Superman:Unbound and Flashpoint DTV

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ My thoughts exactly regarding Flashpoint.

2. drychlick

drychlick Captain Captain

:)This is great news! I like that superman storyline! I hope they do superman birthright and superman earth 1 plus some stores from the 1970 's like Action comic 500 the story of superman life where he fight his clone! and superman 300 1976 where he come to earth as a baby and become Superman in 2001! they could call it Superman 2031 lol plus batman R.I.P and the return of B.W ! take care love Drychlick bye

3. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Superman Unbound trailer :)

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpnT__PBd6Q&[/yt]

4. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Supergirl's pretty cute, but I can't say I'm that impressed by much else in there. Superman looks kinda weird, and the animation looks like a step down from their usual work.

5. Admiral_Young

I don't understand why they didn't adapt Gary Frank's art work. They used his Brainiac design but that's about it. That being said...this impressed me, and was one of Johns best stories during his Action Comics run and the cast is fantastic.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It is a very different art style, but I like it, and I love the cast. I'm not familiar with the source material, but the story definitely looks interesting.

7. Admiral_Young

It's just unusual since adapting the source material's artwork has been part of their mandates for the DTV's since the first one. It seems weird that they would abandon that now.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Uhh, no, it really hasn't. The first one was Superman/Doomsday, and its art style wasn't specifically based on the comics; in fact, a lot of people at the time felt that its look was too similar to that of the DC Animated Universe. Some of the DC Universe movies have reflected the art style of the books they adapted -- including New Frontier, the two Superman/Batman ones, All-Star Superman, and the Frank Miller adaptations -- but others, such as Under the Red Hood and Superman vs. the Elite, have not. Like everything else about these movies, it's been case by case rather than consistent across the whole line.

9. Admiral_Young

I may have made a mistake as far as the exact nature of the mandate, but where there is specific and unique artwork they have attempted to adapt it as possible. Gary Frank would fit into this. Anyway, I was impressed by the trailer and am looking forward to seeing this.

10. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I suspect there may be a licensing issue with using designs based on Reeve and Kidder in a movie. DC may have secured the rights for the comic, but never negotiated the right to then use the comic design in a DTV/movie.

11. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I suspect animating his more realistic faces and anatomy was the bigger issue. Even a simpler version of Reeve probably would have been a huge challenge for the animators, so they probably just decided it was easier to go for something different altogether.

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Casting information for Flashpoint:

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2013/...ed-movies-cast-list-includes-some-familiar-v/

A lot of returning veterans. Kevin Conroy and Dana Delany reprise Batman and Lois from the DCAU. Nathan Fillion plays Green Lantern for the third time in the DC Universe movie line, while Vanessa Marshall reprises Wonder Woman, whom she played in Crisis on Two Earths. And Ron Perlman plays Slade Wilson/Deathstroke, a character he previously played a version of in Teen Titans.

Also, Tim Daly's son Sam Daly follows in his father's, err, flight path as Superman. Other newcomers include Justin Chambers (Grey's Anatomy) as Flash, Kevin McKidd (Rome, Journeyman) as the alternate Batman, Michael B. Jordan (Chronicle) as Cyborg, Cary Elwes as Aquaman, and Danny Huston (X-Men Origins: Wolverine) as General Lane.

13. Admiral_Young

The cast alone is actually piquing my interest. Maybe this will be better than the actual story was :)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  14. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

At least there won't be a million uninteresting tie-in stories ;)

As I dimly recall, the Batman mini was the only good one...

15. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    I thought Project: Superman was good, but Hal Jordan was terrible beyond words. Abin Sur was interesting, for the alt-history of what could have happened during Blackest Night if Hal wasn't involved.

The ones I collected suffered from only having 3 issues. It didn't give them a lot of time to set up the character/world, move the plot along, and have a satisfying resolution.

16. Admiral_Young

Project Superman was weird but decent and it had heart. Azzy's Batman tie in was the best part of Flashpoint though and I'm looking forward to hearing Kevin McKidd as Thomas Wayne.

17. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Its cool to see Conroy and Delany, although since Flashpoint Batman isn't Bruce, it will be weird having Conroy. Still, the cast will help this movie.

18. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Conroy voices the Bruce Wayne Batman, while Kevin McKidd voices the alternate Batman.

19. Admiral_Young

"Superman: Unbound" came out yesterday. Has anyone had a chance to watch it yet? I'm about twenty minutes in and so far the cast is extremely impressive, as is the animation for this this. It seems that they chose to ignore or not include the Zod part of the Brainiac invasion of Krypton. Clark and Lois are also "secretly dating" instead of being married like they were in the comics during this arc. I'll have further thoughts when I finish watching it, but so far I think it's been great.

20. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Watched it. Liked it. Wasn't anywhere near as awesome as The Elite one, but good enough. Yeah, the voice cast was fantastic, and a neat little detail I did a dance of joy for, they included the yellow \S/ on the cape.