WATCHMEN - Movie Discussion and Grading (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Feb 28, 2009.

?

Grade the movie

1. A+

16.8%
  2. A

22.7%
  3. A-

18.9%
  4. B+

11.7%
  5. B

8.2%
  6. B-

5.5%
  7. C+

4.5%
  8. C

3.1%
  9. C-

1.7%
  10. D+

0.7%
  11. D

3.1%
  12. D-

1.7%
  13. F

1.4%
  1. TGTheodore

TGTheodore Writer Admiral

Are you including post-production costs in that?

--Ted

2. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

AN OPEN LETTER FROM A WATCHMEN SCREENWRITER

Full letter at:

http://www.hardcorenerdity.com/profiles/blog/show?id=2239098:BlogPost:40658

3. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sounds reasonable to me.

4. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Frankly, this isn't that bad of a film. I don't see a reason they shouldn't easily make up the production costs.

I'll probably end up seeing it with my other friend, and because the theaters cut the ticket price, I can't complain.

5. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I think that if Watchmen doesn't turn out to be a hit, it won't be because it's a poor film, but because it wasn't the sort of comic book movie the average audience might have been expecting.

6. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Watchmen is doing decent. It was never going to be a huge hit like Spider-Man because it's not the typical superhero movie. The best thing about the movie is that more people will be checking out the graphic novel because of it.

7. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd Vice Admiral

Well it doesn't help that it's an R rated superhero film that people thought they'd be able to bring their kids to just because it has superheroes. Even for an R rated film it's very violent and risque. That doesn't help either.

8. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Look, Watchman was a nearly three-hour long, R-rated movie based on a comic book little known to non-comic book fans. I think it did all right at the box office considering this and considering the reviews were mixed at best.

Studios shouldn't turn away from R-rated comic adaptations. Look at how well 300 did.

9. Harry Palmer

Harry Palmer Admiral Admiral

You forget those greasy 'Hippies' getting blown away by the MPs in the title sequence. At the time of the Comedian's actions the country appears to be in a state of martial law. So I think the use of lethal force was authorized.

On another note, Rorschach's Journal the ending of both the novel and film leave us with the impression that Veidt's scheme may be unraveled by it. In the book there's a police report which lists Rorschach's/Kovacs possessions at the time of his capture. Among them is a journal full of 'cramped illegible scrawl'.

10. USS Mariner

Doctors could still read it though. ;)

11. Harry Palmer

Harry Palmer Admiral Admiral

An inconsistency. :eek:

12. USS Mariner

If only Ozy had finished with that PhD...

13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

It was pretty funny, at the movie theater I went to posted all over the windows of the box office was a big disclaimer warning parents Watchmen isn't your usual comic book movie, it's rated R, it had graphic sex and violence!

14. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw it twice. So when my phone started vibrating I slipped out. As I was finishing my call an older man(60+) came out on his phone.

I can imagine the question, "What are you doing"
    The reply I heard, "I'm at this Watchmen movie"
    What I imagine, "Watchmen, what is that?"
    The reply I heard, "Its like a Batman film with 5 Batmen who are all really really pissed in a world where Nixon is still President".

I wanted to loiter just to hear his side of the conversation but returned to my seat.

15. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

It amazes me how stupid some parents are these days! You would think the huge R rating besides the title would be enough warning unless they have no clue what the rating means. :lol:

16. Gojirob

Gojirob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, c'mon! There wasn't that much exploded gore and viscera sticking to ceilings, male asses/member, and sociopathy presented in a sympathetic light. Which is to say, there was some... :D

17. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Plus whats the fun in going through life without a little emotional scaring.

18. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He makes it clear (at least in the novel) that his final journal is more legible than the notes the police read. Also, the guy at the paper actually reads the first few lines before tossing it into the bin (again, in the novel). So it is legible.

19. Tomato

Tomato Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Seriously how much dumber can you make the ratings. Does the word "Restricted" sound like a good thing??

In my theatre I saw a bunch of 8 year old kids with their parents.. **sigh**

20. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Could be our ratings. 12, 15 and 18, indicating the ages you're allowed to see the movie at.