Spoilers TF: Revelation and Dust by DRGIII Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Aug 18, 2013.

?

Rate Revelation and Dust.

1. Outstanding

30 vote(s)
    23.6%
  2. Above Average

49 vote(s)
    38.6%
  3. Average

30 vote(s)
    23.6%
  4. Below Average

10 vote(s)
    7.9%
  5. Poor

8 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

About a third of the way through, hard going so far - the Kira stuff is dull and there is a hell of lot of backstory being relayed.

2. Shane Houston

Shane Houston Commander Red Shirt

I have a question for those who have read it. I have not picked it up yet, but checked it out on Amazon in it's Look Inside feature. And something I noticed bothered me.

In the scene where we see what happened to Kira in the wormhole in the last book, from her perspective. It says she flies by Sisko's ship in her runabout, and it's the USS Robinson, Galaxy class. But in the last novel Sisko was in command of the Defiant while the Robinson undergoes repairs.

Was that bad editing or was there a point to it?

3. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Not trying to steer sales or anything, but if you buy these online and haven't already pre-ordered them, the The Fall series on Amazon are showing up as $4.79 a book right now. First one shipped to me the other day, and noticed it was a couple bucks cheaper than expected, so went back and looked. If you haven't already ordered ahead, may wish to jump on this, nice deal!

4. Ben Maxwell

Ben Maxwell Ensign

Don't know how to use the spoiler tags, so read at your own risk.

Are we seeing Star Trek taking the 50th anniversary of the JFK assasination and retelling it in Trek form? I am so glad Bacco is dead. No offense to Keith DeCandido (SP?) but she was a saracastic quip loving idiot of a character. It' been a long 8 years of dealing wtih the Cestus Wonder.

Looking forward to a new shrewd leader like Min Zife.

5. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I should not have read that spolier before I started the novel Saturday.

6. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

Same here, but I knew I was entering the thread at my own risk.

7. Shane Houston

Son of a bitch. That's the worst spoiler to know. Now the book is ruined.

8. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I read David's interview at Trekcore discussing this novel and the other upcoming books.I though it was interesting how he commented about Kira's journey like the Ds9 mission gamma books lead to Ben Sisko's return in Unity.

9. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Of course, you're in a REVIEW thread, which also says SPOILERS! in the title, so not sure what you were expecting, but that's kinda it. If you blew past the warnings, can't do much else to help. Very obviously enter at your own risk when you venture into spoiler threads for books or movies you haven't read/watched yet...

10. Shane Houston

Yes. I get that. But a plot point THAT important should be in code. I came here to get a feel for what others are saying about the book, and expect some spoilers. That one is a biggie.

11. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have a sneaking suspision that we might have a new RBoE-thing coming up. People judged that book completely by itself, even though it turned out later that DRGIII was going somewhere with it.

Since this is the first of a 5-book series, I think people need to realize that things that make NO sense whatsoever now, might make a lot of sense later on.

In retrospect, I shouldn't have voted just yet. I haven a tendency to not vote for a single volume of a series, untill after I read all of them. I did so with PoN/RtD, and I think I will refrain from voting on the other novels coming up.

12. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

If you don't want to risk spoilers, don't go into spoiler threads. pretty straight-forward. It doesn't say MINOR spoliers, just spoilers. If you want to remain in the dark, the spoiler thread is a bad place to be.

Personally, I don't get that upset over spoilers. I'm in this thread and haven't read the book yet (should be here tonight). But then again, I care less about the 30 seconds of shock, and more about the couple hundred pages around it that LED to the moment. HOW it happens (and why, etc) is more important than knowing that it DOES happen.

Unless it's a gimmick thing like the Sixth Sense, the spoilers don't really matter to me. Enjoy the story.

13. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe I am one of the few that thought Bacco was an effective president, given what she had to deal with?

14. Shane Houston

So why do we have spoiler code? We just had a thread about when to use them and stop using them. The consensus was that we should stop when a book hits the 6 month mark. This novel hasn't been out six minutes.

And no offense to the poster who just joined three days ago, if you don't know how to use a function, wouldn't it be wise to find out how before to do that before dropping something like that in a novel this new. I just think that we shouldn't start a precedence.

If not then we shouldn't bother with spoiler code at all. Here's a link to the thread about spoilers.

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=223141

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  15. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Cheers for hightlighting that thread.

As for your opinion over the spoiler, have you not heard of common sense?

This is a thread about a book that has just been released, thus not everyone has read it, like yourself and myself and if you don't want to be spoiled don't bloody well read the thread. I probably should have qualified in that other thread that it was concerning books that have been out a while when discussing them away from the main spoiler filled discussion thread.

It was your own fault (as my own fault) for reading that spoiler, no one else's. So yes, have you heard of common sense?

16. 2of1million

2of1million Captain Captain

I bought the ebook today, but I think I'll wait until a few more of the books are out before I read it. ;)

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

He did say that he didn't know how to use the spoiler and then said he was about to post a spoiler, so he didn't do anything wrong there.

That's pretty much my opinion on spoilers too. I'm more concerned with the whole book rather than just what happens in one or two scenes.

18. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

Halliwell (and everyone else who isn't sure) - spoiler code is for when you're wanting to post something that's a spoiler for either a book that isn't the one being discussed, or you're in a thread that isn't marked with spoilers.

If the thread title has "spoilers" in it, then the book is open for free and complete discussion and you do read at your own risk.

19. Nob Akimoto

Nob Akimoto Captain Captain

At some point, it kinda feels like the Pocket Books folks are doing everything possible to go in a different direction from the background info from Star Trek Online, doesn't it? I mean I don't mind it, but it seems almost deliberate at this point.

20. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Rather, when Star Trek Online was created in 2009-10, its creators deliberately chose to contradict the direction the novels had already been going in for years. It borrowed some ideas and characters from the novels, like Titan and President Bacco, but it disregarded most of the DS9 post-finale series, the events of Destiny and the surrounding books, the novels' prior portrayals of races like Species 8472, and so on. STO chose to be a separate continuity from the start, and it and the novels have both been charting their own independent courses.