USS Grandeur - One... More... Time!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Vektor, Mar 21, 2006.

1. candida

candida Fleet Captain

I don't think you need to defend anything. You've given us the best looking, most exciting ship since 1701-D arrived in 1986 - and some of us can remember what it was like to wait months for Trek news. :)

2. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, it may not look like much, but here's a tiny bit of progress to show on the old girl.

[​IMG]

A lot of stuff has changed here, especially the way the torp launcher housings adjoin the deflector cowling. I have also FINALLY added the pulse cannons on either side of the deflector, and the ring inside the deflector dish has been revamped.

The torp launchers themselves have been totally reworked but I'm not showing the new versions in this rendering. Ditto for a number of other details I want to keep under wraps for the moment.

There will be a bunch more coming in another week or two so stay tuned.

3. FrontLine

FrontLine Nekkid Hedonistic Ethical Slut Admiral

Vektor you may not want this type of pressure but...I feel like a junkie who just got a free sample from their pusher. Man this feels sooo good just to see a little sample. I am still in awe of the amount of physical detail you put into your models. This shot makes me imagine that there is a box sitting some where on some hobby shops shelf waiting for me to buy it and put it together. This is just great. Thanks man. I really appreciate you posting this small tidbit.

4. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

Love the pipe detailing on the pulse cannons.

5. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey thanks for the update. Stellar work as usual.

And just for the record, it's not the lack of new images/work that bugs me...it's random people bumping the thread to say "hey, you got any new pictures". I'm sure you (Vector) will post any images whenever they are ready.

6. USS Jack Riley

USS Jack Riley Captain Captain

Vektor - No apologies needed. We all know (or will know if still in school) that work comes first. Gotta pay those bills before play time begins!

Don't let the grousing of some of us (me included) pressure you into putting stuff up before you are ready. Definitely take it as a sign that everyone is enjoying your work, not bugging you everytime you log on to see updates (what you refer to as
    - which is what it is for me).

Looking forward to updates in the future. Get away from work every now and then to give this lady the attention she deserves. If you ever feel as though we are pressuring you to put stuff up (including me), tell us where to go and how to get there! :devil:

7. aridas sofia

aridas sofia Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll say it again -- you have a gift for aesthetics that allows you to create functional-looking, detailed designs that still retain the ungreebled, steamlined and smooth look that is essential to the original Trek design ethos. Light and yet bold. Sleek and yet strong. Judging by the penchant for Greene and Greene, Zen simplicity I saw in your beautiful home remodling renders, it makes sense -- you're just a gifted dude.

:thumbsup:

8. FrontLine

FrontLine Nekkid Hedonistic Ethical Slut Admiral

He is indeed, but speaking of the remodel? How did that go? Any updates?

9. Vektor

Believe it or not, the remodel is proceeding at about the same pace as the Grandeur. It's a very long and sordid tale, but suffice it to say that the place is still pretty much torn apart. I have done a bunch of additional 3D renderings, though; maybe I'll open up a thread for it again if Ptrope will indulge its non-Trek Artiness.

10. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Be our guest, Vektor! I know I'm always up for some good Arts & Crafts architecture - after all, I think it would look good in a starship interior! :D

11. Vektor

Got the bridge module about 90% done. Yes, the view from the lounge/briefing room at the back end of this baby ought to be REALLY spectacular, and yes, the windows were a pain in the ass to model.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And this is about a much of a pull-back as you're gonna get for a while.

[​IMG]

For those who are interested in such things, the entire bridge assembly weighs in around 6,500 triangles and the entire model is currently about 270,000 triangles. Still have a LOT of optimizing to do, though.

12. Professor Moriarty

I am amazed you got this level of detail and loveliness in 270K. :thumbsup:

13. candida

candida Fleet Captain

Wouldn't those windows cut into the roof - which are beautiful - mean the running light was constantly irritatingly bleeding into the briefing room ?

14. Vulcan

Vulcan Vice Admiral Admiral

Sweet work. You might want to change your copyright symbol + year down in the bottom-right corner to 2007 though. ;)

15. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

If that's a running light, keep in mind that in space, there's no atmosphere to refract or reflect the light back into those windows; if a direct line of sight can't be made between the light source and the window opening or frame, it shouldn't show up to the occupants.

And, hey, the windows may be polarized to block it, anyway ;).

16. Malleus

Malleus Admiral Admiral

^^^ What in blazes does Vektor mean by "triangles"? :confused:

17. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

^ A 3D mesh is composed of polygons, the simplest of which are triangles. So that means that Grandeur's mesh is composed of approx. 270,000 3-sided polygons :thumbsup:.

18. Professor Moriarty

Each one meticulously placed by hand. So stop asking Vektor for updates every six months... it takes time to assemble all those pointy little jigsaw puzzle pieces! :D

19. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Commander Red Shirt

No doubt! Do you plan to model it as well at some point?

20. the citizen

the citizen Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This is really shaping up, VEK!!