Power Rangers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by SG-17, Aug 7, 2010.

1. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I like them. They look like something alien that attaches itself to the wearer. They're kinda sexy too...

2. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

They're decent suits, and like others have said they're about what I expected. The boob sockets look lame, but besides that they're ok.

3. C.E. Evans

Boobs are scary...
    :rommie:

4. kirk55555

Boob sockets are stupid and impractical. As a fantasy/RPG fan, I've seen armor with boob sockets being made fun of for years (even though they are still a thing in a lot of games/movies/books, obviously), and they are basically a bad idea anyway

http://www.tor.com/2013/05/06/boob-plate-armor-would-kill-you/

I know that is about a different type of armor then the PR suits, but it still applies. It looks stupid, and its impractical. To use a recent example, what if Star Wars Episode VII had given Captain Phasma's armor boob sockets? It would have been the stupidest armor in the SW universe. The same kind of thing applies here, at least to me.

5. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

The reason the female suits have "molded breast-plates" is because Trini and Kimberly are teenage girls who have breasts.

The suits literally "morph" and "mold" themselves around the characters' bodies.

C.E. Evans likes this.
  6. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Doesn't explain the wedge heels though. I'm torn, I get the arguments but it gets tiresome being the first things discussed in every single discussion.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Dude... Breasts are compressible. They aren't carved from marble. They're basically sacks of water. Put pressure on them, as, say, by a futuristic living armor molding itself around the body, and they will flatten out rather than holding their shape.

Heck, you can see that in the real Power Rangers. Look at Shelby in Dino Charge. In civvies, she's a rather curvaceous young lady. But in her morphing sequence, in the all-white coverall she wears during part of the transformation, her chest looks a lot flatter.

Also, molded "boob plate" designs are terrible for armor from a functional standpoint, because they could actually kill the wearer.

Kelthaz and kirk55555 like this.
  8. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

The new movie's suits are essentially a "second skin", albeit one that slightly exaggerates the physicality of the characters' actual bodies.

9. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I don't think we'll even have morphers. It will just be the Power coin going all "Extremis" on the ranger's bodies

[​IMG]

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The boob armor is absolutely ridiculous, I agree, but these kinds of things are so stylized that I'm not to bothered by it. Power Rangers is the last place I would go if I was looking for realistic armor designs.

11. C.E. Evans

So are the Power Rangers, but people enjoy them anyway because it's fantasy, not the real world.

12. kirk55555

I enjoy Power rangers a lot, and not because I think they're stupid. regardless, none of that means boob sockets aren't stupid and just a lame design.

13. C.E. Evans

Some would say that about every aspect of the Power Rangers.

14. Christopher

That's another totally ridiculous excuse. They don't look anything like a "second skin" -- they're way too big, rigid, and molded for that. I mean, heck, look at the Yellow Ranger's boob plate -- there's quite clearly a gap between it and the layer beneath, and you can tell that's true of the other chestplates as well. That's the exact opposite of a "second skin" hugging the surface of the body. The original Ranger costumes made of Spandex are much more plausible as "second skin" armor, because they actually are figure-hugging in a way these bulging armor suits are not.

You know as well as the rest of us that the real reason for it is sex appeal and catering to male gaze. There's no point trying to pretend it actually makes functional sense, certainly not with excuses that show a fundamental lack of understanding of how human anatomy actually works.

Kelthaz likes this.
  15. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's a big difference between cheese and gratuitous sexual objectification of the main female characters to appeal to horny teenage boys. Oh, and it's not just boob armour. The female rangers also seem to be wearing high heels (!?).

I'm not saying I'm going to boycott the film over the boob armour, but it is stupid and sexist. It also makes me worry that this film is going the Michael Bay TMNT or Transformers route. I want Power Rangers to be a family-friendly film like most Marvel films and not something designed primarily for teenage boys.

16. C.E. Evans

Not everyone agrees with that.

17. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Holy cow, do those outfits look horrible. Granted, I tend to assume a Power Rangers movie will be among its year's worst by default, Alvin and the Chipmunks-style, but even I think the "classic" outfits (by which I mean the ones most Americans remember, not asking for a history lesson) have a certain charm to them. So, to make leather versions that retain the colors and design, and build in a bit of bosom but not to a ludicrous degree - how hard is that?!

18. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Brienne of Tarth don't need no boob armor, and she's in a world that's every bit as fantastic and fictional as Power Rangers.

19. Christopher

I dunno... At least one draft of the script was by Zack Stentz and Ashley Miller, the former Andromeda/Sarah Connor Chronicles staffers who are now known for writing Thor and X-Men First Class. So depending on how much of their script gets used, it could potentially be good. On the other hand, a couple of the other writers are known for Dracula Untold, The Last Witch Hunter, and Gods of Egypt, which is less encouraging.

20. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

The suits look like what you would get if you took Iron Man armors and Rings from the Emotional Spectrum and put them together. Now all we're missing is Green.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]