Would Quark make a good Grand Nagus

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by ILOVETREK1701, Jun 28, 2012.

1. ILOVETREK1701

ILOVETREK1701 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Just hypothetically if Zek had chosen Quark For Grand Naugus how do you think he would do compared to Rom?

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Quark would probably be a moderate, if uninspiring Grand Nagus. Certainly he'd stick with the Ferengi traditions of greed and avarice and naked, submissive women. Quark talks a good game, but underneath it all he really does have a good heart, so I can't imagine he'd be utterly ruthless and probably would set limits like not trading slaves and things like that.

Brunt almost certainly would be plotting against him the whole time, others too probably, so I can't imagine his time as Nagus would be a pleasant one. Really though, it would be a disapointing thing to do with the character. In a lot of ways Quark is like the dog chasing the tire. He wouldn't know what to do with it once he got it.

3. Xhiandra

Xhiandra Captain Captain

Agreed with the above analysis. He hides it, but Quark cares about people.
    Besides, in some way, Quark must be a loser.
    That contributes heavily in making him sympathetic.

4. ILOVETREK1701

ILOVETREK1701 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I agree but I think Brunt may try to be a suck up untill he was ready to stab Quark in the back.

5. R. Star

That's true of most Ferengi.

6. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, you know...Quark does have a brilliant intellect. Odo himself noted that he was the most devious Ferengi he'd ever encountered. (He took it back, of course--but one gets the feeling he was just busting Quark's you-know-whats....)

He would certainly have a conscience--but I seriously doubt he'd be a pushover. I'd wager he'd actually find it fun, counter-plotting against the plotters (like Brunt)--once he got used to the idea of everyone wanting his job.

And...I'd say he'd almost certainly hire Leck the Eliminator to eliminate his more insistant enemies....

7. Kira Nerys

Kira Nerys Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He would be awful as Nagus.With the changes,(as I recall) mentioned at the end he would probably be ousted .Rom was the best choice to helm the future .

8. Lt_Rowy

Lt_Rowy Commander Red Shirt

Quark is good with business but he does get flustered when big things are thrown at him. He could do it but I think after awhile he would cave under the pressure

9. Garrovick

Garrovick Commander Red Shirt

Having Quark as Grand Nagus would work out about as well as having Baltar as President on New Caprica in nuBSG.

10. R. Star

He wouldn't take it with the changes. If he became Nagus it would be on his terms. Honestly I see him taking the same approach he did with his bar towards the reforms.

He speaks out against them firmly, but will quietly toss them a bone if they don't raise a fuss. He dealt with the union in his bar like this and his own mother's "crimes"

11. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

Depends. Quark of all Ferengi was a meagre businessman. He only owned a bar, which initially was at some Cardassian backwater, and only probably made significant revenue after the Federation came in and the wormhole was discovered.

Seems to me that a Grand Nagus is essentially a Ferengi Alpha Male, somebody who earns mega-profit and has proven himself a prominent Ferengi. As an analogy, it's like Quark being a local computer dealer, whilst Bill Gates is the Grand Nagus.

12. R. Star

Quark's problem wasn't that he didn't have the skills required. His problem was underneath it all, no matter how much he professed to follow the "old ways" and be ruthless and relentless in his pursuit of profit, he was a good guy under it all if you dug deep enough.

Thus he would draw the line at certain things. He helped starving Bajorian refugees, covered up for his mom's crimes, and wouldn't sell weapons even when it was obvious that would make him rich.

13. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

Regardless of the reasons for it, the fact remains that Quark made only very little profit from his bar. A Ferengi without profit is no Ferengi at all (Rule of Acquisition #18) [also: Never place friendship above profit (RoA #21)].

Quark just doesn't have the lobes for business. He's a good spy, though.

14. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

IMO, Quark is way to sentimental to be a traditional 'ruthless' leader of the Ferengi Alliance. He's also to much of a traditionalist to be a leader of the new Ferengi Alliance, the one that Zek and Moogie helped create. He's kinda stuck there, right in the middle, not sure what to do.