STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

2. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

13 from 14 isn't too bad. Today is the test though, aye.

3. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

From Box Office Guru on Twitter:

4. Xaios

Xaios Commander Red Shirt

Indeed, the date change was pretty poorly advertised. My theater, like many of yours I assume, plays little trivia snippets that relate to current and coming attractions before the movie starts. The blurb in the trivia snippet for STID that I saw before the movie still said "Star Trek Into Darkness, opening May 17th." RIGHT BEFORE THE MOVIE. :lol:

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

No. :rolleyes::guffaw:

6. Vyse

Vyse Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Keep in mind the big test is how this will do internationally. Those were the numbers that were disappointing from the 2009 film. Still, I think a large gap (relatively by modern standards) between the two films didn't help.

7. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Drama queen alert

8. Flake

Well I will think positive instead for a moment. I will allow myself that luxury for once ;)

Overseas numbers are exceptionally good compared to Star Trek (2009) and the Russia opening day number was apparently 400% higher than ST09. This is awesome news because Russia is a big emerging market and this bodes well for China/Brazil/Korea/Japan. On the subject of South Asia I believe Star Trek Into Darkness is also doing very well in Hong Kong. This is also great news.

In the United Kingdom, the market most saturated by nuTrek outside of the USA, the opening weekend was the equivalent of Star Trek Into Darkness earning $108m over the same 4-day period. Hopefully this will happen though I believe a 30+m Friday and similar Saturday will be required.

The A cinemascore is an excellent indication of positive word of mouth and will hopefully translate into good 'legs' for Star Trek over the next several weeks so that even if the opening is lower than expected, in the end the box office will still be high.

:bolian: :techman:

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

They should've just left the release date alone.

10. Chrono85

Chrono85 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

No,the day earlier release date is a good idea, because it gives Trek more time before the new Fast and Furious movie rolls out. I'm no expert on analyzing market or box office trends, but I think that the real test will be today's showing and not Thursdays, because the movie has been advertised for the May 17th release date for ages, and the date change was sudden and last minute. Most of the news I am seeing, are still saying that the movie has a good chance at reaching $100m by the end of Sunday. Also, aside form the sudden date change, Thursday is not a typical movie day for most people.

11. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

It comes as little suprise that Star Trek: Into Darkness beamed into number 1 at the UK Box Office.

12. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

I don't want to be overly pessimistic, but I do believe Fast 6 could potentially whack the Enterprise out of warp speed next week. It's already opened here in the UK, so it'll be fascinating to see how it impacts on STID over this weekend.

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Someone should do some CGI of a Ford Mustang running the Enterprise down and knocking it out of warp. :lol:

14. Joby

Joby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening

Fast and Furious is a franchise that has been around for years, and Hangover for about 4 years, so there will be plenty of people over 30 or 35 watching those movies too. I doubt most teenagers even remember when the first F&F movie came out. The people that were 18 or 19 when the first came out are like 30 today anyways. Teenagers today care about Twilight, Beiber and saving the Boston Bomber b/c he's cute.

And to another poster above, what kind of weirdo 25 year old adult listens to One Direction anyways? That seems like 14 year old kids stuff.

15. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

LOL, now that's a movie I'd pay good money to see!!!

16. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Just saw the numbers on Mojo, $11.5 million is soft! Maybe the date changes were poorly advertised.

I must say my social media is buzzing, good word of mouth is going to give it legs most likely.

RAMA

17. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

From The Hollywood Reporter:

18. Flake

It was a really late change and I hear many adverts still say 17th so we can all hope that the majority of the masses go today, tomorrow and Sunday like normal and that the Thursday number is an anomaly resulting from the late change.

19. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Maybe but The Fast and Furious (2009) only took US$20.5m at the UK box office, compared to Star Trek's (2009) US$35.4 at the UK Box Office.

A bit more detail on those UK figures

Star Trek (2009)

Opening Weekend US$9.1m
    1st full Week US$5.3m

Fast and Furious (2009)

Opening Weekend US$7.2m
    1st full Week US$2.9m

And for Star Trek: Into Darkness

Opening weekend US$12.9m

Only time will tell, though of course what might make F&F6 more marketable in the UK is that is it's partly set in the UK

20. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

That and frankly, who likes to go to a movie then have to get up and go to work or school the next day? I don't think the early openings are anything more than attempts to get buzz out there before the real weekend opening.

It's also probably a winner for the cineplex, because STID is going to do better on a Thursday than something in the same theater that's in its fifth or sixth week. So, even if the take is "soft" it's better than otherwise.