Season SIX OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Salinga, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Why not use the script?

2. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A script only provides the lines and brief descriptions to set the scene. The workprint provides them with the information to reconstruct the scenes with the same shots and timing at the director and editor originally intended.

That's not to say it couldn't be done without the workprint, it's just easier and more accurate to the "original vision" if they have one.

3. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Excellent! Though I did not have enough DS9 in my TNG trailer ;p

More DS9 was needed :)

Chain of Command trailer was even better! Tempted to watch it now but remembered that the next time I see that ep it must be in HD...

The dark gloomy torture set and Madred look great in HD so DS9 should look great also :)

4. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I've never understood the apparent love of "Frame of Mind." Stupid episode from beginning to end, written by someone trying to write about Jungian archetypes without actually knowing anything about Jungian archetypes, or, for that matter, anything about basic psychology.

In that case, I'm still confused by your earlier quote:
    Isn't that exactly what TOS remastered is?

That aside, I totally agree with you about TNG. The model shots are beautiful and hardly need replacing with cheap-ass video-game-looking CGI.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  5. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I wonder if we'll see any fan edits using the deleted scenes.

6. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

For me personally, it's just a great showcase for Jonathan Frakes, whose acting I adore. Plus, it got a wonderfully eerie atmosphere and Twilight Zone-y vibe going on. I guess I just don't care all that much about real world psychology.

7. Hober Mallow

The story goes absolutely nowhere. "Thank God it was all just a dream..." TZ is my favorite series of all time, and had this been an actual TZ episode, I think it would have been an average episode at best.

I do like Frakes, though, and I think he's generally under-appreciated. His character kind of got short-changed after BOBW.

8. Michael

I certainly see where you are coming from. I, too, love the original Twilight Zone. And although I was purely talking about the similar tone of the episode, there are actually some TZ episodes with plots very similar to "Frame of Mind". The classic "Shadow Play" (What is reality?, no-one believes the main protagonist) comes to mind. As do "Perchance to Dream" (psychology sessions, it's all just a dream), "A World of Difference" (What is reality?, no-one believes the main protagonist) and "The Midnight Sun" (it's all just a dream) – all of which are some of my favorite episodes.

I'm not saying "Frame of Mind" is as well-written as those, but it's certainly in the tradition of those classics. Plus, it's part of a character-driven, 90s sci-fi-adventure show, not an anthology. So it's bound to be different.

Riker is my favorite TNG character. There are times when they wrote him as a douche, but all in all he's the character I most like to watch. Plus, the episodes focussing on him tend to be my favorites.

9. Savage Dragon

Count me in among those who are big Riker fans. He had a lot of potential as a character. It's really too bad he wasn't developed more. I totally would have watched a "Captain Riker" show.

10. Hober Mallow

Speaking of Riker, the scene from that alien abduction episode in which he floats into a portal made me LOL back in the day and it still does in HD. :)

11. Michael

Cross-posting from the DS9 on Blu-ray thread: Here, I did one those screenshot comparison thingies. Look at all the glorious detail! :drool:

Something weird I noticed while doing this, though: (1.) I had to strech the original image quite a bit horizontally to make it fit the remastered one, (2.) they reversed the shot for the trailer and (3.) there's apparently an error, because in the original the nacelle cap on the right is behind the docking pylon. In the remastered shot it's placed in front of it! Or am I seeing it wrong?

12. Hober Mallow

I think the nacelle is in the foreground in both shots, it's just that the first shot is really blurry. IIRC, the docking pylon or airlock or whatever they call it connects to the side of the saucer, so it makes sense that the nacelle would be in the foreground.

13. Michael

Actually, no. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not connected to the saucer, but to the secondary hull. Like in this shot from "11001001". So actually, it would make more sense for the nacelle to be behind the pylon.

14. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

Yup, here's a much better angle to get the idea of where the Enterprise was docked.

[​IMG]

15. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Where did you get the SD image? It looks a bit worse than the DVD, almost like it came from YouTube. That could be why you had to distort it so much to line it up. It could either be NTSC or PAL originally as well which have different pixel aspect ratios (0.9 for NTSC and 1.09 for PAL). The new remaster should be considered geometrically correct, of course, since it is based off of a fresh scan of the original 35mm negatives and there's no telecine lens distortion anymore. :)

16. Hober Mallow

That image doesn't appear to match the other shot at all. In that one, the nacelle looks to be above the pylon. In fact, it doesn't look like the pylon could possibly extend all the way to either the secondary hull or the saucer.

I'm guessing we weren't supposed to scrutinize it this carefully.

17. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's odd, the frame is 1500x1065, which is 1.41:1. Much too wide.

18. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

For what it's worth, in the original shots from Emissary the port nacelle is in front of the pylon.

19. Joanna McCoy-Kirk

Joanna McCoy-Kirk Commodore Commodore

20. Savage Dragon

Pre-ordered both Season Six and Chain of Command!