Vanguard First Time Reading Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JRoss, Sep 26, 2012.

1. JRoss

JRoss Commodore Commodore

So I just read Harbinger. I'm planning to share my thoughts on the series in this thread.

First impression is that this book definitely owes a lot to NuBSG, even though the stationary setting will invariably liken DS9 comparisons. Harbinger is grittier than anything we've ever seen in TOS, and there is even a Boomer analog.

I like the humor, especially the bit with the poor Tellarite. I also liked the twist in the middle, definitely unexpected.

2. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hm, any reason you can't reuse the (fairly recent) review threads like this one? :)

3. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

My guess is that he didn't want to as this is a discussion board and there is actually nothing wrong with starting a new thread on a subject matter that has been discussed before.

And I get accused by some of mini-modding!

Anyway, JRoss, you're in for a really great treat with the Vanguard series!

4. Sho

^ I didn't mean to imply that there's anything wrong with it, although personally I indeed prefer communal review threads to The User XYZ Show (feels closer in spirit to a discussion board to me vs., say, a blog). I mostly figured he started a new thread on the assumption that any other thread on Harbinger would be really old and that "necroposting" would be anti-etiquette, but the last one is actually fairly recent (along with even newer threads for subsequent installments), so I just pointed that out.

5. Brefugee

Is your name green on here and I just can't see it?

6. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If the admins don't mind, no worries.

Looking forward to reading your thought. I love Vanguard, and just reading about this topic makes we want to pick up Harbinger again. :D:D

7. Sho

Is yours? You certainly seem to have fairly strong opinions on what users are allowed to do. I was just trying to be helpful. :shrug:

8. Brefugee

No mine isn't, nor would I want to be green. I certainly wouldn't say it's a strong opinion, just an opinion, nor was I telling anyone what to do, that was all you.

If your type of helpfulness is an attempt to stifle conversation and get everyone to post in pre-exsisting threads, then so be it.

Vanguard, what's the first book you've read or someother topic will be discussed from time to time and that's the nature of a discussion board.

9. Sho

^ Fair enough, I'll try to control my orderliness impulse a little better ;). That said though, I wasn't telling anyone what to do, thought I made that pretty clear.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  10. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

You have a fantastic read ahead of you. That series is the best in written Trek you can find.
    It's better than Enterprise and Voyager combined (and I actually find a lot to like in both these shows).

11. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

It also has great annotations.

12. Judith Sisko

Judith Sisko Commander Red Shirt

I envy you your first-time read. It's an awesome series and Harbinger probably is my favorite re-read. Please share your thoughts as you continue with the series. ::goes back to start reading it herself::

ETA: Sho, it's common in the tv series' threads to have one or more "first time watchers" threads. This seems to be of the same nature. It'll be fun to do the series as a whole.

13. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just realized... I've only read the last novel once. Should definatly re-read that one soon!