Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by bbjeg, Sep 6, 2013.

?

Do fans want the prime timeline back?

1. I'm a fan and I want the Prime timeline back.

56.0%
  2. I'm a fan and I don't want the Prime timeline back.

16.4%
  3. I'm a fan and wouldn't mind if it came back.

11.1%
  4. I don't care, just give me Trek!

14.6%
  5. I don't know.

1.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

As much as I hate time travel being overdone, saving Vulcan and seeing Pine in a TOS type Enterprise as the last scene just strikes me as a rather nice way to end a trilogy...

2. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    If they're going to toss the last 40 years and start over, they should just develop some other SF series that includes spaceships, heroic captains, aliens, etc. It seems to me as though they only want to call it "Star Trek" because it's a recognized brand name.

And personally I don't actually care about Kirk's medals. I worked in the theatre (as in live theatre), and sometimes we didn't have access to all the props (they might have been damaged or lost). We had to do a lot of improvising. In all honesty, I never noticed those ST details.

You are confusing me with one of those "Berman-Trek fans." I'm primarily a TOS fan who happens to like specific episodes of TNG, specific characters in DS9, and most of Voyager.

3. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Because Star Trek is more than just forty years of continuity. It's a concept--and sometimes a set of characters--that aren't necessarily tied to the particulars of what happened in a previous cycle of TV shows or movies.

You can make a STAR TREK movie or TV series, about the crew of the Starship Enterprise exploring strange new worlds and all that, without having to, say, stick to exactly what "Balance of Terror" said about the Romulan Wars. That was the old version. Doesn't mean you can make a new one.

Just like you can make a Sherlock Holmes movie without being wedded to the continuity of the old Basil Rathbone movies or whatever. Or you can make, say, a Mission: Impossible movie that doesn't necessarily treat every old TV episode as "canon."

Star Trek does not have to incorporate the "prime timeline" to be recognizable as Star Trek. Trek is an idea, not a trivia contest. :)

4. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Forbid the concept that Kirk and Spock aren't the only characters in the Star Trek universe and the setting isn't fixed on the starship Enterprise only.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

This absolutely kills me! :guffaw:

There are seventy-nine episodes of Star Trek, there are over six-hundred episodes of the spin-offs. I'd say it's about time to explore the core of Star Trek a little bit more before rushing off to create yet another generic ship and crew.

6. Greg Cox

Okay, I have to ask: If Batman Begins was going to ignore all the previous Batman movies and TV series and start over again, should they have just invented another dark avenger of the night?

Of course not. Because the concept and the character do NOT equal the continuity. Batman Begins is no less a Batman movie for starting over from scratch than any new Star Trek project that keeps the basic idea but chucks the continuity of the previous versions.

(Plus, let's be honest: If they'd done what you suggest, but kept the transporters and starships and a prime directive and such, everyone would rightly accuse the "new" series of ripping off Star Trek!)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  7. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

I actually think there's something to what BillJ says about starting from scratch and inventing with the same sense of freedom the original show's creators did. But I do think that at a certain point, one may well be better off to just call it a new property -- especially if that would actually allow one to get away from transporters and prime directives and ships that only go to "M-class" planets. If enough of the specific concept were kept, one could still call it Trek, but a lot of the concept was based on budget constraints of Sixties television.

8. David.Blue

David.Blue Commander Red Shirt

Good point. I remember trying to tell people about Babylon Five when it was on, and was astounded at the number of people who literally could not wrap their head around this not being Star Trek.

"I really like it..."

"Yeah but I'm not into Star Trek."

"This isn't Star Trek."

"Oh, I know--but its set in the same universe."

"No. It isn't."

"I thought it was."

"Nope. Totally different."

"But its exactly like Star Trek."

"I like both and this isn't much like Star Trek at all."

"Yeah, but the exact same people did it, that's what I mean."

"Actually, they have nothing to do with one another."

"But it is just like Star Trek, right?"

:wtf:

9. BigJake

Well, B5 did just fine for all that. Indeed it's partly thanks to Straczynski that I doubt one would have similar conversations about a new show starting today.

10. Greg Cox

True story: Many years ago, an original sf novel fell into the hands of a copyeditor who didn't seem to realize that that Star Trek and science fiction were not one and the same, so he want through and "corrected" the manuscript to make it consistent with what he knew about Star Trek, changing the book's own terminology to "phasers," "warp drive," "Starfleet," etc.

Needless to say, all of this had to be undone before the book could be published! :)

11. BigJake

It occurs to me there are probably people who think Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones are the same thing.

12. Greg Cox

Absolutely. If you're not into the genre, it all looks the same to you. Just like some people think that all westerns are just the same old "cowboys and Indians" cliches. Or can't tell the difference between a good slasher movie and a piece of junk.

Or, worse yet, think that all vampire stories are just rip-offs of Twilight . . . :)

13. BigJake

Perhaps what we need is moar glitter.

14. Greg Cox

There was great bit on Big Bang Theory last season,when Amy got Star Wars and Star Trek mixed up.

"Star Trek," Penny corrected her. "Not Star Wars."

Amy: "What's the difference?"

Penny, coming clean: "There is NO difference!"

(Heck, I've been introduced as a "Star Wars author" more than once. Most of the time, I don't bother correcting people.)

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

More than once I've heard people refer to Spider-man as "Superman". :lol:

16. BigJake

Leonard Nimoy:[referring to the monorail] I'd say this vessel could do at least Warp Five.
    [crowd laughs]
    Mayor Quimby: And let me say, "May the Force be with you."
    Leonard Nimoy: [annoyed] Do you even know who I am?
    Mayor Quimby: I think I do. Weren't you one of the Little Rascals?

17. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Real Vampires don't eat Quiche...Er...I mean don't glitter

18. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^Maybe gay vampires do.

19. Greg Cox

I don't recall any quiche in "Carmilla." :)

20. David.Blue

David.Blue Commander Red Shirt

Completely off-topic--I am the author of The Annotated Carmilla and have written a play based on that story. We're having auditions this Saturday! :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.