The Klingons

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Delta Vega, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

The Enterprise solution to the "Klingon problem" was very Trekkish and built around canon and continuity.

2. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Ditto.

3. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Would you be saying that if TNG came up with them instead?

4. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

A dumb idea is a dumb idea. The whole stupidity that everything has to be tied to the humans. It would have been better to simply keep it as a Klingon issue having nothing o do with Earth, like, oh, there are different races of Klingons just as there are different races of humans. Far more interesting that way.

5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I find that less interesting. Why should everything be a reflection of the human norm?

6. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

I thnk that having the Kilingon empire composed of a wide multitude of species, some of whom consider themselves to be "Klingons" if not by species, then by way of political means, or as a cultural ethnicity.

it would be pretty easy to see the TOS Klingons, the TMP Klingons and the TNG Klingons as being three entirely separate species.

Multiple species could be something like second and third class citizens within the Empire, the Klingon "middle-class," and lower down the social ladder there would then be the servitor (slave) class.

:)

7. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

To me, the view that there was a compelling need to address TOS vs TMP Klingon foreheads comes from the same place that finding a problem with Chris Pine's eye color comes from.

8. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Me too. A makeup change. Nothing more. It's fiction, people. There IS no good in-universe explanation, because there was never meant to be, and it never bothered me.

9. T'Girl

(sigh) If only this had been true.

:)

10. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Or the change of Bewitched's Darren from Dick York to Dick Sargent. I mean, for chrissakes, this was a sitcom about an advertising guy married to a WITCH.

11. John Mason

John Mason Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

easy on dude... Love the culture, loath the arrogance .... nevermind...

12. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

It is true.

13. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, it's really not.

The honorable TNG Klingons were developed before Ron Moore ever walked through the door. He didn't submit his first script to TNG until the third season and didn't become a staff writer until close to the end of that season. The honor- and warrior-oriented Klingon culture had been well established by episodes like "A Matter of Honor," "The Emissary," and "Heart of Glory" long before anyone on the TNG staff even knew Moore's name.

Sure, Moore became known as "the Klingon guy" during his tenure, and he may have taken inspiration from The Final Reflection, but he is hardly responsible for the basic Klingon culture that TNG established.

14. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure that's the same kind of reaction; in the case of Bewitched, some were fond of York, so the casting change was shocking or upsetting to some, but its still a comedic actor playing a "type." Nothing too drastic. It's not like York was replaced by Lucille Ball dressed as a man.

In ST's case, a major genetic change was made to an entire species with no explanation, so i'm guessing someone in the audience would say something about it, hence any attempts to explain it in Berman period of series.

15. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why do the Andorian antennae move in ENT but not in TOS? Is that a genetic change, too? :lol:

16. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

Okay, yeah, I agree in principle, but looking it back it would have been really cool to address the change as a spell that Endora cast hoping to give Sam a better looking husband. "Durwood seems to like it, and I changed everybody's memory, Dear, so what's the problem?"

17. jayrath

jayrath Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm far less concerned about the Klingon change in foreheads, than in tossing into the garbage the concept of Romulans as ancient Rome in the future. It was far more compelling.

Romulans were originally the noble villains. The Klingons in TNG became some bizarre notion of Samurai, with more than a little fascism thrown in. I'm not a great fan (to say the least) of Trek novelist Diane Carey -- she grafted a lot of proto-Tea Party politics onto TOS -- but she at least had the good sense to note of a miltary that advances through assassination to write, "And we made peace with that?"

18. T'Girl

Never completely agreed with that. The Commander and "the old guy" in Balance seemed noble enough. But the Commander from Incident wasn't particularly noble, and none of the Romulan crews from either of those two episodes stood out as noble.

So how were TOS Romulans (as a group) noble?

:evil:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Damnit, I want an in-universe explanation! I also want to know why some have the antenna on the front of the head while some have them on the back of the head!

Maybe a big-screen trilogy! :rofl:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  20. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That would be a great trilogy, but first there needs to be a trilogy about why Nausicaans in enterprise look different from nausicaans in TNG. That is some important stuff right there. The story needs to be told.