Zack Snyder will direct SUPERMAN

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Oct 4, 2010.

1. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Brandon Routh as Lara! ;)

2. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Eradicator can't just be a normal-looking guy who can be defeated by one punch? :p

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I hope Brian and Kelly didn't read that.

4. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

:lol:

That is all I got.

:lol:

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Routh was fine in SR and he could easily do whatever Snyder's looking for - no version of Superman is ever going to be Hamlet, sorry (and, BTW, no version of Batman ever has been, either :lol:). The reason for not using him would simply be that Snyder has no reason to connect this film with the previous one, and that said there must be dozens of actors who can do the part.

6. Admiral_Young

^ Well said Dennis.

7. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I think Routh was ok...but he needed a better Lois Lane...like switch Kate B with Parker P and there is your movie...Parker Posey would have been a great Lois...Kate seem to be a little girl trying to fill mommy's shoes...she just doesn't work...she would have beed great as a Lex fem lackey but Parker is awesome and was waisted in a minor role. IMHO.

8. Admiral_Young

I think Parker read for Lois if I'm not mistaken. Kate was okay but I just didn't buy her as the Margot version of Lois which she was meant to be, she was too young for the part basically and it shows in her performance. She had some nice moments with both Richard, Jason, and Superman but she was too tentative and not representative of the feisty Lois most people are familiar with.

9. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I dunno...I have a different take on Lois-Clark & Superman and it won't be popular with people because it makes Clark a "Straight man" & Superman more fun & light and flamboyant...and Lois is more interested in Clark because he is so cold and focused and odd man out. Where Superman is so beloved by people it makes Lois sick. :lol: Forget I said anything. ;)

I mean she is interested in Supes at first but kind of gets bored with all the hype and see's Clark's cynical view on the hero even though he is covering himself.

10. Admiral_Young

I'm tired of the Lois is in love with Superman first but learns to love Clark also. This is one of the aspects of the Donner Verse movies that bugged me the most!! I have had this conversation with JacksonArcher on a number of occasions how I think Superman is actually three different people. I believe wholeheartedly that Lois should be in love with Clark but her attraction stems from being attracted to Superman. I think "Lois and Clark" handled this particularly well as did the comics.

11. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Superman can be annoying in a cynical age and that is where we have been since the 60's...this makes Clark more appealing to a woman like Lois as long as he isn't a jackass.

12. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Emma Thomas's remarks here sum up why I'm worried about this Snyder-helmed Superman:
    (Emphasis in original).

Snyder with free reign kills any interest I may have harbored for this project.

13. Admiral_Young

I don't think Nolan would have hired a director just to shoe horn and control him. That doesn't seem like Chris's style. I think people should wait until we see an actual trailer before freaking out or not.

14. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I dunno. If finding a decent Superman were that easy, I think we would have had a bunch more Superman movies by now. But then, I feel the same way about Superman Returns and the rush to reboot it. The 19 year gap between Superman IV & Superman Returns and the MANY failed attempts in the interim demonstrates that making a Superman movie is HARD! Putting together any Superman movie is practically a miracle and I think that Warner Bros. should have recognized that by allowing Routh & Singer more time to grow into the franchise.

Really? I hadn't heard that. In fact, I got the impression from the bonus features on the DVD that Singer hadn't even met Posey until the first day of shooting.

One other actress I did hear they auditioned for Lois Lane was Keri Russell. I think she would have been brilliant! But then, I've had a huge crush on her ever since Felicity, a crush that has been recently rekindled by Running Wilde & Mission Impossible III.

15. PsychoPere

I don't believe that my reaction could be classified as "freaking out." I've seen three of Snyder's five films to date, and I didn't like a single one of them. Dawn of the Dead bored me; I literally fell asleep watching 300 and couldn't stand its stylization; and I felt his adaptation of Watchmen was lacking in soul. As for Legends of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole and Sucker Punch, I can't say that what I've seen of either one interests me in the least bit at all. With Snyder batting zero for five in my opinion, I am naturally rapidly losing interest in this Superman film, a fact that I find to be very disappointing considering the initial hope garnered by Nolan and Goyer's involvement.

I find it amusing, in fact, that I initially had no interest in either X-Men: First Class or Wolverine, yet 20th Century Fox bringing Matthew Vaughn and Darren Aronofsky, respectively, onboard for those two films has resulted in me doing a 180 on both, all while Warner Bros. killed my interest in a film I did originally want to see.

16. Admiral_Young

^I'm not talking about you specifically Pyscho Pere...I'm talking about fans in general including myself. I've read what people have had to say about Synder's films and I tend to agree with the criticism given him for the most part. I think "300" is highly overrated myself , enjoyed "Watchmen", didn't care for the owl movie, and haven't seen the "Dawn of the Dead" remake despite reading and being told that it's his best movie. I'm really looking forward to "Sucker Punch". I get people hesitations over his style, it's not for everyone. I just think though without really knowing the actual plot (aside from rumors and reports from unknown sources online) or really anything else it's kind of difficult to comment on this project. As a Superman fan I'm excited that this is finally rolling. As to the plot and other things I've mentioned I'm gonna wait until casting starts happening and we see footage before really praising and or criticizing. Again I wasn't meaning to pick on you specifically Pyscho Pere.

17. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Casting will be the next thing people will get all crazy about until there are images of stuff & a trailer. :lol:

18. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lord knows we already were before all this even came about, haha.

19. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

It will get worse when the official cast announcement happens...people will really freak out then. :lol:

20. PsychoPere

Oh, no worries. I felt like expanding on my dislike of Snyder a bit, anyways, and responding to your post did present an opportunity to do so.

Although Snyder faces a situation with me that may well be impossible to surmount, I would prefer to be wrong about my concerns. As you say, we won't be able to judge anything concrete until we have casting information, trailers, and so on. I just tend to be very skeptical since news went from an amazingly promising short list of directors to the final choice of Snyder.