Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along blog

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Bob The Skutter, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Hunter X

Hunter X Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It might be a "Whedon" ending, but in this case it also translated to a terrible ending. Didn't fit the rest of the story at all.

First two parts were awesome, though.

2. wellsweb

wellsweb Commander Red Shirt

#####

!!!SPOILERS!!!

#####

I can't BELIEVE this! The first two acts were so clever, funny, and musically satisfying! I was really looking forward to the third act, but I feel like I just got spat on. Instead of getting a third act that would leave us begging for more and haling Joss as a hero, instead of giving us a conclusion that would have us lined up to get the DVD, we get a third act that leaves me angry, feeling that I just got fed a pile of crap "wash"ed down with piss..

3. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Joss, you bastard. Yeah, part three was disappointing. I thought for sure that this would end with his reform. That's where the story seemed to be heading. Oh well. The first two parts were still great.

4. FALCONX0N

FALCONX0N Captain Captain

I kind of thought
    That Penny would end up a supervillian and they'd live happily ever psychotically after. Very tongue in cheek, but a very 'musical style' ending- -boy gets girl. Good. they both just like to eat babies, as so it happens...
    When that didn't happen, I was kind of shocked.

I'm still torn about the ending. On the one hand....NOOOO! On the other hand, it's kind of poignant. Did he get what he wanted, in the end, or didn't he? He was a Supervillain, after all, for all the singing and comedy and befuddled roommate/sidekicks, in the end, the 'supervillain' idea was played straight, which is the only reason I don't hate the ending- -it seems like it came out of thin air, but really, it was there the whole time- -it was just in song so I didn't take it seriously.

...I still want a Bad Horse ringtone.

5. Pilot Ace

Pilot Ace Captain Captain

By "his" reform I assume you mean Dr. Horrible's. I would've hated that, especially because I didn't feel the story was moving in that direction at all. If anything he was being pushed to be more evil, as it played out.

That would've been awesome!

6. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

Well, at least we meet the Evil League of Evil!

Bad Horse
    Professor Normal
    Fake Thomas Jefferson
    Tie-Die
    Dead Bowie
    Fury Leika
    and
    Snake Bite

That was sad. And not nearly as entertaining as parts 1 and 2. :(

7. Arrqh

Arrqh Vice Admiral Admiral

I think that would have been uninteresting, personally.

Anyway, I thought the ending was totally appropriate. This whole thing was about people failing at things. It was like the musical version of The Venture Bros really!

8. FALCONX0N

FALCONX0N Captain Captain

Yeah, you think I'd have learned by now to try and guess what Joss Whedon was about to do...

Though I totally called the Renee's death!

As for Dr Horrible, I don't think the last installment was quite as bad as some people saw it. For one thing, Captain Hammer just singing "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH" while giving Horrible the finger was one of the funniest things I've seen in a while.

Though, come to think of it, why did the death ray explode? Did I miss some phelbotinium?

9. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

^It's because Dr. Horrible is a totally inept supervillain and his death ray was a piece of crap. :lol:

10. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

It was a Stun ray with the word "Death" taped over Stun. :lol:

11. Hunter X

Hunter X Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For sure, Act III had some really funny bits, and I found the songs just as strong as any of the other ones all the way through--though Captain Hammer's number went on a bit too long for my liking. I just didn't think that the overall story came together well, plus it reduced Penny's character to a plot device. I don't mind unhappy endings. I like a lot of Joss' endings. This one just didn't really fit for me, and I thought that it cheated to get where it wanted to be more than a little bit.

12. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

When it was dropped on the floor you could see red arcs coming off it, that weren't before, that indicates it was damaged.

13. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

I think Joss miscalculated on this one. You can go for the shocking twists when you've got other stuff to fall back on, but this effort wasn't substantive enough for that. I feel this ending is going to hurt DVD sales.

14. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The ending was a bit of a surprise but I thought it was good. Dr. Horrible was basically a super villian want to be (like Johnny Snow!) who had a sort of romantic view at his profession as shown by the first two episodes. He sort of accepts it in the end of the third and is faced with the harsh reality of what he aspires to in the end, once again thanks to the fact that he isn't really good at what he does, and in the end despite getting what he has always wanted it leaves him empty inside.

I hope they do more of this in the future, not sure if they have any set plans for continuation (if someone does know I'd like to be filled in).

15. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I thought Act III was a fitting end to the overall story. Captain Hammer's "Everyone's a hero" was just a little too long for my personal tastes, but Fillion played that bit to perfection as the clueless, narcissistic superpowered oaf. Dr Horrible bearing responsibility for Penny's death was, I thought, the right way to handle the character. He's just not very good at being evil and his heart really isn't in it, yet he wants to be a supervillain nonetheless. It felt right to me that he would continue on, not knowing what else to do now that the life of his love was dead -- and since it was by his hands, he becomes emotionally numb, a necessary step in taking his evil goals seriously and understanding the cost of his actions.

16. Tomato

Tomato Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh jeezz Joss, Not again. how very cliche of you.

seriously just when I thought you could make a fun campy show you had to turn around and do that.

17. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I agree completely. I kinda think some people got attached to their idea of what should happen, rather than just going with it.
    I know people think it's cliche that Joss killed the love interest again, but I thought it was pretty much the only way it could go down.

18. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Basically agree with most of the sentiments, but still enjoyed it.

Great cameos from David Fury & Marti Noxon as the newsreaders, and Doug Petrie & Drew Goddard on the Evil League
    (they were all writers on Buffy & Angel btw)

19. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've loved NPH since Harold & Kumar. I've enjoyed Joss Whedon's little side projects like this and the Sugarshock webcomic.

20. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

What a sad ending! But, I felt, very appropriate. As the old adage says, "Be careful what you wish for."

It did crack me up, though, that Bad Horse was a real horse.