The National Rugby League Thread of 2012

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by PlainSimpleJoel, Feb 29, 2012.

1. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Maybe. I can't even think of changing my support from the Eels.

Not really that disappointed by Sunday's game.
    Nah. I already have a team that I kinder support in the AFL ... and it ain't Collingwood.

2. Captain_Nick

Captain_Nick Vice Admiral Admiral

That makes us MORTAL ENEMIES :(

Who do you follow?

3. PlainSimpleJoel

^ Hawthorne. Well kind of. And in the past also West Coast Eagles. But don't know about any of the players, nor do I watch them on TV. When I was in Melbourne in 2010, I went to Brisbane Lions vs Western Bulldogs, with my brother in law (who supports Geelong)

As I'm heading to Melbourne this weekend. Not sure if I'm going to any games, as my next two planned visits, I won't have time and season will be over. Plus conventions are better than sport.

4. Captain_Nick

Captain_Nick Vice Admiral Admiral

Which con is here this weekend?

5. PlainSimpleJoel

^ None. That was last weekend. I'm visiting family, as it's mum's birthday this weekend. I could attended last weekend, when Supanova was on, but out of the big 3 cons ... Supanova I found are the worst. There were only two guests I was really interested in ... being EJO and Wil Wheaton.

6. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Crap, Campo is out for the season. Top 8 is now out of my mind for the team.

7. PlainSimpleJoel

Another loss. Didn't watch the game (no TV atm), but it looks that last 20 minutes were incredible scoring 30 points, and still lose the game by one point.

8. Jono

Raiders were their own worst enemy against the Sharks...not that Carney's kicking game didn't hurt. He got them a lot of repeat sets. However, if you can't hold the ball and gift the opposition around 2/3 of possession you deserve to be flogged.

Only good news is Dugan wasn't injured in his return.

9. Jono

Raiders were again pretty woeful and were only saved from a hammering by the fact that the Eagles decided that they wanted to blow 90% of their scoring opportunities to keep it close.

I have to know hope that the Titans, Panthers or Eels problems continue to save the Raiders from the wooden spoon given the way that the Raiders don't look like they belong in the top grade.

10. PlainSimpleJoel

The result on Friday night didn't bother me, then next day - it wasn't on my mind. Other interests are now more important to me.

11. Jono

Raiders beat the Eels in a close high scoring game but the game was really a reflection on why these two teams are amongst the worst in the NRL at the moment.

Edit: NSW team announced and I can't say I'm shocked to see Hayne and Jennings make the side despite been far from deserving of their positions in the team.

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  12. PlainSimpleJoel

^ I think neither should have been there. I'm kinder glad the Eels got the bye, as that 2 points will help a bit. It's gonna be a long season.

13. Jono

It was a pretty even match and QLD was the better team and deserved the win. I don't think Inglis's try was legal, I think he knocked on. Given QLD was already ahead the try didn't directly change the result in that sense and there were things NSW did that I think were more important in the result.

I thought that the game was gone when Jennings got sin binned for been a complete dickhead, but thankfully the blow out didn't happen, though it seemed to make Uate forget how to mark up with his opposite even after Jennings came back.

I will never understand why mid-game when you're back by 2 that a league captain would go for a risky penalty attempt, in union it makes sense but that's a completely different matter. That was a captaincy failure on Gallen's part and maybe a minor coaching failure that Stuart couldn't get the trainer out there to tell them to go for touch.

NSW looks close to breaking the drought, but stats tell us that given this result it is unlikely to be this year.

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  14. Jono

If the Raiders played an Under 8s team I'd bet on the under 8s. Pathetic and woeful again. I don't know how much longer until heads start to roll, and I hope it won't just be in coaching as there are players who aren't deserving of playing in the top grade at the moment.

15. PlainSimpleJoel

The Hayne Plane is back!!!! :D

Great second half. What a come back also.

16. Jono

Raiders beat a struggling Newcastle. Dugan apparently had a better game at 5/8th but I still think he's wasted there, much like Hyne is, rather than turn out to be the next Lockyer;

17. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

What a great match game 2 was,the decider will be even better,got a feeling nsw will finally win the series after a looong drought.

18. PlainSimpleJoel

I'm just looking forward to this weekend's game against penrith. Didn't really look into the game against souths.

19. Jono

I feel like I'm parroting myself, but injuries and a woeful left side defence gave the Cowboys an easy win where they didn't turn up in the second half and still won easily.

As for SOO, NSW was in this position last year and still got beaten quite severely. I'd be more confident if NSW had 2 home games instead of throwing one away to Melb. It's almost like the NSWRL doesn't want to end the drought.

20. PlainSimpleJoel

I'm happy as the Eels won. Didn't look like it at some stages, but a win is a win.