Earth Heading For A Mini Ice Age - 15 years

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Dryson, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Dryson

Dryson Commodore Commodore

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-N...n-just-15-years-scientists-say/2751436649025/

Given all of the balliwhoo about the climate and global warming with the Koch Brothers saying that Global Warming is just a myth and the Vatican saying that Global Warming is not a myth should we believe headlines like this?

Are headlines such as these meant to make people paranoid to then run out and purchase thousands of dollars of survival gear and then not need it or is it meant to meant people laugh and not prepare so that when the mini ice age comes those people will freeze to death?

Or is it a combination of both?

2. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I'm merely a layperson with a strong interest in science and rational thinking, but I think you're looking in the wrong places for answers. You wouldn't choose between a witch doctor, or a snake oil salesman, to provide you with medical advice. In that same vein, neither the Koch Brothers through their various paid media outlets, nor the Vatican and its foundation of religious tradition and checkered past, are reputable bastions of scientific research.

According to Science Daily:

For those who don't know, the Maunder minimum was another instance where the Sun's solar activity decreased. It occurred during the 1640s, and resulted in a miniature ice age:

In short, if you're expecting Day After Tomorrow conditions, expect to be disappointed.

Now, all of that aside, you asked about the global climate and decreased solar activity. Well, let NASA explain it for me, because they're good with sciency words that are actual science:

In short, the earth is still getting warmer, and even after our "mini ice age", would continue to get warmer, because the rise in global temperatures are due to our own Greenhouse Effect, and not the solar output of the Sun.

In short, to answer your questions:

1) No, do not believe headlines that draw conclusions without presenting solid evidence, and especially be wary of sites with an agenda, such as any politically driven media outlet.

2) There have been headlines about this coming solar decrease for years. This is not the first it has been discussed, or reported upon.

3) See 1 & 2.

Most importantly, think critically. Don't just accept something that is stated by a newspaper, or reporter on the news, look for the evidence. Check the data. Read peer reviewed science journals, and see what the scientific community is saying on the subject. Don't fall for conspiracy theories, or sensationalist headlines because they sound good.

I hope this helps answer your questions.

3. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

The previous maunder minimum occurred at a time with multiple other factors contributing to the "little ice age." While a new minimum would likely subvert increased temperatures and loss of polar ice for a few years or even decades, the idea that it could give us any leeway in preventing long-term climate change is a dangerous one.

4. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Nope.

Mathematicians are not climatologists...or even meteorologists.

Keep trying!

5. dswynne1

dswynne1 Captain Captain

And "Climatologists" aren't real scientists either, when one can be "bought" by the grants...

6. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

So accepting a research grant means you're not a scientist? :o

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I think that depends on the research.

8. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

I think it depends on who's giving the grant.

9. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

AHA! I knew it! This fits much better with all my old 1970's National Geographic's where "top scientists" keep insisting an ice age is coming soon.

10. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Frozen Margaritas all around! :beer:

11. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

12. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

No? Okay then, more margaritas for the rest of us.

13. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    There's no pleasing some people.

14. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

We are still in one, it's slowly getting to the end of it though....

15. MantaBase

MantaBase Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

You are a very well informed "lay person" on the subject. Glad to see it. Wish more were. It's very easy for people to seek out that which supports their opinion or agenda and simply take it as fact. We all have personal agendas and it is easy to simply cherry pick what we want to believe and dismiss what we don't.