is TOS the only 'true' Star Trek?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by xvicente, Apr 28, 2013.

1. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The only true Star Trek consists of the 3rd, 17th, and (of course) 47th minutes of the episode "The Cloud Minders." Nothing else is real.

Anyone who disagrees is wrong.

Period.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

And blue warp nacelles.

3. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm more of a Star Trek Helmet kind of guy.

4. Benjamin Miner

Benjamin Miner Ensign Newbie

Hey, to the guy who posted that *BRILLIANT* Sgt. Pepper parody cover: do you have that in any sort of larger image file? I love that, would like to see it bigger, maybe add it to the collection of oddball art on the walls of my workshop. HATS OFF to you, sir!

5. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

If TOS was the only Trek series, I wouldn't be a Trek fan. :p

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Biggest one I have.

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

That is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. Did you do that Nerys?

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Yep. Two of of my favorite things. Trek and the Beatles.

9. ichab

ichab Commodore Commodore

They should also recognize that without the other series Trek would have died after original cast got too old for the big screen. I think some are just bitter that the other series lasted longer ;)

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I know I'm so bitter that I own nearly all of Trek on DVD and am repurchasing TNG on Blu-ray. :p

11. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

From the first airing of The Man Trap in September of 1966, through the last movie appearance of Kirk and two others of the main TOS cast in Generations in November of 1994, it was 28 years.

On the other hand, between Encounter At Farpoint (September of 1987) and the end of the TNG era with Nemesis (December of 2002), it was 15 years.

TOS might not be the only "true" Star Trek, but it is undeniably the heart and core of the Star Trek world. When Spock appeared on TNG it was a event, when Riker appeared on VOY it was a blip. When DS9's crew time travel into one of a previous series episodes, instead of the Tribbles episode, they could have been inserted into a TNG adventure, but they weren't.

When the ENT mirror universe got their hands on a future starship it was a Connie, and not a Galaxy/Intrepid/Defiant.

[​IMG]

12. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

There is no such thing as "true" Trek. I'm an old-school TOS partisan myself, but that doesn't mean I didn't watch all of later shows when they were on the air. (And have fun writing books based on most of them.)

And if somebody grows up on the Next Generation or NuTrek instead. I'm not going to tell them that "my" Trek is the only "real" Trek.

Trek is not a religion, nor should it be treated as such.

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Blasphemy! :lol:

14. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I foresee a future where the world is populated entirely of Trekfans, each wearing the costume from their favorite series or film, and mass warfare breaks out with them firing prop replica phasers at each other to determine who are the True Believers and Worshippers of the Great Bird of the Galaxy's Vision.

15. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

They'd been thinking of recasting the TOS crew since 1977, when Paramount were concerned the TV actors weren't big enough to carry a big budget movie. It nearly happened again in 1993 with Harve Bennett's The Academy Years prequel movie.

16. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought Bennett's prequel movie pitch, and the development work that occurred on it, were a bit earlier than that. As I recall, it was his pitch for Star Trek VI, prior to any development work on what we know today as TUC. That would put it around 1989 or so. By 1993, I'm fairly certain the wheels were solidly in motion for TNG to make the leap to the big screen.

Frankly, in retrospect, I wish they had gone with Bennett's plan. As much as I love TNG on TV, the TNG movies were, IMHO, nowhere near the quality of their TOS predecessors. Rather than kicking TNG to the big screen and changing the formula that made it work, I would have rather seen the silver screen adventures continue to be TOS-based with Bennett using his prequel plans. And I daresay that Bennett, who I think "gets" the core of Star Trek better than J.J. Abrams, would have produced better prequel films than Abrams has.

YMMV, of course. :)

17. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

TNG was a massively popular show by the early nineties. Despite what eventually happened with the movie series, moving the cast to the big screen was the logical thing to do, and I don't think they would have ignored the TNG cast in order to focus on a bunch of newcomers in a risky academy series.

18. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It is the most popular version, not that surprising due to its being the original and also not being overly exploited (79 episodes and 6 films plus "Unification" over 25 years, callbacks in "Relics", Generations and "Trials" and now two remakes vs. hundreds of 24th century episodes and four films in 15 years). Doesn't mean the others are poor, let alone inauthentic, and most people enjoy TNG as much or a lot more when it is not calling back to the original.

19. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I never get into this "true fan" crap. There is no criteria for being a false fan or a true fan. It is generally a term fans use against other fans to dismiss or discount the views and opinions of fans they disagree with.

20. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Amen! Preach it, brother!

Infinity diversity in infinite fandom!