The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by jefferiestubes8, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glassneedles

Glassneedles Ensign Newbie

I can check once I get off work. Should be home pretty close to 7 and will check it out as soon as I get in. I didn't notice anything wrong with my copy of the sampler though. Did you get it and can hear the same thing with it?

2. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ He mentioned in the very post you quoted that the sampler is OK for him.

3. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

That's a bit concerning. Hopefully the quality won't fluctuate too much like it did with TOS-R.

Although I'm sure Okuda and Curry will do their best to keep things as consistent as possible.

4. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Many thanks, Glassneedles - I'd really appreciate that, just let me know if you can clearly hear the dialogue from both the centre and front right channels. As Sho highlighted, I do have the sampler, and it's perfect. Unfortunately, I suspect the front right channel has been replaced with a duplicate of the centre (haven't had time to listen properly) - although how they could muck this up bearing in the mind the sampler is correct is beyond me.

5. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

I had the same thought, and just by watching the season 2 trailer there are noticeable differences between the 2 effects houses.

6. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ For example?

7. MickJo1701

Well, looking at the shots of the Enterprise in the trailer the original colour scheme is less pronouced than the first season shots. Its more of a greyscale as opposed to blue/green.

Small details like the main impulse engine is now red when it was changed it to orange, the deflector is a bronze in the before/after shot when it was changed to burgundy in season one.

Small changes, but by no means a complaint. The new fx of the drone interfacing with the console in Q Who is excellent for example.

8. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am afraid that it the same on my disk centre and front right.

9. LOKAI of CHERON

Damn, thanks for checking though. This is just an unforgivable cock-up, doubly infuriating bearing in mind there are no errors on the antecedent release. If any fan with the US set could let me know if the same exists on that release I would again be most appreciative.

10. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

It's only really a problem if they switch to a different company every season. If they stay with this one company for the rest of the run, then hopefully things will be consistent from here on out. I don't want to see a repeat of TOSR, there is no need for that.

I much preferred the blue/green look that they had going with the Season 1 set. I hope we don't lose that. It really made the ship look vibrant.

11. Glassneedles

Glassneedles Ensign Newbie

Doh! Read your post rather quickly and must of missed that. Sorry.

Just watched the first 5 minutes of EAF on season 1 and I have the problem too. As you said hugely distracting. Watched the opening of the Naked Now and Code of Honour. Didn't hear anything wrong.
    Has anyone else noticed any issues on the other discs?

12. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Working with more than one company is probably speeding things along considerably.

13. NewHorizon

Yes, of course, more hands make lighter work but what I'm saying is if they stick with this company...and perhaps even just let this company hire more 'hands' rather than have two effects houses, they can achieve greater consistency. They should be comparing notes and making sure their work looks the same.

14. LOKAI of CHERON

There's no problems with the other two episodes on Disc 1 - but as you intimate, I'm going to be crossing my fingers as I go through the rest of the set.

15. MickJo1701

Interestingly the changes are on already completed shots (i.e generic Enterprise in orbit shot). surely CBS-D would have provided them with the recomposited elements to save time and work.

16. NewHorizon

In light of the sound issues in EAF now, I'm glad I waited before ordering. I certainly don't want to pay for a defective set...nor do I want to start collecting if the effects are going to be inconsistent. I think I'll be waiting for the release of Season 2, or at least some more Season 1 / Season 2 comparison shots before I lay down any money.

I had such high hopes that the mistakes and inconsistencies of TOSR would not be an issue with this set. I hope they get their act together on this.

17. Trekfan76137

Trekfan76137 Ensign Newbie

Bestbuy.com is not permitting any orders of this with the "in store pickup" option. Wonder if they've already sold out?

18. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

I have the US set and can also confirm that dialogue is present on the front right channel. Like most, I hadn't watched EAF on this new set because I assumed it was identical to the Next Level disc. Looks like we're going to have to try and get a disc replacement program going. :(

Don't bother getting the discs from anywhere else -- they're the same everywhere.

The most likely explanation is that the wrong .wav file (i.e. the center channel) was imported into the FR field by accident before DTS-HD encoding. Not sure why they would need to re-encode the audio though... unless they were trying to fix something. I did notice a slight audio skip during the trial on the Next Level version... maybe it's due to that?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  19. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm sure they'll have plenty of copies in the store; you just won't be able to reserve one online.

At least I HOPE so, because that's where I'm planning to get mine. :p

20. Warped Trekker

Warped Trekker Ensign Newbie

There is nothing wrong with the sound on EAF in this set. I just got my copy here in USA and the dialogue is only coming out of the center channel. My receiver automatically set itself to pure DTS mode. Try changing your receivers mode before saying there is a problem. 5.1ch sounds perfect and dialogue only in the center channel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.