Countdown to Darkness - Review and Discussion

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JD, Jan 23, 2013.

?

Rate the comics

1. Excellent

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  2. Above Average

13 vote(s)
    38.2%
  3. Average

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  4. Below Average

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  5. Poor

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

StarTrek.com has a preview of issue 2.

For those wondering, April did indeed command another Enterprise which was decommissioned two years earlier. April himself commanded the ship twenty years earlier and was believed to have been killed in action.

2. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So assuming the "20 years" figure to be accurate, and not either rounded or just plain wrong (like the age of the Enterprise in TSFS):

• April's Enterprise-α was commissioned sometime between 2233 (earlier would be a violation of Prime canon) and 2240.
    • April became captain sometime between commissioning and when he was lost - earlier is "better", to give him more time to build up enough of a legend where Kirk recognizes the name.
    • April was lost between 2238 and 2240.
    • Countdown to Darkness takes place sometime between 2258 and 2260.

I hope we find out more about April's Enterprise, how it came to be, and how it's different from his Enterprise as depicted (apocryphally) in Diane Carey's books...

3. The Wormhole

All we really know is that April commanded his Enterprise twenty years earlier. We have no actual indication of when that ship was first launched. Indeed, given the fifty year lifespans of most Navy ships today (like Enterprise CVN-65) it's possible that it could have been originally launched sometime 2206 or so if it was decommissioned in 2256.

Of course, that is before the timeline split meaning that even in the Prime Timeline there would have been another Enterprise between the NX-01 and the original 1701. And that of course goes against canon.

4. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hence why I gave the years I did. ;)

5. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

I'm going with this comic being in early to mid 2259 (based on the stardate given in the 10-minute preview of STID).

My thought is that April's Enterprise in this universe was the ringship version. However, maybe in this universe, he was given command in 2233 or some point soon after. Perhaps the ship was upgraded after the Kelvin's destruction and it served as more than a spaceliner.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Can't be. The ringship was seen in a painting on the wall of a bar in ENT: "First Flight," which means it predated NX-01.

7. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Possibly following the Kelvin's destruction, Starfleet rushed a new heavy cruiser class of ships into production (and one of them was christened Enterprise) because the Federation were at war with the Romulans - who they obviously had evidence and survivors eye witness testimony about. That the Vulcan-looking race had attacked one of their vessels without provocation. And/or started a conflict with the Klingons also, who refused to surrender the captured Narada and its occupants to face trial.

Of course, at this point I'm wildly speculating about a storyline that interests me more than what I've learnt so far about this comic's plotline! :p

Like some post 9/11 world parallel where the Federation suddenly engages in two ongoing wars with nation states, who weren't even directly involved in attacking them.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  8. datalogan

datalogan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The inclusion of Harriet Mudd in the 2nd comic worries me a bit. I mean, a reference to Harry Mudd is sorta interesting and fun. I can even believe there might be a female Harry Mudd out there somehow [even though never before revealed in Trek], even though it starts to feel fanwankish.

But I really have a problem with her being a Bajoran. Just like the reference to "Cardassians" that we heard in the 2009 film, I don't like the reference to races in this time period that should be way out there and not encountered by the Federation yet. I mean, even in the 24th century Bajor and Cardassia were considered way out in "Deep Space". How is it that they have now both been referenced in JJverse over 100 years earlier?

9. Christopher

DS9 established that Dax's 22nd-century host Tobin knew an exiled Cardassian poet living on Vulcan, Ilojen of Prim. So we know that the Cardassian species was known to the Federation for as long as there's been a Federation, even if there hadn't yet been formal contact with their government. As an exile, Ilojen may have travelled quite far from home. And maybe he wasn't the only one.

10. The Wormhole

There was no reference to Cardassians in Trek XI. Uhura clearly said Kardashian.

I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. I actually get pissed off at people who make that joke in real life.

11. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

True. I was basing my supposition on the information I found at Memory Beta, where one of the entries is based on Spaceflight Chronology where the/a ringship Enterprise is noted as in operation in the very late 22nd century and early 23rd century.

12. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Ooops. I thought this was commonly known already.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  13. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

14. The Wormhole

Yeah, that is a pretty big spoiler.

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Was issue two suppose to be out today?

16. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

DUDE! C'mon. You should know better. This isn't your first week on these boards. Spoiler code that shit!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2013
  17. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

It's not. There's a flashback to April's mission to Phaedus, and you see the ship on page 12. To me, it looks to be about halfway between the Matt Jeffries Enterprise and the NuTrek Enterprise.

18. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Ah! ah!! Wanna see! Wanna see!!

19. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Sorry, I thought that particular aspect was common knowledge and a selling point?

20. Christopher

No, it isn't revealed until late in the book.