STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

^Your comment made Mirror Kirk, Evil Transporter Duplicate Kirk and Janice Lester Kirk cry.

2. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

From ERC on Twitter:

3. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

STID Brazil, $3.1m vs $0.7m ST09 (Opening weekend)
    STID France, $3.5m vs $3.1m ST09
    STID Italy, $1.5m vs $1.1m ST09

France and Italy disappointing (for me) but Brazil excellent because ST09 made $1.9m in total there.

4. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Weekend estimate: $5.66 million for $210.491 million so far. Star Trek made $8.3 million on its fifth weekend.

5. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    I'll take as many Kirks as they throw at me.

There's been tons of reboots of all sorts throughout history. This one is no different to me. In fact, it may be better than most.

6. The Transformed Man

The Transformed Man Commander Red Shirt

Solid numbers for STID given the competition. I think a $230-235 finish is in the cards now... plus another $40 million plus or so overseas and SITD should finish in the neighborhood of $475-490 million worldwide.

I'm actually surprised with MOS' numbers... as they kept getting revised downward all weekend. Given the sheer volume of advertising Warners pumped into this thing I doubt they were expecting a $113 million 3-day weekend, probably more like the $132-135 million 3-day ($146 million including Sunday) they were originally estimating. Also given how Friday-Sunday tracked it looks a little frontloaded.

It will be interesting to see how WOM effects this film as it's doing poorly among the 30+ crowd and great among the 18-24 set. There will be some delicious irony if MOS barely manages to rake in more than Superman Returns adjusted for inflation. Overseas box office is really going to be the key for this movie.

Great article here:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...fice-man-of-steel-soars-to-125-million-debut/

Yancy

7. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

I think Man of Steel will make $330-350 million domestic. Worldwide is more of a wildcard, but given the numbers so far I'd say it'll make $750-800 million worldwide.

8. The Transformed Man

I'm thinking more like $285-290 especially after this 3-day. $112 is okay, but given where other tentpole superhero franchises are it's nothing spectacular. You have two big films opening next week in Monsters University (which cuts into the younger demographic), and World War Z (which cuts into that 18-24 crowd). Next weekend will be pretty brutal.

Yancy

9. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it sometimes seems like almost every commercial is one of those "can't decide whether it wants to be an ad for a car or a movie"-style MOS tie-ins...

10. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Most of the huge openings are sequels. $113 million for the 3-day opening is excellent for a non-sequel/reboot. I think its legs will be fine.

11. The Transformed Man

But the reality is whether this is a reboot or not, it's another Superman movie, so it more or less is a sequel, and based on the 3-day and the appearance that it is frontloaded, that's not a terribly comforting sign.

Hell, there were box office experts who "predicted" early that MOS might have the biggest opening of all time, and there were other "experts" who predicted MOS would easily be the biggest movie of the summer... that's clearly not the case.

Yancy

12. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Reboots swim against stronger currents, even when it's a very well known character. And the opening weekend isn't particularly frontloaded by the standards of the superhero genre.

Which experts are you referring to? Most of the big prediction sites had predictions ranging from $84 million on the low side to $139 million on the high side. BoxOffice.com predicted $115 million and were pretty much on the money, excluding the Thursday night 7.00pm numbers.

13. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well if you are going by the double production figure STID is said to have cost US$190m so double would be US$380m.

ST(2009) was reported to cost approx US$150m so that would be US$300m. Final return for ST (2009) was US$385m. So around an US$85m profit. So STID it might return a smaller profit, but it should still return a profit from box office alone.

14. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Its looking like STID will be at least $410 million after the official word on Monday.

15. Vyse

Vyse Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Awesome!

16. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

From The Hollywood Reporter:

17. Trajet

Trajet Commander Red Shirt

A worldwide box office figure of around $450m looks set to be fairly achievable now.

18. JamesRye

JamesRye Captain Captain

Are there any other big foreign markets that Star Trek has not opened in yet?

I think the box office should end up between $450 and $500 million. Having seen Man of Steel the other night, I'm so glad that JJ Abrams is in charge of Star Trek.

I thought that man of steel was really badly directed and written - the shaky cam was jarring and the musical score was terrible. I think that the box office that MOS is getting is purely down to an expensive advertising campaign and the fact that it's Superman.

I've written a review here:
    http://ryesofthegeek.wordpress.com/

Trek looks to be a solid and reliable performer for Paramount. I am pleased that ST:ID will be the most successful Trek film of all time. Does anyone know how many movies the cast are locked in for?

19. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

It'll be released in Japan in August. That's the only big market where it hasn't opened yet.

Three I believe.

20. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator