NBA 2012-13 Discussion

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by SmoothieX, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Not really. Originally I thought the Spurs would win game 5. I only started to waiver a bit when I heard some of the Heat pre-game comments. They sounded like they were going to go for it rather than mail it in knowing they had gotten what they wanted and were headed back home. I wasn't sure of how the Spurs' younger guys would react if the Heat really aggressively defended. But they reacted well.

However, as I have written, I believe the Heat are going to win games 6 and 7, not that I'm rooting for them. I'll have something to celebrate whichever team wins.

2. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Game 7 will be interesting...

3. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Alas, no it won't. The post mortem, it would seem, was correct after all. I won't even let myself entertain the possibility now that the Spurs will take the title. Miami has all the momentum now. Supreme confidence that they can take the Spurs best shot and that the Spurs--when the championship is on the line--can't close the deal. Raucous home crowd. How could Miami lose?

I've been saying to my friends all day and yesterday that the Spurs need to finish it in game six. What was it? They were still up 5 with 28 seconds left? You do not let a team as supremely talented as Miami wriggle off the hook. You keep your foot on their throats and you make your free throws. :censored:

Jeez Louise. :scream: That sucked eggs.

4. Borgminister

Y'know, the Spurs have a bit of talent too, so I'd call it a tossup. With the edge going to the home team, but hardly a foregone conclusion.

It'll be a fight.

5. Dorian Thompson

Did you see Gioubli and Duncan after the game? They acted like it was over. Like they'd expended all their energy. They tossed around the word "devastated" and their body language didn't inspire. Sort of like an how am I going to get my old body out there and get 30 points again Thursday night? vibe. I didn't sense a raring to fight vibe. I sensed a Bill Buckner vibe.

I find the Heat nauseating, but I'm not going to get my hopes up. SA acted like they were done. The Heat have all the momentum now. The Heat have all the confidence now. A couple of missed free throws down the stretch and those two defensive rebounds SA couldn't get in the final minute are going to haunt them. I'd love it if SA won, but they're not going to win. :(

6. Borgminister

I know, it'll be the Heat in a cakewalk!

7. gblews

I think the Spurs actually have more good basketball players than the Heat, aside from the big 3. The Heat don't have anything to match what Gary Neal and Danny Green bring. If Ray Ray was a bit younger, maybe, but today, I don't think so.

But in the NBA Finals talent isn't the biggest factor. In fact, I've seen times when it wasn't a factor at all or so it seemed. The key is, which team "wants" it as opposed to which team has GOT to have it. In game 5, the Spurs saw it as an elimination game which they felt like they HAD to have. The Heat played on their heels because they only "wanted" the game.

Game 6 was a game the Heat felt like they HAD to have and that is how they played. SA wanted that game. The Heat HAD to have it.

Game 7 will be the same. Lose the NBA Finals on your home court AND you're the defending champs? That is a game the Heat feels like they MUST have. SA only wants it. SA faces no disgrace, no shame in losing. The Heat will be crucified if they lose.

I'm a bit sorry I'm going to be right about this series. A part of me was really looking forward to watching LaBron and his jockers try to tap dance around this one. Guess I'll have to be satisfied with needling SA fans because the Lakers will still have the most championships in the last 15 years.

8. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

I am really crying now. That broke my heart. :weep:

9. Dorian Thompson

And, at the end, SA just didn't have enough left in the tank. I can't say I'm surprised. They gave it away in game six and couldn't get it back. Miami rewarded again. Isn't it heartwarming?

:rolleyes:

10. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

Whoo-fucking-hoo. Oh merde. Good night folks. I'm out.

11. Dorian Thompson

But the big three and all those loyal fans who left early on Tuesday got rewarded. Doesn't that give you warm fuzzies and snuggles? Miami's just so humble and cuddly.

Think about it, though. How long can Wade's knees hold out? Not much longer. At least when my Thunder lost it was due to them not matching up well, and them not having a strong enough inside game and just generally not being as good as the Heat. Thunders wins one, Heat win four straight. That's the way it goes.

San Antonio had the fuckers from South Beach beat. They had the championship grazing their fingertips even though they were old, somewhat rickety and not as talented from top to bottom of the roster. They had it. The podium was on its way down the hall on to the court. The tape was there. All they needed was a made free throw and an offensive rebound at the other end of the floor.. They were up by 5 with 28 seconds to go to a championship. Miami wasn't going to come up with some miracle.

San Antonio, you gave it away. This I knew on Tuesday, ergo I'm merely disgusted tonight. Not devastated. It's going to be a looooooong off season for the Spurs.

12. Borgminister

4 out of 5 ain't bad. Duncan will be back for 1 or 2 more productive years. Lenard will be a beast. Pop will be coach.

I'm thinking Spurs-Bulls next year. :)

13. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

There is little doubt LeBron has shed the image of choker. He's not quite up to Jordan or Kobe levels yet, due to fewer championships and a lesser "killer" mentality like they had. BUT three straight finals and two straight titles, with sick averages for LeBron in the last two removes most of the legitimate reasons for the harangues.

San Antonio despite losing this one is still one of the elite franchises in NBA history. No doubt they are not happy with settling for placing second this year, but their place about the best of all time is secure.

I doubt I will ever be a real fan of the NBA, but this was a heckuva series, the kind a sports fan wants for a championship. Congrats to both teams!!!

14. gblews

Uh, no. The Spurs blew the series in game 4.That is when they ensured that in order to win the championship, they would need to win 2 games on the Heat's home floor. As I have written here before, when two teams are as evenly matched as these two were, don't expect either to lose two home games in the Finals.

You also seem to be laboring under the impression that the Heat are SO much more talented than the Spurs. This is a myth. Beyond LeBron, who do the Heat have to match Danny Green, Kawhi Leonard, and Gary Neal? Shane Battier? Duncan is still a better center than Bosh. Parker is a better point guard than Chalmers.

This reminds me of what the haters used to do when the Lakers won. "Of course they won, look at all their talent". But when hater fan's team beat the Lakers it was, "that's cause all they have are Shaq and Kobe".
    Wade needs to go the Germany and have the Orthokine treatments to his knees. Kobe had it done twice and last season he looked like he'd shed at least 5 years.
    SA didn't have squat "beat". They stopped playing with 28 seconds more regulation game time. In the pressure cooker, when you are playing on the road against the defending champs, you can't stop playing until the final whistle. Had the Spurs been at home, they'd be celebrating a championship right now. They can thank their game 4 performance for their predicament.
    Agree. If you are who you say you are, then this is what you do; silence the haters on the court. If you love basketball, you have to at least respct LeBron.

Congrats to the Heat and LeBron. They played like champions.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  15. Borgminister

Having reflected on the series and stopped cursing about the Spurs letting game 6 go, I have to marvel at Duncan's longevity and productivity all these years later.

I still don't think that window has closed completely for this dynastic Spurs team. A strong summer training camp for Kawhi, recuperation for the oldsters, perhaps a T-Mac resurgence, and a tweak here or there, and there might be a part II.

At least that's what I'd like to think... :)

16. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

I'd love to see McGrady play efectively again, but I don't think it's going to happen. He's already dropped hints he's done playing. It's a shame because he was every bit Kobe's equal when healthy and one of the top two or three players in the league.

--Sran

17. Ganja Tea

Ganja Tea Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Haha to all you Heat haters. 305 baby. Suck it.

18. Dorian Thompson

:wtf: When did I ever say the Heat only have anybody? I wasn't aware that saying the Heat were the more talented team was being delusional or laboring under impression of a myth. Battier, Allen, the big three....they are more talented than the Spurs. The Heat came up big with their backs against the wall. Came up in spectacular fashion. Yes, they're better. They're a great deal better. Not wilting under pressure is indicative of supreme talent and confidence.

I hate the Heat, but they are significantly better.

19. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

What does this even mean?

--Sran

20. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.