Describe YOUR new Star Trek series.

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Eronai, Jan 27, 2015.

1. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Many of the best Trek episodes are those that feature ethical dilemmas (if this is to what you refer). Episodes like Measure of a Man and Tuvix, movies like Insurrection.

One of the ideas I've advocated for a new series would be post-Romulan war late 22nd century, the Federation would still be quite raw, and the multi-species crew of the hero starship would not be in intellectual lockstep with each other.

An example of this, one of my favorite scenes in Trek occurs during Penpals, the senior officers gather in Picard's quarters to discuss the prime directive, it's revealed that they don't agree with each other as to what the hell the prime directive means.

Most of the Starfleet characters would be a diverse group in terms of their beliefs. Ethics, morality, economics, philosophies, religion, politics. As we get to know them we'll realize that the characters are very different from each other. There were times in the later seasons of TNG where the officers appeared to be one person played by different actors.

By being different they can then during the course of the show discuss and advocate alternate solutions to that's week's problem, coming at it from the various cultural backgrounds. I think it would be "good" for the show if occasional they get it wrong, they screw things up and the solution they arrive at simple doesn't work.

:)

2. Tim Walker

Tim Walker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have been reading a history book regarding the late Bronze Age-"1177 B.C. The Year Civilization Collapsed" by Eric H. Cline.

The ancient Egyptians fought naval battles against the Sea Peoples.

"In 1177 BC...the Egyptians were victorious. The Sea Peoples would not return to Egypt....However, it was a Pyrrhic victory. Although Egypt under Ramses III was the only major power to successfully resist the onslaught of the Sea Peoples, New Kingdom Egypt was never the same again afterward, most likely because of the other problems faced by the entire Mediterranean region during this period...The succeeding pharoaohs, for the rest of the second millennium BC, were content to rule over a country much diminished in influence and power. Egypt became a second-rate empire, a mere shadow of what it had once been. It was not until the days of Pharaoh Shoshenq, a Libyan who founded the Twenty-Second Dynasty ca. 945 BC...that Egypt rose to a semblance of prominence again."

My opinion, in this context, is that victory was not Pyrrhic, because what was at stake was the very survival of one's society.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  3. Tim Walker

Tim Walker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Perhaps Slipstream is based on salvaged alien technology? From a higher (Borg equivalent?) tech level? TV tropes discusses Low Culture/High Tech. In a Trek context, that might give us Insufficiently Advanced Alien situation-note the real life example of the Maori's using a ship.

I imagine a ship as a conglomeration, with alien slipstream technology combined with familiar Federation technology. Federation scientists don't understand the alien tech very well, and Star Fleet doesn't have a very good understanding of how to use the technology.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  4. TPT

TPT Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I want the new Star Trek series to be set about 100~150 years after the TNG/DS9/VOY era. I think we beat 24th century to the ground with 3 series taking place at that time period. Also, I want the show to be in the prime timeline.

Furthermore, assuming that new creators will be taking charge of the new show, I hope that they will have love and respect towards the past series and that their love for the Star Trek universe will be reflected in their actual work.

5. MANT!

MANT! Vice Admiral Admiral

I was intrigued by a spin-off proposal supposedly by Gene Roddenberry that Harry Mudd could have his own series..

Comic Capers and Nefarious Doings in Space...Star Trek style, I guess Paramount didn't see it the way Gene did..
    Some aspects of Firefly have gone over that road recently..

6. Doom Shepherd

Doom Shepherd Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I postulated this one a long time ago. Would have been part of an RPG I played at the time. Think of it as a teaser trailer.

Fade in to star field.

Pan slowly upward, as a glow coms from off top screen.

*background chatter, almost inaudible*

BORG VOICE: "Resistance is futile."

Random chatter like in when the fleet in ST:FC first engages the Borg: "Lexington has been destroyed! Shields collapsing! Fall back! No Effect!" etc.

Upward pan reveals a familiar once bluish planet... now assimilated.

Voice ('Alt. Riker from 'Parallels'): "The Federation's GONE! The Borg are EVERYWHERE!"

cut to visual of small, damaged-looking, lonely-looking ship making its way through space.

Voice Over: "Captain's log, Stardate... irrelevant. These are the voyages of the Starship Exeter. It's mission... to survive."

Caption: STAR TREK: THE LAST SHIP

7. Doom Shepherd

Another idea I had, long before "Enterprise," but given the future canon history of Romulus, it still might be adapted to work changes in bold:

STAR TREK: EMPIRE'S END

*I want to start off by admitting that the concept of this story is shockingly similar to that of the New Frontier books by Peter David. However, I came up with the idea independently, before I ever read those books. Truthfully.*

It's XX years after the Dominion War.

The Romulan Empire, having used up most of its military resources during a series of Wars, and, due to its isolationism not being able to economically and politically recoup, has collapsed. Romulus was destroyed in the Hoban Hypernova.

The Romulans have split into several squabbling factions, each of which is trying to gain power in its own way, including:
    --- Old Imperialists
    --- The Tal Shiar
    --- The Unificationists
    --- Petty Warlords and Pirates

The Orion Syndicate is moving in.

Various and sundry planets that were previously Romulan-subjugated worlds with servitor people, are rebelling, some seeking simply independence, some seeking to startup their own little Empires.

The mysterious unknown powers on the other side of Romulan space (What I assumed the Romulans to mean in "The Neutral Zone" when they spoke of 'matters of greater urgency caused our absence') are making subtle moves and overtures.

Into this cauldron, as an attempt to help create a little stability, while simultaneously gathering information in space that was previously a no-go area, is flung our heroes' starship, either a veteran of the Dominion Wars, or a ship that was constructed shortly thereafter. The older members of the crew are War veterans, the newer ones not much more than cadets. (This would reflect the losses suffered) might have to switch this up a bit given the canon time since the DW. Would Borg invasion suffice?

They are guided through this space by a Romulan or two on board, possibly including a Garaklike character (cross Garak and Neelix? ok, NO. ), any or both of whom may have agendas of their own.

8. Doom Shepherd

I had a similar idea, based on the game I ran: The characters were going to be "recruited" on a mission by the Guardian of Forever, to "repair" various timelines, in a cross between "Sliders" "Quantum Leap," and Marvel's "Exiles" comic book.

SO many ideas. They could revisit almost every past Star Trek episode, or implied major event, asking the question "What if this had gone differently?"

What would a world when Khan wasn't crazy, and didn't need to be overthrown, be like?

What if Kahless failed to unite the Klingons, and they destroyed themselves instead? What would the Star Trek universe be like without Klingons?

What if First Babel had failed, leading to the Balkanization of Federation Space?

What if Khan had succeeded in taking over the Enterprise, and set out in search of new worlds to conquer?

What if, upon the Reliant's refusal to communicate, Kirk followes regulations, and puts the shields up? The Enterprise is NOT so heavily damaged. Khan dies. Spock lives. Genesis is not detonated... OTOH, there's no Bird of Prey to fly back to 1986 and pick up whales.

What if the destruction of the Constellation fails to destroy the Doomsday Machine? It destroys or cripples the Enterprise and wreaks havoc throughout the quadrant.

What if Azetbur had been weaker of character, listened to her more aggressive advisors after Gorkon's assassination, and attacked immediately? If the story's facts were correct, they couldn't have won, but in falling, they might have left the Quadrant in shambles (if they had 50 years of life left before the War's inception, it would have been depleted long before TNG... a different timeline even than "Yesterday's Enterprise") or even fatally damaged the Federation as well, leaving a power vacuum to be filled by... ?

9. JTShanks

JTShanks Lieutenant Red Shirt

My version of Star Trek would be a darker version of Star Trek and one that would be in a somewhat more realistic world of Trek. Not one that would be more technologically realistic mind you; but things with more real world problems and situations that would not be dealt with super easily with the simple "Reasoning and negotiations." Heartfelt speeches and wonderfully said dialogue and morality would not be the all time savior of the future in this world of Trek; and this is mean to reflect how our world is today because of how cynical the people are today towards the government, towards society and the lack of faith in ourselves to become better than we are.

Essentially it would be a show that asks questions about the morals that Trek has been known for, for many years, and make the viewer wonder about their pre-concieved notions about Trek.

As the series progresses though there will be progress through the series that makes an interesting note of all the good things that has happened and that humanity will always have obstacles to over come and go through, even in a "Utopian" society like Star Trek.

10. Doom Shepherd

So, Deep Space Nine. :guffaw:

11. JTShanks

:rommie: Somewhat, but I would make it a little more serious and darker than DS9 really was.

12. wildsulu

wildsulu Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

folks, I want to invite you all to a game I started in the general thread. It involves inventing a star trek story with the 3 actors that the previous person chose.

You can find it here: http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=268045
    explanation at the top -- scroll down for the latest pick of 3 actors

13. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So... Enterprise? ;)

14. JTShanks

Enterprise wasn't exactly that dark though.... :cardie:

15. Brainsucker

Brainsucker Captain Captain

I still remember an old game called "Star Trek : Star Fleet Academy" It had a very good story about a team of Star Fleet Academy Cadets. I think that Star Trek, Star Fleet Academy is a good setting for the new Star Trek series. They can always go to outer space, just like in DS9 Valiant or the other TNG episodes. But the setting will be better if it is in 23rd century, like in the game.

The Main character will be the Cadet David Forester, just like in the game. And he leads a group of cadets, just like in the game. In the course of the story, our heroes will face against the terrorist Vanguard. The story begin in an era where the increasing tension between Federation and Klingon Empire become very dominan issue on Earth. The shadow of war between two power become more and more imminence with the progress of the story. Every cadets understand, that war can be break any time, and they will be send into the front line. This situation is, of course affect the morale to the characters in the story. Because, unlike the Federation in 24th century, the 23rd Century Federation sees Klingon as a very powerful Empire that the war can cause a great deal damage to the Federation.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  16. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My version of Star Trek would be a totally mental romp through outer space. There'd be weird blobby aliens in space, robot women and purple plants everywhere. It would have a 60's kitsch-ness to it and be the strangest program on TV.

17. Doom Shepherd

Honestly, I'd be afraid that the network would turn it into "Star Trek: 90210."

18. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

A series focused on Starfleet Intelligence in the TOS period... Cloak-and-dagger, Cold War kind of stuff, influenced by the original Mission Impossible and the early James Bond movies. Disguises, infiltrating Klingon and Romulan territory, etc.

Kor

19. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Star Trek: Reliant, set during the late-2270/early-2280s. Chadwick Boseman would be a good fit as Clark Terrell.

--Sran

20. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The "Star Trek: Sliders" idea is one I've given a fair amount of thought to, having conceived it independently.

Set on a future Enterprise, testing a new propulsion system, the crew gets unknowingly transported to a parallel universe, just enough like ours so they don't realize that anything's amiss until they're elbows deep in crap. In addition to the regular crew, the regulars would include ambassadors from Klingon and Romulan empires. The Klingon is an old drunk, his current posting being the equivalent of being put out to pasture. The Romulan is, of course, a Tal Shiar agent. I also postulated the presence of a female Orion helmsperson. Why? Because I've had it with "Ice Princesses" like 7 of 9 and T'Pol. If you're going to have a sex symbol on the ship have one that actually has sex.