher

^I didn't know about that, but I did think there was a chance someone had already done it. Ideally there should be a yellow component and a pink one, though.

9. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

10. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, that would be the battlizer from Lightspeed Rescue, IMO. It has the giant protruding chest armor, and then some. ;)

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoY54t8pP4Y[/yt]

In fact, pretty much all of the battlizers look more ridiculous than Megaforce's Ultra Mode. The Quantum Ranger's battlizer even gives him roller blades. :lol:

This reminded me of Lightspeed Rescue's Supertrain Megazord.

Which is not a good thing. :lol:

11. Christopher

Granted, that's a little unwieldy, but it's not as bad as these. The chest piece is more tapered and doesn't seem to interfere with movement nearly as much. And it isn't alive and moving. And it doesn't have a stupid-looking sword with a big plastic globe on the pommel. It's the double awkwardness of the armor with the big unnecessary piece getting in the way combined with the sword with the big unnecessary piece getting in the way that really pushes it over the top.

12. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Or at least until Kyoryuger is adapted :)
    http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130915004952/powerrangers/images/7/7a/Krcmacho.png

There's the "Trainsformers" videos on Youtube, if you haven't seen these before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIkh0FcDthg&list=PL30CC87D93CA15F55

13. Christopher

14. Praetor

They don't call it "Carnival" for nothin.' :)

15. Samurai8472

It's loud and colorful but that's what's making this season the most balls to the walls season yet

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmjE2tr-olU[/YT]

It's certainly reviving sales and ratings a bit after the incredibly depressing "Gobusters"

It's even got kid's up and dancing

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJi8bhvp020[/YT]

There was even a couple getting married that did the dance.

16. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

carnival mode is awesome. Kyoryuger has really been great so far. unlike Go-Busters, where i felt it was a chore to watch each episode.

17. Praetor

Agreed with you, fellow Praetor. (Times like this make me wish I'd stayed Praetor Neral. Almost.)

Go-Busters was horrifically boring and I nearly stopped watching partway through. Hiroya Matsumoto's Gold was all that kept me in. Part of the charm of super sentai is the campiness. The Kyoryuger characters are bigger than life and easily likeable.

18. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Gold and Silver were the two that kept me watching that series. i felt the first dozen or so episodes were pretty good...but i just wasn't interested in the villains. felt like the show peaked when they defeated Messiah. Enter and Escape just couldn't carry that weight.

19. Praetor

Enter and Escape did indeed stink, but the main three were even worse to me.

What I find disappointing is that they did do lots of interesting, cool things - such as the realistic depiction of hangaring and maintenance of the mecha, and other logistical aspects. For me, it wasn't that at all that made the series such a disappointment.

20. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

I think one explanation for that was that all of the main six are written in the mold of the hero protagonist.