Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Closed Thread

Old August 26 2014, 03:25 PM   #1
MadaBidyoni
Lieutenant

Enemy mine

Hi
do you know about other films like "Enemy mine" that shows a sci-fi'ish conflict between sides that can't communicate, & how they resolve it?
Old August 26 2014, 03:28 PM   #2
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Re: Enemy mine

ReadyAndWilling, is that you?
Old August 26 2014, 03:35 PM   #3
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Any existence of other films similar to 'Enemy Mine' is a closely guarded secret, because knowledge is power.
Old August 26 2014, 03:41 PM   #4
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

MadaBidyoni wrote: View Post
Hi
do you know about other films like "Enemy mine" that shows a sci-fi'ish conflict between sides that can't communicate, & how they resolve it?
Like all superior lifeforms, they use Google.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Old August 26 2014, 05:18 PM   #5
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Hi, OP. Try seeking out these overlooked gems:

In the 1996 Uwe Boll film Enemy Mime, a Parisian mime and a performer of Swiss mask theatre are stranded on a remote Mediterranean island together and must put aside their creative differences and find a way to communicate in order to flag down help from a passing yacht. Complications arise when they're discovered by a Camorra drug-running operation that abducts the masquer and forces them to do an endless series of silent reenactments of Luchino Visconti's "The Damned."

In the 1972 martial arts film classic Yaro-U, a ninja and a samurai are stranded together on a remote sandbar in the Seto Inland Sea. Able to communicate only through their swordsmanship styles, the pair must find the correct set of forms on which to build a relationship -- and even a friendship -- before they starve to death. Complications arise when an adorable komodo dragon swims onto the island and melts the stony hearts of the brutal warriors, each of whom desires him for a pet.

In the hard-hitting 2011 sociopolitical drama Public Transit, a Republican and a Democrat coming from separate fundraisers in Manhattan fall drunkenly asleep on the subway and somehow wake up stranded in Hoboken wearing feather boas and party hats. For the sake of survival, they must put aside their differences and learn to translate each others' coded campaign-speak in order to make their way back to civilization. Complications arise when something that appears to be a poor person walks up and just starts talking to them just like that and it's super-awkward. What happens next will amaze you.

I guess those aren't particularly sci-fi'ish, though. For something more in that vein:

In the 1964 sci-fi cult hit Return to the Seventh Planet*, an American Spacetronaut and a British Spacetronaut are stranded together on a remote world in the Beta Thurii System. Theoretically they both speak English, but constant petty bickering over the correct spelling of "aluminium" and "colour" and puzzlement over why you'd call a "couch" a "settee" interferes with their attempts to get past their radically different coffee-drinker vs. tea-drinker worldviews and repair their Fuze-O-Rocket. Further complications arise when an omnipotent space alien that looks suspiciously like Michelle Angelo in a silver bikini appears from a nearby cave, and offers herself as Queen of Space to the first Spacetronaut who can serve her a glass of beer at the correct temperature.

* Fun fact: according to a guy I met in a bar the other night, this film was the indirect inspiration for the Star Trek episode "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield." At least I think that's what he was saying. It's a bit of a blur.

Last edited by BigJake; August 26 2014 at 05:40 PM.
Old August 26 2014, 06:39 PM   #6
Mage
Commodore

There was ofcourse Space Above And Beyond, however, that was technically never resolved. And it's a tv-show, not a movie.
Old August 26 2014, 06:47 PM   #7
Servo
Rear Admiral

BigJake wrote: View Post

In the 1996 Uwe Boll film Enemy Mime, a Parisian mime and a performer of Swiss mask theatre are stranded on a remote Mediterranean island together and must put aside their creative differences and find a way to communicate in order to flag down help from a passing yacht. Complications arise when they're discovered by a Camorra drug-running operation that abducts the masquer and forces them to do an endless series of silent reenactments of Luchino Visconti's "The Damned."

In the 1972 martial arts film classic Yaro-U, a ninja and a samurai are stranded together on a remote sandbar in the Seto Inland Sea. Able to communicate only through their swordsmanship styles, the pair must find the correct set of forms on which to build a relationship -- and even a friendship -- before they starve to death. Complications arise when an adorable komodo dragon swims onto the island and melts the stony hearts of the brutal warriors, each of whom desires him for a pet.

In the hard-hitting 2011 sociopolitical drama Public Transit, a Republican and a Democrat coming from separate fundraisers in Manhattan fall drunkenly asleep on the subway and somehow wake up stranded in Hoboken wearing feather boas and party hats. For the sake of survival, they must put aside their differences and learn to translate each others' coded campaign-speak in order to make their way back to civilization. Complications arise when something that appears to be a poor person walks up and just starts talking to them just like that and it's super-awkward. What happens next will amaze you.

I guess those aren't particularly sci-fi'ish, though. For something more in that vein:

In the 1964 sci-fi cult hit Return to the Seventh Planet*, an American Spacetronaut and a British Spacetronaut are stranded together on a remote world in the Beta Thurii System. Theoretically they both speak English, but constant petty bickering over the correct spelling of "aluminium" and "colour" and puzzlement over why you'd call a "couch" a "settee" interferes with their attempts to get past their radically different coffee-drinker vs. tea-drinker worldviews and repair their Fuze-O-Rocket. Further complications arise when an omnipotent space alien that looks suspiciously like Michelle Angelo in a silver bikini appears from a nearby cave, and offers herself as Queen of Space to the first Spacetronaut who can serve her a glass of beer at the correct temperature.

* Fun fact: according to a guy I met in a bar the other night, this film was the indirect inspiration for the Star Trek episode "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield." At least I think that's what he was saying. It's a bit of a blur.

I... I'm just...

...wow.
Old August 26 2014, 06:55 PM   #8
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Servo wrote: View Post

I... I'm just...

...wow.

Old August 26 2014, 06:59 PM   #9
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

He really can, you know.
Old August 26 2014, 08:23 PM   #10
ManOnTheWave
Rear Admiral

And we will all be impressed.
Old August 26 2014, 08:46 PM   #11
MadaBidyoni
Lieutenant

BigJake wrote: View Post

wow thanks
but why can't i find an IMDB page for these?
Old August 26 2014, 09:07 PM   #12
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Not sure. Keep looking! You could try alternate spellings.

(Errr... in case that was a serious question, I was joking. None of those are real movies.)
Old August 26 2014, 09:28 PM   #13
Neroon
Mod of balance

MadaBidyoni wrote: View Post
Hi
If you've been around here for any length of time, you ought to know that such threads are discouraged. You have a wealth of tools available to answer such base, simplistic questions. Please make use of them or you run the risk of an infraction for spamming.

Thread closed
- Proverbs 12:20
Closed Thread