AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Apr 20, 2012.

?

How do you grade The Avengers?

Poll closed Nov 26, 2012.
  1. A+

46.4%
  2. A

31.8%
  3. A-

9.3%
  4. B+

5.3%
  5. B

3.4%
  6. B-

1.6%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

1.2%
  9. C-

0.3%
  10. D+

0.3%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0.3%
  1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

That is a great scene with Steve Rogers, but I almost feel like it works better on its own. If it had been in the Avengers, it may have interrupted the pacing of the movie.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I watched the Cap scene and can see why it was cut. It was a good scene, but it doesn't really add a lot to the overall team vs. Loki and the Chitauri story, and would probably fit better in a Cap solo movie.

3. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

The same could be said for a lot of the Black Widow stuff.

4. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would've had that as the post-credits Captain America scene.

5. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Window isn't getting her own movie any time soon, unlike Captain America, so most of her development will be in Avengers.

6. CorporalCaptain

And yet Captain America becomes the leader of the team. Events which further his story within the context of these events further the story of the team. The same is true for all of the characters in the ensemble, Iron Man included.

Really, the most neglected character, the weakest link as it were, is Hawkeye. Do any of the deleted scenes shed light on his story?

7. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

The same could be said of the Tony/Pepper scenes.

8. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

No, that relationship was important to the climax of the movie. Without thast scene, Tony would just be a loner with nothing to lose except his life when he went to dispatch the nuke.

9. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

In a back-handed, way, I think we are agreeing with each other. We are both arguing that the scenes in question add to the development of the character and their growth. One deleted, one kept.

The Tony/Pepper scenes, as you say, add to Tony's arc at the end of the movie. I am saying the same Steve's scenes. Although, there is certainly more mass-audience interest in Tony/Pepper than in Steve/Waitress.

10. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

IMO, the Captain America scenes should have been kept. It would have added more depth to his character.

11. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

It's three minutes, which is a touch long. I think it was worth keeping, but it's certainly on the line.

12. CorporalCaptain

The part just at the diner, which is the part I really want to keep, is considerably less than three minutes. (Video pulled so I can't run though it again.) I think everything else in the three minute clip could have been tightened up.

13. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Three minutes to a movie that was already over 2 hours long, I don't think it would have that much of an impact.

14. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Except that the rule of film editing is to cut everything. This scene is nice, but it doesn't advance the story, so I see why it was cut.

15. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

The 3-day Labor Day weekend estimates have The Avengers expansion back at #14 for the weekend.
    It also allowed the film to officially cross the $1.5 BILLION mark!!

It's domestic total is at $619.5 million, another $1.5m and it will achieve a 3x multiplier.

16. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Any word on if the re-release has anything new? Or is it just the same thing I've already seen five times?

17. Captain Craig

I know a few online people at other sites and they don't reveal that anything new was added unfortunately.

18. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

^

Good to know, thanks. I was worried I'd miss out on something, but i guess not...

19. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

It may not enhance the story but it does add more depth to a character which in of itself "advances the story." It make us see and feel that much more in connection with Steve and how out of place he is. I don't think we quite, completely, get it in the movie as it is. Even Cap's own movie ends the moment he wakes up so we don't get much time dealing with Cap adjusting to life 70/80 years in the future. And unless Cap's second movie takes place before Avengers we're not likely to see much (if ever) of Cap trying to adjust to life in the 21st century.

20. Captain Craig

^^^
    Well, he's only been awake a short while. I feel like it was a few weeks at most.
    Not like those weeks were the only adjustment time to present day that are acceptable.
    Plenty of "man out of time" moments to be had in Captain America: Winter Soldier.