My homebrew kitbashes

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Ian Keldon, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Are those weapon pods outboard on the Hokkaido?

Also, same ship, it would seem to have a lack of photons from the upper side.

Love the Yamato too. Seriously heavy duty pylons and rear firing torps.

2. arthur2sheds

arthur2sheds Lieutenant Red Shirt

There are some really interesting ships you have created there. As soon as my post count is high enough i will start my own thread of ships i've created using Vance's toolkit! :bolian:

3. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

LOVE the DaVinci!

4. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

The Da Vinci in color
    [​IMG]

and a new b&w, the Gopher-class courier
    [​IMG]

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nice New ships :) :techman:

6. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Ok this one has a bit of a story to go with her:

Under the terms of the First Khitomer Accords, Starfleet was required to reduce it's military posture by a substantial margin. One of the ship classes to feel the resulting pinch was the venerable Constitution class. Already well on the way to retirement, ships of that class could be stood down in considerable numbers, allowing the Federation to quickly make it's treaty quota without sacrificing the Excelsior class ships which were intended to become the new mainstay of Starfleet operations.

As a result, the bulk of the remaining Constitution class hulls still in service were systematically retired to the “mothball fleet” scattered among surplus ship depots across Federation space. A few, mostly newer builds with a decade or less on their spaceframes, were retained as training vessels and testbeds for new ship systems.

One such was the USS Eisenhower, a Block III hull of the Enterprise sub-class, originally launched in 2285. Tapped in 2297 for testing duty, Eisenhower was towed to the Luna Shipyard where she was partially dismantled, and then reassembled. Primary changes included swapping out the ship's impulse engines, a reworking of her secondary hull's structural bracing to accommodate a new nacelle pylon placement and the replacement of the nacelles themselves with a hybrid circumfrential/linear configuration that was also somewhat longer then her previous units.

Additionally, the connecting pylon between the hulls was reinforced, thickened and shortened, and the photon torpedo bay was reworked from two side-by side manually operated tubes to a single tube designed for automatic operation. The phasers were replaced with a newer model that, while more energy efficient had less total firepower than her previous system. This effectively reduced the ship's offensive power enough to remain within treaty limits despite the inclusion of a fourth set of phaser banks on the saucer section dorsally and ventrally. The new banks were reoriented 45 degrees off of their original emplacements as a result.

Other changes included an improved M/AM reactor, and a reworking of the ship's science facilities. The total number of operational crew was reduced from the 500+ then commonplace on Constitutions to just under 400, less than the crew requirement for the class 30 years prior.

The scope of the changes led Starfleet to designate the ship as “lead” of a new subclass. Eisenhower was rechristened USS Excalibur while retaining her original NCC designation. She was relaunched in 2299.

The new systems worked mostly as planned. The ship was not quite as capable a combatant as she once was, but her power requirements were roughly 11% less than before the refit, increasing her operational endurance. The changes to the nacelle pylons and the new hybrid nacelle design proved beneficial as well, tightening the ship's warp field substantially, increasing her “dash” speed to Wf 13 [Cochrane scale], and her cruise to Wf 9.5 at the cost of a slight amount of maneuverability.

Starfleet considered the experiment a success, and an additional 5 hulls were refit to the same standard. The Excalibur subclass remained in service until 2334, when the last ship was again retired. The subclass included the Excalibur, as well as the John F Kennedy, Midway, Yammamoto, Sel'tarn, and Sursek.

[​IMG]

7. Kaiser

Good ship and Back story :) :techman:

8. The Castellan

The Castellan Commodore Commodore

9. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

post deleted...see below

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  10. Kaiser

Nice Ship :) :techman:

Minor nitpick NCC Number over the pendent on the nacelle

11. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

What's the problem with it?

12. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

Normally the stripe is broken in the middle so you can read the number easier.

13. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Ok, fair enough...how's this:

Charlemagne-class cruiser
    [​IMG]

and moving on...a movie era Galaxy-class inspired by a minor plot point in the novelizations of ST II and III

Galaxy-class proposal (2280s)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  14. Kaiser

Nice Ships :) :techman:

15. arthur2sheds

arthur2sheds Lieutenant Red Shirt

Just another query about the Charlemagne class vessel. I'm wondering how useful or successful the navigational deflector/scanner would be, as it is mostly blocked by the primary hull. :vulcan:

16. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

I was toying with the idea that it was a "half circle" dish, like the 24th century Intrepid class has.

Speaking of which, I was bored last night, so...

USS Voyager (c2268)
    [​IMG]

and the movie-era Pioneer class
    [​IMG]

17. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

request from another forum.

"movie era" USS Charlemagne
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  18. TheLoneRedshirt

TheLoneRedshirt Commodore Commodore