La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Harvey, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Many episodes do, but the unaired pilot used a lot from those movies as well as Garden of Evil and Journey to the Center of the Earth.

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea and The Time Tunnel used the Fox music library much more heavily.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  2. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Are you saying that Courage wrote music that sounded like Herrmann for The Cage or are you saying that there were actual tracks from those movies? Journey to the Center of the Earth is the only Herrmann score I know backwards and forwards and I don't recall ever hearing it in Star Trek.

I've never even heard this as a rumor before.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^We're talking about Lost in Space, not Star Trek.

4. Tallguy

Thanks. My world is back to normal now.

5. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I know the feeling. :)

6. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes--the tracked score for "The Lights of Zetar" is almost a tribute episode, considering all it took from the 2nd pilot score.

7. Ssosmcin

Zetar was one of the few to use the actual cues from prior seasons (they also used The Doomsday Machine). Most of the other episodes had library music which rerecorded season one scores with season 3 orchestrations.

8. Christopher

^There weren't many changes in the orchestrations, were there? I think they substituted other instruments or voices for the electronic guitar in the pilot scores, but otherwise the orchestrations were pretty much the same, with just subtle differences in the performance and conducting, and maybe the occasional change to the ending of a cue so it would just trail off instead of segueing into another part.

9. Tallguy

The third season re-recordings of the pilots are very different because they didn't have that one fellow's "magic box" that made a lot of the electronic effects.

10. Christopher

^Yes, that or the electronic guitar. But otherwise the arrangements were pretty much the same, right?

11. Tallguy

I'd say yes. Yesterday I just listened to Courage's second season re-recordings of Steiner and Fried's first season cues. (On the 47th anniversary of the recording.) There is a "Courage-ness" about them, different from when the original composers conducted. But I'm not sure that would count as a different arrangement.

12. Ssosmcin

Perhaps I'm using the wrong word (I'm bad with musical terms), but it was recorded in the with the same sound and style of the third season. Maybe the number of players/size of orchestra is the difference, but they sound like 3rd season recordings rather than music pulled from the first season stock. I may be thinking of "orchestration."

13. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, "orchestration" would be the specific instruments used, how many, and at what times they play. For instance a trumpet could enter earlier in a second recording of the same piece and you might call that a different orchestration, even though a trumpet was used on the first.

If a different conductor conducts the same instruments differently, that would be a different "interpretation." I don't have the box set, but from dvd through external speakers, S3 seems to have better fidelity than S1. The music is more string-heavy, I know, but even trying to account for that they sound truer with more highs than strings in S1. Anyone with the box notice differences audio-wise through the run? of course maybe the skilled LaLa folks compensated in the mastering of the box.
    Fun topic.

14. Ssosmcin

Cool, thanks. However it's best to say it, the rerecorded cues are done in the style of the third season. :)

15. plynch

Now I'm curious whether they're differently orchestrated; or if it's due to a different conductor, recording engineer, or audio technology.

Minutiae, eh?

16. Tallguy

Yes, each season definitely has it's own sound. And no, I'm not a big fan of the third season sound. Even scores that everyone tells me I should love (Spock's Brain, Enterprise Incident) I'm not crazy about.

17. JimZipCode

JimZipCode Commander Red Shirt

Spock's Brain has a crazy fight theme, that appears in two cues: Caveman Fight and Scientific Fight. It just erupts over some placid, static music. Whenever I listen to that, I can't get it out of my head for a couple days.

18. JimZipCode

The other thing that jumps out at me, the Royal Phil is a larger "instrument" than the studio orchestra Fried recorded with. I think it sounds better. Many times I prefer listening to that version – I wish they had recorded Fried's whole score. Their version is a good one, but its omissions don't all make sense to me ("Forest Montage", for example). Also, "Miramanee's Death" needs the sting.

But the bigger sound of the orchestra is a big plus to me, in the Bremner version.

19. plynch

That's one thing that has kept me from buying the box, which I applaud, by the way. I just don't think I would revisit the discs after a listen, due to the studio orch and dry sound. Unless they "sweetened" things for the release, which I doubt. I too heard those records/discs starting in the 80s which sounded so good.

20. JimZipCode

There's some great stuff on there. Even on the scores that have been released, there is new stuff. And of course there were a lot of unreleased scores. The Enemy Within score is probably my favorite of the "new" stuff; and it is awesome.

I think you're missing out. :)