Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Chris3123, Oct 15, 2013.

1. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They need to do a dark world tie in since they have that alien beasty run in around london?

2. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I thought cartoons were handled differently than live action. Although, if it's a Sony cartoon, I guess not?

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

But Kingpin did appear in the earlier CG-animated Spider-Man series -- voiced by Michael Clark Duncan, no less. So the rights did evidently change between then and Spectacular.

4. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Maybe Kingpin rights exist in a weird neither world. Isn't Quicksilver appearing in both the Avengers AND the upcoming X-men movies? I know that was a rumor--I think the Avengers one has been confirmed though. Quicksilver started in the Avengers, but, he's a mutant... so who holds the license to him? Both companies?

5. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I believe they sorted that out a while ago, something like:

Marvel can use Quicksilver but can't call him a mutant or use anything that links him to x-characters.

Fox can use him, but most of his important stories and history are off limits.

6. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

Drew Goddard to write Daredevil series

http://www.superherohype.com/news/a...dard-to-write-marvel-studios-daredevil-series

7. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I wonder if they'll actually film here. It would be neat to see some filming.

8. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Nice. :techman:

9. Christopher

Goddard's involvement is a good sign, but I kinda hope Mark Waid can be involved in Daredevil as a creative consultant or something.

10. Turtletrekker

11. Alidar Jarok

I'm surprised people don't the answers to this. I concede that the contracts aren't public records, but these are giant corporations. You would expect the number of people who know these things to be reasonably large and I struggle to see why they would care about keeping it a secret.

That being said, I wonder how wide the gray area is. Crossovers are fairly common in the Marvel Universe, so it can't be that wide. Practically everyone has been an Avenger at some point, so it can't be that wide either (I seriously doubt Wolverine can appear in Avengers). Kingpin prominently straddles two worlds, though, so he's probably one of the most likely characters to be in the gray area.

ETA: Regarding Goddard: I know him from LOST. Even then, it's hard to tell just how much individual input a writer gets in that show - particularly by Fourth Season (he seems to have started in the Third and had his best work in the later years). I like quite a few of his episodes, but, to me, they're more for the trademarked LOST "Oh Shit" moments that aren't necessarily tied to a particular writer (Desmond seeing the future, while written well in the episode, is more memorable because "oh shit, Desmond can see the future?").

However, I'm still optimistic. I wonder how Netflix has handled their shows in the past. In theory, they could have one writer write all 13 episodes since they don't necessarily have deadlines (they have to finish writing and filming before they release it). My guess is that won't be the case, though. However, I could see several teams of writers writing for their respective character at the same time.

12. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Willimon has his name on all but 4 episodes of the first season of House of Cards, but due to the more compressed second season pre-production schedule I don't think he will have done as much writing for it. The episodes are an hour long, so even a few episodes is a pretty big job for anyone but the most prolific of writers, especially if they're also helping run the show.

13. Turtletrekker

While this may not mean anything as far as the movies nare concerned, The Wolverine used "Viper" and the tie-in video game for the first Captain America movie used "Madame Hydra", essentially the same character.

14. Christopher

If you want a better indicator of what Goddard can do, rent The Cabin in the Woods. In fact, just rent it anyway. It's a hell of a movie.

15. Alidar Jarok

Well, that's a very different genre. I realize LOST isn't quite the same genre, but it's a little closer. Sci-fi action/adventure is closer to superhero action/adventure with some fantasy/sci-fi/crime drama likely mixed in.

16. Turtletrekker

17. Christopher

Goddard also worked on Buffy and Angel, which were pretty much superhero shows. And on Alias, which was a fantasy action-adventure spy show. He's definitely qualified.

Hmm, her credits are a mixed bag. Producer of Dexter, which I never watched and didn't like the idea of. Producer of The O.C. Consulting producer and writer on Birds of Prey, which was a female-led superhero series, but not a particularly good one. Writer of the Twilight movies, though I guess she can't be blamed for the content of the books, and I've seen reviews saying the films improved on or subtly satirized elements of the books.

18. Alidar Jarok

Yeah, it's odd. Dexter is good and there's at least a superhero connection with Birds of Prey (quality aside).

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Pretty excited about Goddard working on Daredevil. He's done a lot of stuff that I've liked over the years.
    I wonder if they're using Rosenberg's material from the ABC Family version of AKA Jessica Jones, or if they're having her start from scratch?

20. Turtletrekker

If you read between the lines of what Neal McDonough says here, it would seem that the 'Agent Carter' project is still a going concern.

He seems excited by the prospect. A Carter/Dugan/Stark-centric SHIELD show with a 40's setting would rock! I have no idea if Dominic Cooper would be available or willing, but it would rock.