has the breen never been assimilated

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Mr Pointy Ears, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

Over the course of number of years,the borg assimilated many species from the alpha quadrant like klingons,romulans and even the ferengi,but what about the breen,surley the borg would have come across some of their ships and assimilated them?.

2. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

Given that the breen require the cold, and it's very warm on a Borg ship, I doubt it.

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Canonically speaking no. But off the record, sure why the hell not?

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sure, why not?

5. ngc7293

ngc7293 Commander Red Shirt

A federation ship can be set for different temperatures, so why not a borg ship. Also The Borg may have suits that change the environment for the being in it. It's easier to see humanoid borg that all look alike so you get that zombie feel.

6. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not to mention that we've seen unprotected Borg drones operating in the vacuum of space. I don't think temperature (or other environmental conditions) matter much to drones.

7. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Given the fact that they're in suits all the time, not to mention the novel revelations, I think the answer is - how would we know?

8. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

No, it might not have been visually apparent, but they were in some fashion "protected."

:)

9. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

I would surmise that they might have been protected by energy shields their bodies armors are able to produce.

But on another note, the writers often forgot about the abilities of personal shields.
    Drones can become invulnerable to directed energy weapons but can be beaten down by mele attakcs?
    Lol...
    I'm sorry, but for the technologically superior Federation, and especially the Borg, hand to hand attacks should be useless when dealing with personal shields.
    The Feds were stated on-screen to have them.
    Worf even made a crude one years before FC which was only limited by the comm-badge's power cell and was able to repel bullets... I would imagine that a personal power cell pack/belt would likely allow the shield to be far more effective.
    We've just never seen them on a mass scale because for the most part: the writers didn't want to make things too 'easy'.
    there are ways to make a story interesting even with highly advanced tech in play.

10. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

In every Superman movie, got to figure a way to take Big Blue down a notch first.

If things are "too easy" in the future, it kind of screws up the story, especially with a action/adventure story like Star Trek. You can't have the computers, sensors, replicators, transporters be too capable.

:)

11. Saspearia

Saspearia Lieutenant Red Shirt

Didn't Weyoun once say that they're planet was a normal class M temperature? And that their refridgeration suits were a complete mystery? Maybe theyre too bonkers to be in the collective? They are quite discriminatory, I don't think they accept any old race.

12. The Wormhole

Maybe Weyoun visited during the summer, one of the hated seasons on the Breen homeworld whent they have to bundle up in those suits. But once winter hits, the Breen go around in shorts and t-shirts.

No, I don't care that it doesn't make sense.

13. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

He did.

The recent novel Typhon Pact: Zero Sum Game by David Mack finally revealed why no one has ever seen a Breen, and what all the contradictory information about the Breen consists of:

The Breen are not a species; they are, rather, a union of multiple species, united to form the Breen Confederacy. They are governed by a head of government called the Domo and a legislature called the Confederation Congress. They wear the masks everywhere they go, in or outside of Breen territory, because the Confederacy is obsessed with maintaining complete "equality" between its constituent races; no one but your closest friends and family are ever supposed to see your true face.

14. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I tried to bring that up subtly earlier, but I think it must have gotten lost in the shuffle.

15. The_Baron

The_Baron Captain Captain

I imagine the Borg having a pretty strict dress-code. No big helmets allowed. And who knows what the breen look like underneath.

But then, theres equally no reason to believe that they HAVE been assimilated either, we've seen no evidence that the Borg are interested in any other Alpha Quadrant races than those of the Federation, and to a lesser extent the Romulans. We only know of a handful of incursions in the Alpha Quadrant, have they even had the opportunity to 'pimp my breen'?

16. Deks

Perhaps they did when the cube was on it's heading towards Earth in BoBw or later on in FC.

Perhaps the cube encountered other races separately.
    We've only seen the attack on SF ships and an attempt to assimilate Earth though... not what was happening way before that.

17. The Wormhole

We know the Borg have assimilated Cardassians, Bajorans, Ferengi, and Klingons. They've definately taken an interest in the Alpha Quadrant.

18. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

Do all boorg have the same strenghth?

Does the assimilate guys/gals muscle structure matter?

19. Deks

Not necessarily.
    The drones physiology would be enhanced via the nanoprobes, but I would surmise that there are limits to how far that goes.
    I think it varies from species to species.
    7 of 9 was stated to have an enhanced physiology due to Borg tech.
    She might be even stronger than an average non-assimilated Vulcan for example (who are naturally 3x stronger than Humans), but a post-assimilated Vulcan with same amount of Borg tech in their body would likely be again 3x stronger than 7.
    There's a chance this might level off, but my guess is that it's slim to none... then again, there are some major changes happening in the body with assimilation (including genetics -wise), so it's possible the variation in changes levels off ... depending on the 'gene potential'.