Gotham PD show in "Nolanverse" being developed by the WB

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/war...-inspired-television-series-set-in-nolanverse

This seems like a direct response to Agents of SHIELD. I can see it being confusing for some of the audience if it is not at all connected to the upcoming Superman/Batman movie.

2. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

*head explodes*

3. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wouldn't a Gotham PD show in the "realistic" Nolanverse just be... a regular cop show? Nolan's Gotham isn't exactly crawling with super-crime.

4. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Commander Red Shirt

They have very, very good tech. Better tech than CSI.

5. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It'd probably be more realistic small time villains like um, cluemaster. Would be a bit like Arrow, with small time crooks. Would probably make most villains serial killers or drug dealers. Still, sounds fun. I think an Animal Man series would be fun though.

6. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

This looks to be a complete waste of time. A cop show set in a Gotham where you won't see Batman, in a version of the franchise that is being dumped and superceeded.

What's not to love ?

7. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

The Gotham mob's back was broken by the events in TDK and the subsequent Dent Act, so between more conventional stories about taking the last of the mob down we'll most likely get to see the rise of the "Freaks" to prominence, just without anything overtly supernatural if they remain true to the universe. Magic and superpowers will be replaced by high tech gadgetry and futuristic science (a lot of it sketchy and borderline pseudoscience probably).

Of course, if they do go that way and not strictly more conventional mob and criminal stories, it kind of makes Batman look like a dick remaining on the sidelines while all this is going on, especially since he was the one that sort of spawned the Freaks by "escalating" things.

8. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

All they need is to show a shadow, a hint, of the Caped Crusader...

9. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Meanwhile, viewers will constantly be asking when Batman will appear on the show. Shades of Smallville!:devil:

10. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Boring, but cheap to produce for WB. Cop shows are easy. Somebody slam the WB execs head in a door who thought this idea up.
    Move on from the Nolan idea to something new that ties into what you are doing currently.

11. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

With JGL and Gary Oldman starring, and the occasional Morgan Freeman and even Bale cameo, I could very well see it become something great.

12. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

So this is during the 8 years when Batman was absent and while Gotham enjoyed peace from crime? And, as has been said, based on a continuity that's about to be rebooted? I loved the Nolanverse but this concept has missed its time.

13. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Riiiiight, because those two A-list movie stars would just jump at the chance to join a hacky cop show set in a fictional city. :rommie:

This is a truly stupid idea.

14. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I've loved the idea of a Gotham Central-inspired tv series for a long while now, but Captaindemotion's point about TDKR stating that Gotham was mostly at peace and without crime between TDK and TDKR is why tying that idea to the Nolanverse doesn't seem to make much sense.

I loved the Nolanverse too, but WB should cut this loose from that set of movies and tie it to Arrow and the upcoming Flash instead.

15. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The general population doesn't care about continuity and shared universes. They just want to watch a fun show/movie. The only people complaining about something confusing the audience are the comic book continuity nerds who claim other people will be confused.

16. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Or just a standard cop show set in Chicago

;)

The way the cops and other folks of "Gotham" acted was more Chicago than anything.

Or maybe that's how Nolan writes his people

17. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Yawn.

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I've heard good things about Gotham Central, and often thought a show based on that premise would be a good idea. The problem is that what makes that premise interesting is that it's about how ordinary cops deal with living in a world of superheroes and supervillains. Not sure how that would work in the Nolanverse.

Exactly. I don't understand these comments about the Nolan continuity being "superceded" or erased or whatever and therefore not being valid anymore. New interpretations of a work of fiction don't annihilate the older ones; they can easily coexist. After all, I think some people are overlooking that Batman is originally a comic-book character, and the comics continuity continued to exist while the Nolan movies presented their own -- and while other Batman continuities existed in animation. This isn't a zero-sum game where there's only room for one continuity at a time -- hell, it hasn't been that since Batman guest-starred on the Superman radio series in the 1940s! So really, I'm bewildered that anyone would think that's a problem.

19. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Setting this in the Nolan continuity is ridiculous, as it will mean it'll lack supervillains. I'd actually be interesting if it were set in a more colourful world.

20. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

The Nolanverse has concluded its story and the main thrust of its story was Bruce Wayne and Batman. I have no problem with the idea of a Batman-less Gotham-set show, but I think it would be better set in a new continuity.