Orci again claims new series in pre-development

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Ian Keldon, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Shit Out of Luck.

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll believe it when I see a pilot.

3. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

An animated series isn't my first choice but it could be excellent a la The Clone Wars and it is far better than nothing. At the very least, it would demonstrate that Star Trek is perfectly viable on TV and keep the franchise alive in that medium. I still think that if Game of Thrones can make it on premium cable - nerdy content at a high price tag - then why couldn't space opera do the same?

The voices can also follow TCW, use the movie actors when feasible - Samuel L. Jackson must be cutting them a deal based on his love of Star Wars - and use voice actors for the rest. I like the guy who dos Obi-Wan better than Ewan McGregor and Anakin is good too although he does sound a bit too surfer-dude-ish at times. ;)

4. The Overlord

The Overlord Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Samuel L. Jackson doesn't do the voice of Mace Windu in the Clone Wars cartoon, its voice actor Terrence C. Carson who does that voice.

If the cartoon series is set in the reboot universe and uses the characters from the movies, they will get professional VAs to do sound alike voices, rather then shell out for Chris Pine to come in every week. If it was a cartoon about say USS Titan, they could get Jonathan Frakes and Marina Sirtis to reprise their roles and have the rest of the cast be professional VAs. If they set a cartoon in the reboot universe, but have it follow a different set of characters, it can have a more affordable voice cast as well.

5. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Don't forget Tim Russ, who broke into voice acting with Sym-Bionic Titan as Solomon Kane.

6. The Overlord

That is true, I forgot about Tuvok. My point is its easier to get returning actors if its based on the old continuity rather then the rebooted one. Jonathan Frakes costs much less then Chris Pine.

7. Temis the Vorta

Huh, I thought I read that was Samuel L. Jackson. But it really doesn't matter, since finding a voice actor to do a reasonable approximation of any character is always an option.

The real question is, are the kids who will be the target audience for an animated Star Trek series interested in the likes of Riker and Troi? Do they even know who they are? The kids will want to see the same characters they've been seeing in the movies they've actually been to.

8. The Overlord

Well I am just saying that basing a show on something like Titan is the only you have any of the live action actors involved in the cartoon. If its going to be based on the rebooted universe and be about the crew from the movies, they will have to use sound alikes.

9. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Are you targeting children or adults for this series?

10. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

Eh, it'd certainly be better than nothing and could be the next stage in eventually seeing the franchise back on TV in live action form.

11. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll believe it when I see it too.

Though I will say this: animated yay (any new Trek on TV is a good thing); Nu-Trek nay (TV Trek should be in the Prime Universe, all those lense flares on a weekly basis will ruin any television after a season or two).

12. Temis the Vorta

Depends on the audience of the channel where it will be shown. Some channels like The Cartoon Network are designed to attract a kid audience (although the late night slots are probably for grownups). Others, like Showtime and HBO, are going for a wealthy adult audience that is willing to fork over subscription dollars.

That's the first question to answer - who are you selling this concept to, and why should they prefer it over whatever pilots they already have in development?

13. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, if Orci is involved they will probably be targeting childhoods. :p

14. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

The original animated series was also a kids cartoon. Back in the 90s, we had kids cartoons that could be appreciated by adults as well (Batman, X-Men). It would be great if they try to go down that route. The one promise of an animated series with the rebooted TOS crew is that it allows for more exploration since, imo, movies are ill-suited for that format. Also, a kids cartoon would create a new generation of Trek fans, which is disturbing to think about ;) Anyway, since I want the new movie to do well, I'm all for this.

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

:guffaw:

16. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Not bad.

17. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Star Wars The Clone Wars is a good template for an animated Star Trek to follow. Well, minus the stupidity of the recent Droid arc and a few other goofy episodes...

18. robau

robau Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Sorry, I can't be onboard for any sort of cartoon. Star Trek is about displaying what mankind is capable of. I don't care how pretty the animation is, it can't even begin to capture the spirit of Trek. There has to be real people and sets and props.

19. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, but George Lucas is paying for Star Wars The Clone Wars out of his own pocket I don't think a Star Trek series could get that kind of cash.

20. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

That's nonsense. If it's good, it's good.