STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I want to see women on the screen yes, and I prefer to see more rather than less. I'd love to see a Trek movie where the women were dominant and there were only a couple men and we were all discussing whether there needed to be more strong males in the film.

2. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Polly Walker is AMAZING!

I'm surprised that people think Uhura eclipsed McCoy in the movie. I thought he had a greater screen presence than her. It seemed to me to be equivalent to the Kirk/Spock/McCoy/Rand dynamic from season one.

3. gornsky

gornsky Lieutenant Red Shirt

Pauln6 wrote:
    Sure, good point.

Action movies certainly do skew male. It's a shame that the excellent precedent set by Alien somehow didn't carry the momentum forward.

Action movies do seem to be getting more and more female characters, but they tend towards the gorgeous, buxom kick-butt Boris Vallejo variety of mens' fantasies. Not as much variation as you get with male heroes.

For all that I am happy with the male cast we already have, and I wasn't too fussed either way about Carol Marcus (would prefer her screen time going to Bones, Sulu or Chekov) I did think Alice Eve was an awesome chick, heaps of fun on the interview circuit and should make a fun addition to the cast (as long as it doesn't degenerate into both Kirk and Spock with girlfriend troubles :rolleyes:)

As someone said upthread, Admiral Marcus could easily have been a female character.

4. teacake

I love you.

5. teacake

He had greater screen presence, I agree. He just doesn't have greater lines. Most of it was crabbiness. Kind of a cardboard McCoy, not that he wasn't great. Sounded like McCoy, LOOKS like McCoy.. Saldana really is just meh to me, she's nice and all but "presence" is not a word I'd use to describe her. I did like her psyching herself up to talk to the Klingons though, that was well done.

6. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

What I like about the movie is that everyone gets a chance up front, in the spotlight. There are no minor players amongst the lead cast. Everyone gets a chance to shine.

7. gornsky

My impression is that the early white noise around this movie (not here, but all over the net) is a whole lot of fanboys with their knickers in a knot because it's not the same enough, and also, it's not different enough. Peoples' initial impressions -- be they shock or awe. Some egomaniacal creeps trying to SPOIL everyone and a lot of commentary about perceived plot holes.

Once the crazy peoples' attention span is exhausted, the die-hards will probably settle down to dissect the film with greater depth and intelligence. Fortunately, I think there are enough character notes to keep us going for... 4 years or so.

8. teacake

You mean like that time Chekov had a silent freakout during his one big shining moment?

9. Yorkshire Niner

Yorkshire Niner Captain Captain

I'd agree with that. Sulu was perhaps a little too comfortable in the chair though. ;)

10. teacake

This thread is full of depth and intelligence. And butt.

11. teacake

Sulu is a stand out surprise to me. EXCELLENT.

Hopefully next movie he puts in a call earthside to his grandpa, as played by George Takei.

12. gornsky

^^^ Exactly!

13. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Both the shock of wearing a red shirt, and the final battle Engineering scenes were hilarious. :lol:

Who knows? Maybe one day he'll have his own command. :D

14. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Question to any non-US members: when you saw the film, was the scene with the father waking up to his alarm the first scene, or was it Kirk and McCoy on Nibiru? I swear the Nibiru scene came first before the title card, and then the scene with the father waking up...but a friend of mine claims it was the opposite. I'm wondering if the scenes were for some reason reversed in other countries?

15. teacake

Pfft.. of course it was Nbiru. Your friend is remembering a trailer methinks. And I'm in Australia.

16. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He's from the UK, I wonder if it was specific to that country? He said the Enterprise's bridge...sound...sort of morphed into the alarm going off during the Paramount/Skydance/Bad Robot cards.

17. brian577

brian577 Captain Captain

Time to offer up my opinion. For the first 2/3rds of the movie I was having a great time, thought it was leagues better than 09. The opening scene with the volcano was exciting and Kirk violating the PD to save a species from extinction, classic Trek. I didn't even mind that the Khan was in the movie and figured at some point he would become an ally if not at the very least an anti-hero...then Scotty shoots him the back and he's evil again, so much for that and so much for new ideas.

Still I could let that slide, what I couldn't was the brazen way JJ turned the last 3rd of the movie into WOK 2.0. Lines, scenes all remade. Spock's KHAAAN just made the whole scene an even bigger mockery Every last bit of goodwill that had been built up for the last 2 hours was gone and I just wanted it to end.

Maybe I shouldn't be comparing ItD to the prime universe movies. They are separate entities after all. But I'm being forced to make this comparison because JJ and his crew chose to make this comparison. A movie should never make you recall a better film. Until that last half hour I was ready to call this a great film and consider it worthy of the Star Trek name now I can't do that because it only makes me think of WOK and how much better it is.

At this moment I can't really say how I would rate the movie other than it was a great movie brought down by a misguided homage (or ripoff) depending on your interpretation.

18. teacake

Someone will check in soon enough and tell you I'm sure :)

19. teacake

I was very very very upset initially about the Khaaaan scene and my word to describe my first viewing was "underwhelmed". Go a second time Chem, I am on my third viewing now and I have not only forgiven the bits that bothered me, I'm embracing them.

20. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

The nine-minute 3D trailer preceding "The Hobbit" was promoted as "the opening scenes of the movie" and began with London, followed by Nibiru.

:guffaw: We've converted another one, gornsky, or do you think maybe it was Mr Cumberbatch who did it?

Last edited: May 18, 2013