Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Cara007, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm so not sure it was mean-spirited (as in targeted solely at Spock). McCoy was an equal opportunity curmudgeon who would even lash out at Kirk once in a while. The thing is, Kirk would snap back and put McCoy in his place. More than anything else in life, I think McCoy would've relished getting Spock into a true back-and-forth shouting argument over something. He'd get more and more frustrated as Spock maintained his composure. For McCoy, that's just not human. And, he knows it's in Spock. It became a challenge. At least that's my interpretation.

2. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Tuvok's attitude toward Neelix isn't racist, it's "Oh, no... here comes that annoying twit again, he just won't leave me in peace!"

I don't recall Tuvok displaying the same attitude to the other Talaxians we saw on the show. One of the niches Neelix filled on Voyager was the "come on, logical Vulcan person, live a little, it's not the end of the world to show a little emotion, have some fun!" sort of thing McCoy did with Spock on occasion.

3. Wadjda

Wadjda Commander Red Shirt

It would be interesting if Klingons would allow other warlike species into their ranks as second class citizens or equals.

4. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

And it can just as easily happen to this one, too.

5. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not I ... can you imagine how the NuNeeling would come off as? And how soon it would become just as dated as the humour betwixt Dr. Bones McCoy and Spock TOS-style? No, best not start up any new controversy, or take any chances. Formula will do just fine for The Good Doctor and the ship's Resident Alien ... with the justification that it's "tradition."

6. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

I agree that Tuovk avoids Neelix because he's annoying as an individual, it's not racist.

7. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

You know why. Khan isn't affected by the changes in the timeline due to Nero's incursion because he predates them.

No.

8. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Watch the scene again. He looks positively pissed.

And no, I tease my friends but I don't insult them on purpose.

9. Belz...

Don't tell me what I know.

Say what you want, but the reboot certainly allows them to play around with characters.

Well, yeah, actually. Not a full reboot, but yeah. Nay-saying won't change the facts.

10. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't expect me to believe you don't know this. That wouldn't be remotely credible.

It's not a genuine reboot, so it doesn't ( aside from the butterfly effect, that is ).

I'd be interested to see where such is established as a "fact". For one thing, the actual humans involved in creating the product have said nothing of the sort. But you know better, right?

11. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

So what if he's positively pissed off? You've never been pissed off at a friend? I have, more than once. Said some "mean-spirited" things to them. Got some of that back at me. Doesn't happen a lot, but it happens. Most of the time, it's friendly ribbing (though to an outsider who lacks knowledge of context, what we say to each other might appear "out of bounds" in polite society--if so, too bad, so sad).

12. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Yes.

13. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

It probably *should* have been a reboot.

:whistle:

14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Even if it were, I promise the fanrage would have been identical. Just look at how fans reacted to Smallville deviating from the comic and movie Superman plotlines, despite them being explicitly separate.

15. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't agree that it's a reboot since, from Spock's point of view, played by Nimoy, time is still moving forward. I don't know of any reboots that continue with the same actor AND character where their history is 100% intact. Doesn't that pretty much say it's not a reboot?
    When Quinto asks Nimoy about Khan, it's because there's still a valid history there.
    Unless I'm missing the definition of reboot? And any movie with time travel is now a reboot? Star Trek: First Contact especially since they changed the timeline as shown in Enterprise?

16. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

NuTrek has benefited from a more assiduous and widespread attempt to suppress fanrage than virtually any incarnation of any franchise I've ever seen. Even the "backlash" against STID is astonishingly mild so far.

17. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes. Star Trek has won. All that's left is whimpering.

18. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

What do you mean?
    Are you saying there's been some conspiracy from TPTB to suppress the rage?
    I'm interested in this. Can you tell us more?

19. Belz...

What you find credible has no bearing on reality. You still haven't told me why you think this Khan should ressemble the other Khan in any way. I suspect you can't because you painted yourself in a corner, and are now trying to avoid the issue by addressing me instead of it.

Your opinion doesn't change reality. The fact that it splinters from the previous timeline doesn't make it not a reboot.

I'm glad to see you actually agree with me. The point was it wasn't playful bantering like he did on the series.

20. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Haha ... This supposed concern over Fan Rage is quite amusing. Angry Nerds have Paramount by its proverbial balls, do they?

:lol: :p :) :rofl:

I suppose this supression is in the form of what, in the movie, still seems very familiar to a traditional STAR TREK audience. I put it to you that J.J. Abrams, et al, were not given the assignment to reinvent the wheel. Simply to make the movies profitable. What's more, when you're given almost a quarter of a billion dollars to make a movie, by a studio, there is a lot of Green Lighting that has to go on. And I can only imagine the Studio wanted TOS to be very much a part of its merchandise campaign, when all of that product was out there, already.