(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Probably. Wonder if this time you'll get the 'iconic' manager you were promised last time?

Roy Keane? ;)

2. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

According to the lame as statement they are looking for a manager with PL experience and rumors already have us meeting with someone this week but god knows who it is.

I fear Mark Hughes :eek:

3. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

4. Shaytan

Shaytan Vice Admiral Admiral

I hate the winter break. It always happens when the Ligue 1 is starting to be exciting again.

5. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

I fucking love the winter break. The season start so early in Austria, that I always have enough of all the crap after six months already and don't want to hear anything about for a couple weeks.

6. Shaytan

I would have said that a few years ago.
    Not now, but maybe I will regret it in 6 month.

7. Roger Wilco

I suppose if your club is playing well you'd feel that way. ;)

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Alex McLeish

Yup he has PL experience. Got Brum relegated from it and almost got Villa relegated from it.

To be fair he got Brum promoted and won the league cup but I have a friend who's a Villa fan who says they were dire under McLeish very defensive, 10 men behind the ball even at home at times!

One thing is certain, Forest are going to be very boring from now on...

9. Shaytan

*goes to see what's happening in the AUtrias Bundesliga*
    Mh, not this year again.

I should praise a little more my team of monsters (really). Is your blood pressure ok ?

10. Roger Wilco

It's ok, the result so far actually is better than my team has been playing (while narrowly being the worst team ever in the Europa League :lol:). It wasn't a catastrophic year, but I'm glad it's over anyway.

11. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Alex McLeish - :lol:

Oh dear - your owners really don't have a clue. Should have stuck with SoD - he's put some solid foundations in place, which will no doubt be now completely fcuked up by AM.

On the bright side, another manager for the 'Son of Brian' to tactically outwit. ;)

12. HappyDayRiot

Bloody McCleish. What are they thinking? When Forest click, they're a fine side. Absolutely tore us to shreds for 65 minutes back in October.

It could be worse though. They could be Blackburn. Or QPR.

Literally? How did they manage that?

13. Roger Wilco

Well, they won 1:0 in the last game, after losing the five previous ones. The only other team that didn't manage to get a single point in the group stage were the Shamrock Rovers last year.

14. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well say what you want about McCleish, at least Villa used to be able to keep a clean sheet...

15. HappyDayRiot

Ouch. Bullet dodged there.

Hopes/predictions for respective teams in 2013 anyone? Mine is obviously very simple... Especially with that new TV deal coming in for 2013-14, along with the FFP rules. As of next season, the Premier League is going to become even more of a closed shop. Anyone who's in it is going to be set up for life (and only be able to finish between 6th and 20th obviously)

16. Shaytan

Oh uh...pffff... :lol:

As a supporter, I have planned to be very sorry about everything my team might do.
    Sorry.

Officially, this year's goal is to win the Ligue 1 and to reach the quarter-finals of the Champion's league.

Unofficially, they also want to play some games with the UEFA :lol:

17. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Oops :)

Can the prem really become that much of a closed shop? Surely there's still going to be relegation/promotion, and if the championship proves anything it's that it's a hard division to simply buy your way out of.

18. Angel4576

^^ Always has been. Just look at our spending under Pickering. Granted, we went up eventually, but it took a good number of years before TBE managed to take us up at the first attempt. Likewise, look at the millions that were pumped into Wolves before they eventually managed to go up.

Still, I quite like our new 'organic' approach - pumping time and effort into the youth infrastructure is really paying dividend now - Hughes, Hendrick, O'Brien, Ball, Bennett already breaking through, with Kwame Thomas, Josh Lelan and Mats Morch waiting in the wings over the next couple of seasons.

19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I wouldn't mind if a little quicker, but there is a lot to be said for the approach. Problems may arise if we have to sell off too many of those players though, though I think it's a given we won't hang onto Hughes

20. Angel4576

^^ Just so long as we don't take the 'Huddlestone' approach - let him go for a handful of magic beans, and a promise of more if he ever scored a hat-trick in a world cup final..... :rolleyes: