(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Iasius

Iasius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

U21 EC:

Spain was a bit better in the first half, but Germany really had the only chances in the second half.

A 1:0 for Germany might've been deserved overall, but then you have to convert your chances into goals (football is full of platitudes, isn't it?).

On the German side, I really liked Özil and Boateng.

It was certainly a much more enjoyable game to watch (for me) than see Germany dominated by Spain in the EC08 finale.

I didn't watch the England - Finland game, but a Finn told me that compared to both Spain and Germany both teams didn't look that good.

Anyone else watching this?

2. Daedalus12

Daedalus12 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I caught a little bit of the US and Italy game. All I have to say is Giuseppe Rossi is the biggest twat in the world and a thankless traitor. Honestly I hope the next time he plays against US Bocanegra should put in a hard tackle to shatter the little twat's knee so he can't play high-level football ever again. I am not even fucking kidding.

Or our immigration office should just revoke his US citizenship and ban the motherfucker from ever entering the country.

3. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

I've missed all of this so far - thought the U21s were next week, and the Confederations Cup doesn't sound too brilliant.

What's Rossi done?

4. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

He's the son of italian immigrants in the US and has the audacity to play for the italian national team instead of the US. :rolleyes:
    [something that happens all the time in Europe with immigrants from countries like ex-Yugoslvia, Turkey, Poland, etc...]

5. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Apart from yesterday's Brazil vs Egypt 4-3 thriller which was only settled by an extremely controversial penalty. Kaka's opening goal was a cracker (flicked it over two defenders to leave himself one on one with the goalie) and Mohammed Zidan's equaliser was a very well taken header from a perfect cross.

Who gave that penalty ? Why, our very own Howard Webb. It looked like he didn't spot the handball and gave a corner instead only to receive advice from the fourth official who had seen it on a monitor. That would be, if it's true, a breach of the rules. An official has to see the offence, he can't use a video replay.

6. Daedalus12

Fuck you and your rolling eyes man. The kid was born and raised in New Jersey. Do you how many sons of Italian immigrants there are here? I am only 2 generations removed from Milanese immigrants. His parents might've been Italian immigrants but he certainly isn't. Just becuse this happens regularly in Europe doesn't mean I have to like it. I don't like everything I see in Europe. For me it's simple you are either proud to represent the US or get the fuck out of this country. The fact that both Cameronesi and Rossi are playing for Italy is a big fat joke.

7. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Be careful there, man.

8. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

I don't have a problem with you being pissed at the guy, I just don't get why you're that angry. There are really countless similar examples.

And you also have to consider that playing for a national team is not just a priviledge for a football player, it's also a tremendous career opportunity. If a player has the choice between the US and Italian national team, his decision could be just based on money, thinking that he has a better chance to present himself to bigger clubs with a strong team like Italy than a mediocre team like the USA (that also usually plays several flight hours away).

9. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

There's also the issue of which country takes and interest in you first. If Italy actually made the effort before the US did that could also influence his opinion.

And it's not like the situation doesn't apply in reverse, Benny Feilhaber who was at Derby is a US international but he was born in Brazil. And lord knows how many Irish/Welsh/Scottish internationals are only playing due to a great grandmother from that country :lol:

10. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

If you play for your parents country or the one you were born in then am fine with that, what pisses me off is the cluster fuck that is living in a country for 5 years makes you eligable to play for that country...

DECO :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Far as I see it if you didn't grow up in that country as a child or were born there moving there as an adult and playing fro that country is fucking disgraceful especially when FIFA bang on about domestic players in domestic leagues...total IRONY there FIFA

11. Daedalus12

I am that angry because the kid probably spent more times in England than Italy (He went to Parma at age of 13 and was bought by Man. United at the age of 16). He never gave the US team a chance. It's not like we didn't try to get him as Starkers has suggested below. There was also his exuberant celebrations last night. Podolski and Klose have always refrained from celebrating when they score against Poland which just further shows how big of a twat that Rossi is.

As for his decision being based on money well like I said he can be an Italian as long as he turns over his American passport. Rossi is lucky that American sports media for the most part don't give a shit about soccer.

12. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

If Rossi is the best Italy can throw at the world then I wouldn't be worried come the 2010 WC. Speaking on similar matters, FABIO better not dare give Almunia the chance of a call up to ENGLAND when he gets his national passport next year...If you think Lampard & Cashley got booed badly then imagine what would happen to a Spanish keeper in the English team.

13. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I imagine he would get booed until the first penalty save at which point the fans would probably love him!

Daedalus, I wasn't reying to imply that the US hadn'ty tried to get Rossi, just offering the suggestion that maybe the Italians pursued him more vigerously, I have no evidence to back this up!

14. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Hes gone to Italy most likely because there a better national team who have more chance of winning something worthwhile...This is how football players think these days.

15. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Though as an Arsenal fan obviously I'm biased towards supporting Moony but I don't think he should play for England.

What the threat that he might do should do, however, is light a fire under England's young goalkeepers. Joe Hart and Ben Foster are the long term future of English goalkeeping, IMHO.

I can understand Rossi wanting to play for the world champions when asked but it works both ways. We had Frederic Kanouté suddenly decide he's from Mali when France didn't come knocking on the door.

16. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

You make it sound like high treason. If Americans don't give a shit about football, can you blame him for wanting to play for a nation that might appreciate him?

There's no rule against dual citizenship as far as I know. I happen to have two passports myself, and never find myself conflicted between the UK and Austrialia.

If Almunia (for example) takes British citizenship, he's entitled to play for his new country. What's wrong with that?

17. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Typical - a major refereeing controversy at an international tournament, and the culprit is an English referee. Deja vu. I'm gutted I missed it now, but I can't be expected to think 'potential 4-3' here with a Brazil v Egypt match now can I...

The second best team in Scotland have officially appointed the manager of the 20th worst manager in the English leagues. Will Mowbray get time? Or indeed a credible transfer budget? I don't see his tenure ending well.

Happily though Martinez has indeed gone to Wigan and left Swansea to go backwards. It'll be wonderful to actually beat them next season now their manager is gone and a few of their best players will soon be gone too. The prospect is making me forgot about Preston and Wednesday already.

18. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

The same thing happened with Hargraeves and Canada, but I don't blame him and certainly am not bitter about it - Canada has a weak soccer program and England's is simply much better. If the USA's national team was better then I'm sure he would have played for them, but the fact of the matter is that while it may do ok against minnows in CONCACAF, the USA just isn't competitive on the world stage. Sure they can pull the odd positive result but a World Cup is nowhere near them. I say good for Rossi going to where he has a better chance of winning.

19. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

England would be absolutely screwed if they made that backup goalie their starter. The guy can't even win anything on a team that's supposed to be known for their goal scoring. :lol:

20. the 4th hanson bro

the 4th hanson bro No one can resist my Schweddy Balls Admiral

I understand football inflames the passions of its fans, but take it down a notch. This doesn't contribute to the discussion.