Shore Leave

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by dansigal, Jul 17, 2013.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've looked around on their site a few times, there stuff does sound pretty cool. If I get more extra money I might have to check out some of their stuff.

2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Woo hoo! I've just committed to attending my first Shore Leave ever. 2014 is my year! Finally seeing the USA in a season other than the middle of winter!

In the 80s and 90s I attended (and even hosted as MC) many Aussie conventions, and managed to be in New York the same weekend as a Creation Con in January 1984. So I kinda know what to expect.

All tips for a successful convention gratefully received! Thank you!

3. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

You don't want to miss the big mass author signing on Friday night. It starts around ten and is the one time you will find every Trek writer present in the same place!

See you there!

4. Therin of Andor

Yep. That's my main drawcard, of course!

Excellent! Can't wait!

5. Lorraine Anderson

Lorraine Anderson Writer Red Shirt

Hope to see you!

6. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Yes and no. I'm loath to liken Shore Leave to any of the sleazy Creation dog-and-pony shows that are specifically designed to separate the attendee from as much of their money as humanly possible, all while trying to make sure the experience is as dehumanizing as possible for said attendee. Shore Leave is a much more pleasant and edifying experience for folks who show up to it than any Creation show could ever hope to be.

Lookin' forward to seeing you there. :)

7. James Swallow

James Swallow Writer Captain

I must come back to the US and do a con again one of these years; Shore Leave is lots of fun.

On a related subject... Does anyone know of good cons that take place in Ohio? I need an excuse to go visit the USAF museum...

8. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

I never went to either when I lived in Ohio, but my anime fan and/or 501st friends usually did both Mid-Ohio Con (now "Ohio Comic Con") and Ohayocon. Not sure if either would have the requisite audience, though.

9. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

I think I may try to join you all at shore leave this year too! Cannot have Therin of Andor having all the fun:)

10. Therin of Andor

Hi KRAD, I certainly wasn't comparing Shore Leave to Creation. What I meant is, I've attended, MCed and helped organise the full gamut of conventions here in Australia, both fan-run and highly commercial, and have attended Creation-style cons here and in USA, so after many years of hearing attendee reviews of Shore Leave, I hope I have enough experience to pitch my expectations appropriately.

Seems to me it has a reputation of being a large, well organized, well attended convention.

11. Therin of Andor

Hi Knowledgeable Ones,

I paid for my convention ticket on March 4 by PayPal. Should I have received a code by now to be able to book a room in the hotel at a convention rate?

Thanks.

12. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Go right now this second to Shore Leave's hotel page and make your reservation. All the instructions are there. You were never going to be sent a code by the con because they just assumed you'd get the information off the web site......

13. Therin of Andor

I haven't been sent anything by the con yet, only my PayPal receipt. When I last visited that hotel page, it seemed to be requiring a convention code to be entered. I can't get it to offer me anything for my requested four nights, so am I to assume that only some rooms are actually offered at con rates and they are all sold out?

Reducing my stay to only the Thursday and Friday I have been able to secure a very expensive room, and I'm still homeless for the Saturday and Sunday nights. Sigh.

So do more rooms get released, or this is it and I now have to seek alternative arrangements for the other two nights?

Information and tips appreciated please.

14. Therin of Andor

Not having much luck. Since that online room booking failed to register (twice), it looks like I'll be staying directly across from the convention hotel instead. My travel agent was also locked out from making a booking at the Hunt Valley Inn.

I'm hoping it is actually possible for pedestrians to get across the main road at some point? And that it's a safe part of town to be venturing back late at night?

Advice always welcome please.

15. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it's safe from a violence perspective - but that is not a trivial road to cross. I believe it's 4 lanes going both ways and the freeway on/off ramps are right near by.

16. Therin of Andor

That's what it seems to be on the map. But is there a pedestrian overpass, at some point?

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No overpass, but there's a crosswalk at the intersection of Shawan and McCormick Roads. Unfortunately it's on the opposite side of McCormick from the hotels in question, and McCormick itself doesn't have a convenient place to cross on the north side. Nor are there any proper sidewalks along Shawan, so you mostly have to go through the hotel parking lots. Ideally, if you're a first-timer, find an experienced congoer to guide you.

On my first Shore Leave, I'd come overnight by Greyhound and was lugging a heavy old unwheeled suitcase around, and I was exhausted and got lost trying to find the hotel, and when I finally spotted it I was on the wrong side of Shawan. In my exhaustion and stupidity, I jaywalked across Shawan to get to the hotel, and I was lucky that I didn't get hit by a car.

18. Therin of Andor

Okay, that makes me feel better! Thank you. My travel agent urged me to check Google street maps when she realised that her recommendation of hotel was on the other side of such a major road. I don't mind walking out of my way if I can eventually get to a crosswalk and do it safer and legally.

Just now, I finally succeeded in getting the convention hotel to accept my room booking for the night of my arrival in Baltimore (Thursday) and the night of the Pocket authors function (Friday), but I'll have to check out the next morning and go elsewhere for the Saturday and Sunday nights. Nothing left at convention rates at all.

19. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

...oh shit! I can go this year!

I always teach at summer camps or take on other summer projects that conflict, but amazingly enough the camp I'm working for this year ends three days before Shore Leave. Five years in a row I had a conflict and I'd basically given up checking.

...but not this time! Yay!

Is there any, like, TrekBBS meet up or anything? I would love to meet some of you in person.

20. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

You know, a TrekBBS meetup sounds like a cool idea . . . .