eBook Formats and Readers ?'s

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by ConRefit79, Jan 6, 2010.

1. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

Actually, the B&N app for the iPad is poorly written. It should be fairly easy to fix it. But I think B&N don't care.

As for the Kindle app, the 2.1 update is pretty good actually. iBooks isn't too bad. I just want the margins to be user adjustable or made a lot smaller. I'm hoping the next release of iBooks will allow access to Georgia (best body font on the iPad).

2. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Kindle released an update that's been rolling out over the last few weeks; I just got it. Among other things, it finally enables sorting books into collections. About damn time. This is very nice.

3. Ktrek

Ktrek Captain Captain

COOL! This means that B&N will have that feature soon too! My biggest complaint about the nook is not having a better folder hiearchy system. Otherwise I love the device and use it every single day.

Kevin

4. JWolf

It's not folders. It's collections. Sony has had them since at least the 500. It's like a flat folder system that uses links to the content. So you can have the same content duplicated in multiple collections without having to have multiple copies of the same eBook on the device.

With 2.5.x update, Amazon changed the DRM.

5. garoo1980

garoo1980 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well guys it looks like I'm going Kobo with Calibre on my PC. Its not ideal, the lack of wireless and touch screen does suck, but for what I'm planning to do it should be good. The thing supports most formats, including Chapters (the only real store here in Canada) and the library, as well as getting newspapers with Calibre.

The biggest plus with it of course is the price. $149 is hard to beat

6. Ktrek

Ktrek Captain Captain

The Kobo is a fine device and I'm sure you will be happy with it. I just don't care for the design. Who came up with that blue button?

Kevin

7. garoo1980

When I was playing with it in the store I kept hitting the screen. I assume in time I'll start to like the blue button, become one with the blue button

8. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Wait a couple weeks and the non-3G nook should make an appearance. I expect the very latest they roll it out would be the first week of July.

9. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The blue button rewinds the book back 13 pages...wait, isn't that the red button? ;)

10. JWolf

I would wait on the Kobo until the firmware update. You will find the current bugs rather frustrating. Once the firmware has been released and confirmed to work, feel free to go for the Kobo.

Release date is said to be the end of June.

11. BrotherBenny

Are you speaking from personal experience, having several eReaders, or are you using secondhand experience?

I'm not being rude, I'm asking out of curiosity.

12. garoo1980

It was a gift so its here now, and so far I love it. Calibre is great too, lets you get newspapers and such on there no problem. True its touchscreen or wifi but for me that's fine. So far no issues with the fonts that people have complained about but I guess its only been a few hours :)

13. JWolf

I don't have a single eReader. Didn't even reinstall eReader when I upgraded my computer. That said, I do have a READER.

As for the Kobo, what I am saying is from information given on MobileRead by Kobo owners and what the President of Kobo recently posted on the Kobo blog. I'm not saying this to persuade anyone not to buy a Kobo, but to let you know that it has problems that you might find frustrating until the firmware update due the end of June.

14. garoo1980

I've noticed on some PDF files it doesn't resize even if you press the display button. It does suck but for me its hardly a big deal. If they fix it great, if they don't I'm still good with it

15. BrotherBenny

Here it is.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/...cm_mmc=Twitter-_-Buzz-_-NOOK Microsite-_-WiFi

Barnes and Noble are the first to do it. Nook WiFi only for $149, and the Nook Original 3G+WiFi, now down in price to $199.

Amazon now has a choice.

ETA: I have now sold my Sony Reader on eBay (in 14 minutes) and will be buying a Nook WiFi as soon as the deal is completed. I should have my Nook by the weekend hopefully. Or next weekend at the latest.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  16. BrotherBenny

And now Amazon have dropped the price of the Kindle to $189.

Still too rich for my blood though.

17. JWolf

I do think with these dropping prices, we may see more people buying readers. I am wondering though when we'll get to see readers with the new eink screens (faster and more contrast).

18. LightningStorm

LightningStorm The Borg King Commodore

That'd be nice, I'd really like to see color e-ink so magazines could be more viable on these devices.

19. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Color e-ink worth putting into a mass-produced reader is still a few years away. Even the best stuff at the trade shows right now looks like an old photo that sat in the sun too long. One alternative that is looking pretty good is a whole new technology that actually refracts light through tiny lenses or something, but even it is far from ready. I got my reader knowing I would probably be upgrading in a few years once the tech gets better, which is why I went with nook over kindle so I wouldn't be locked into getting another Amazon reader (lest I lose my books or break the law) when color and other features came along and someone else might have done them a few better.

20. BrotherBenny

Hopefully I will be able to buy my Nook at the weekend.

I await my buyer receiving the Sony Reader and leaving feedback on eBay, which will hopefully be Thursday. Then I can transfer the funds into my account. I'm guessing though that it will be next weekend when I have the time to go and buy it, unless I order it online, but we'll see.