Allow Myself to Introduce...Myself

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by 1001001, Mar 14, 2006.

1. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

I watch the Discovery Channel.

_dane

2. FatherRob

FatherRob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hi, all... what can I say...

I got hooked on spaceflight thanks to my uncle, who worked on the IU (Instrument Unit) on the Saturn IB and Saturn V boosters for NASA. He lived on the Banana River and I got to go over as a child and watch mission launches. I was there for STS-7 (Sally Ride's first mission).

I have been a lifelong space-nut and am an amature astronomer with Binoculars, though I am looking to get a new telescope at some point (neither of my current units work worth a darn).

I am also here to worship the glory that is Naraht, but if we can all keep that to ourselves, it would be less embarassing when she rejects me ;)

Rob+

3. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

While my talents lie mostly in the arts, my interests lie mostly in the sciences. I practically learned to read on Astronomy, Paleontology and Archaeology books. Those are still my favorites, but I've picked up many more over the years. Especially Physics (as in quarks, leptons, et al). Basically, I'm a Romantic with a taste for the exotic, so I've had a lifelong love for science and science fiction. I subscribe to many science magazines, including Science News, Archaeology, Smithsonian, Air & Space, Discover, Natural History and Popular Science. I also belong to The Planetary Society and The Cousteau Society. And the SABC. ;)

Another thing that fascinates me is higher math. Which is unfortunate, because my brain can't really grasp it. I can sit for hours reading about the mysteries of pi and the Mandelbot Set and come away the feeling that it was all trying to tell me something that I'm too stupid to grasp.

No degrees, though. I'm way too Bohemian to sit in a classroom. One semester at Emerson is the extent of my higher education. :cool:

--------------------
    Large In Time; Spoken Word; The RH Factor; Gee whiz! :cool:

4. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Well, at first i was agains thtis forum but since its here i might as well come in and enjoy it, right ;) Right now im a freshie in college (State University of New York at Buffalo)and i am a history major, though i may switch that to Biology next year. After college im gonna spend a few years in the army, hopefully in the Aviation Branch (fat chance, but its a goal :lol: )

5. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

I've got a Bachelors and Masters degree in environmental engineering. But, career wise I've gotten more into the civil side of things - public works, site development, etc. I'm going for my professional engineer's license next month.
    I'd like to get back more on the environmental side of things, but the work is steady and pays the bills with what I'm in now.

As with many others here, I enjoy astronomy and the space program. I'm also pretty outdoorsy. I like to spend time outside and enjoy the various terrains and wildlife and plant life that's around.

6. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm just a techhead, and my job is building computers or other electronic/mechanical stuff, i have built about 11.000 computers in the last 10 years and i own 45 of them ranging from a 1983 IBM PC all the way up to a server with 11x 300 Gb HDD's.. all connected to 2 RAID controllers (imagine the cables) :evil:

7. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

Alduce me to interlow myself

I'm a first year geography major, and, like so many others here, I'm facinated with space and I love gadgets. :D

8. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Alduce me to interlow myself

Come to think of it, I've also got a "guilt by association" fascination by medical imaging. I'm dating someone who's doing a PhD in in cancer imagine and some of the images she shows me are fascinating.

I don't know a damned thing about it, other than that it's pretty cool to look at.

9. Titus Andronicus

Titus Andronicus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Re: Alduce me to interlow myself

I've always been fascinated with the stars and with space travel, and by extension, with much of science. I wanted to be an Aerospace Engineer when I entered an engineering magnet high school, but quickly realized I wasn't the best at math and physics....so today I am a Sophomore pursuing a degree in Writing and Linguistics, with a minor in History, but always reading up on the latest news in science and technology!

10. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hello, I dropped by because hey it's a new forum, gotta check it out...

Might have questions every now and then to put to the experts. Hope you know a lot about space science. :D

11. General Martok

General Martok Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm a musician. But I have a subscription to Popular Science...

12. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Any scientists here with a sub to Popular Musician? :D

13. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hi all,

I've liked science, even though I'm a business administration major. I think what really interested me into science was last year when I took a Psychology class and we talked about so many differen scientific theories such as Darwin and evolution, Pavlov and behavioral models, Frued and the whole concept of dreaming and psychoanalysis.

I've also always been facinated in space exploration, which is probably why I'm a fan of Star Trek and sci-fi in general, and wish there would be a private orginization to fund space exploration. We need it, not just because exploration is important, but because in a time of crisis, we need something to look foward to like the moon landing in 1969. On that note, america was a unified nation and we need something like that again.

14. PorthosShadow

PorthosShadow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Welcome 1001001, its nice to see someone in this kind of forum with a real education :D But I have to say I'm kind of 50/50 when it comes to science and technology. Granted I love all it can do for us and it is fansinating to see how everything in nature works in a clear logical way but man all those explanations can get boreing. However I do have an imagination to relax me when science becomes to much.

15. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

Hi, all!

I'm a huge huge fan of the golden days of NASA (though I think its current state is one of misery and stagnation) and I'm a big supporter of privately-developed spaceflight. I'm also a computer/general technology nerd.

In terms of science, I am decent at astronomy, evolution, and basic physics. I'm not so good at biology, though I do think that the theories on evolution make sense, and I like genetics theory. I haven't touched chemistry in God knows how long.

Oh, and while I'm not an expert on dinosaurs or ancient extinct species, I do enjoy discussing extinction-level events. I wonder what that says about me... :devil:

16. galleywest

galleywest Lovable Flake Premium Member

Hi all! Cool new forum!

I'm in the social sciences, myself. I teach anthropology and archaeology at the university level and my specialty is medieval archaeology (it seemed like a good idea at the time). I'm interested in humans--how we work, why we do what we do, how we process information. How have we experienced the world in the past and how do we experience it now?

17. Trippy

Trippy NaNoWriMo Victim Admiral

I'm liking this new forum!

I teach mainly English, History and Geography at the high school level, but I am also teaching a basic Science course this semester-right now just finishing up biology-and I love teaching the space unit...might do that one after March Break

Love Sci and Tech in my every day life...cool new threads to read!

:thumbsup:

18. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

I have a Master Degree in English, specialized in Northern American civilizations and literatures, with a minor in Linguistics (gotta love ye old English, the Great Vowel Shift etc.). I was briefly an English Teacher but kids today are real pain in the ass. And I was like it's either me or them. So I quit.
    As far as I can remember, I always watched the sky at night with a feeling as if I was looking at home... If a lot of things hadn't happened in my teens, maybe, I say maybe, I would have taken Astrophysics at College. But then again, shit happens...

19. gturner

gturner Admiral

Hi all. Early on I was fast-tracked to become Earth's evil overlord, though for the time being budgetary constraints force a diversion of funding from maintaining my army of flying monkeys to techno-droid R&D, as the monkeys had difficulties adapting to helmet displays with built-in GPS interface.

I became interested in astronomy very early, when I gazed up and imagined all the potential worlds to conquer. Sadly, our space flight capabilities have badly lagged my appetite for oppressive totalitarian rule, but hopefully new advances in technology will hasten my inevitable galactic conquest.

As for more pedestrian pursuits, I've ground a few telescope mirrors, which helps distract me from torturing my hunchback apprentices, and figured out sword physics, which was once well understood (1600's) but become lost in mumbo-jumbo. The correct answer, as almost always, is that F=ma.

20. Daedalus12

Daedalus12 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well this is the first time i am posting in here in months. Looks like TBBS admins have been quite busy as I can see a bunch of new forums that wasn't here before. This forum looks great as I always thought this place lacked a real science/tech forum. Anyways I am about to graduate with a Bachelor's degree in Aerospace Engineering so cheers! :) I am also planning to go to graduate school to endure 2 or 4 more years of aerospace engineering :(. The good news is that I am still not tired of this stuff. :)