Dexter

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Agent Richard07, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

That was really sad. A bad lapse in judgement by the writers/producers/actor.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

You all know that Dexter uses a happy goofy voice at work right?

I used to love the change in voice between batman and Bruce Wayne in the animated from the 90s, and you began to notice that among friends, who were in on the big secret, out of costume he still preferred to talk more like the Bat than the boy Billionaire.

3. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Entertainment Weekly's year's end round up issue picked the "Nebraska" episode of Dexter as one of the year's worst TV episodes.

How the mighty have fallen!:lol:

4. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At last! Things are finally going to move forward. :D

I agree with others that the show is getting a little stale... I have no doubt that this will shake things up and make things much more interesting.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  5. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

great ending third best ending in the series.

6. ialfan

ialfan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wow it's going to be a long nine months. After last season I nearly gave up on Dexter. But the last three episodes have restored my faith in the show.

7. timothy

never give up on dexter or he'll come and find you. also if you're going to go into dexter withdrawl try the books.

8. Joe Washington

Joe Washington Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As interesting as a season-ending scene as that was, it doesn't really save the overall season with Quinn's pointless downward spiral, the further ruin of the LaGuerta character, the lack of menace from the Travis character, the religious theme that didn't fit right with the show for some reason, the outlandish developments concerning the Deb character from her promotion to her revelation involving her brother, and certain subplots like the interns that didn't much of a purpose for this season.

9. ALF

^^ I believe that it will. If I may offer future predictions:

During the entire series most of Miami Metro homicide seems to, at one point or another, express frustration over how the prosecution process fails justice. People walk free, etc. This was highlighted at the start of the series. So as for the continuation I could see Deb keeping Dexter safe from her knowledge of his activities from the beginning (she will freak out a bit over the continuation from tonight's finale) and likely see and even support his point of view. He can claim that Tom Hanks Jr. threatened to kill Harrison, but Deb is sharp and she'll see the kill room and cut on the face and put it together that Dex has more than a passing interest in all this. That's her job. I hope Dex comes clean with her from the start, rather than waste a whole season on her learning everything bit by bit. Though it will probably push her over the edge and cost her her job. One by one, Quinn, Angel, etc will become privy to Dex's killings of evil people as he continues to need his job to support his serial killing through the blood lab, etc. LaGuerta is evil IMHO and she and the captain will try and bring them all down. I'm interested in where that story resolution with the dead hooker will go. I do envision the end of Dexter as a series with him escaping to some foreign country, vowing never to kill again (thought it will end with a will-he or won't-he). I think it's going to be like the vague Sopranos finale in a way, though I hope it's not. I hope Dexter will get a film finale.

I think this finale had the most left hanging. The hand in the box is another item for the list, along with the creepy video game dude. I thought his game was cool, though I missed out on the link from it being a crime-solving game to becoming a serial killer game.

How is it that we don't have a proper serial killer video game anyway? Sandboxers like GTA and assassin missions don't count. What makes Dexter remarkable is that he generally goes after other serial killers, which has made the story stand out from day 1. Parents groups would cry foul over the theme, but since when has that stopped a game release? Anyway, playing as Dexter would be more fun, I think.

10. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I was shocked they had Deb find Dexter killing Travis. This was written and shot before the show was renewed for two more seasons so I had assumed that they'd only have her find out once they knew they'd have more seasons. Now obviously with 2 more seasons left then next season they'll have Deb wrestle with this revelation and find out she's kind of ok with it. Then season 8 things will spiral out of control and Dexter will be outted and she'll be forced to be the one to track him down. And the show ends with Dexter either dead or in prison.

11. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, that had to be one of the dullest season finales I've ever seen-- with one of the most boring ass villains ever. Hey, let's watch Travis sit on a couch! And talk to himself! And walk aimlessly around Dexter's apartment while wearing his shirt!

And of course you knew nothing was ever going to happen to Harrison, so that whole showdown on the roof never had an ounce of suspense to it. (Not to mention the ridiculous idea that Dexter was able to destroy the painting of his face before anyone else saw it? Seriously??)

As for the final seconds, yeah it was a great moment... but the way the writers have seriously undercut Debra's character, I'm kinda scared to see how they have her deal with it next season. Now instead of just being naturally shocked and confused, she'll have all these extra "feelings" getting in the way. And who knows what kind of crazy direction that'll lead to.

12. MichaelDornFan

MichaelDornFan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, Dexter killed Travis where... Deb told him to go do police work. Silly writing but I'm glad it finally happened.

Still a crappy season overall. I just hope they don't waste Deb witnessing it like they wasted Rita dying next season.

13. WeAreTheBorg

WeAreTheBorg Vice Admiral Admiral

I've been waiting for that ending for a few seasons! And it feeeels good.

14. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is going to be resolved when we find out that Dexter is just one of Debra's passengers and "he's" been a Cop all along... One thought I've had is about Debra's language, is that Harry raised Dexter in his own way, and Doris must have been responsible for instilling Debra's immense vocabulary.

We need some flashbacks about the mum teaching daughter how to cuss.

15. davejames

I thought the aftermath of Rita's death was handled about as believably as possible (Unless you're referring to how Dexter's relationship to Trinity was kind of brushed under the carpet by the cops, in which case I'd agree).

As for Debra, there are all kinds of ways they could have her deal with it. She could go into denial, pretending everything is normal for as long as possible. Or she could go catatonic and never leave her house...

Unfortunately it sounds like they want to pursue this relationship idea, so she'll probably just decide "fuck it, I'm in love with him, and he's all I have, so I'm just gonna go along with it." :rolleyes:

16. ALF

I wonder if Dex would reciprocate? If she accepts his "monster" within, why not?
    I went to junior high school with a couple of dudes each with totally hot sisters. One was related by birth, the other adopted.

The adopted brother found the idea of all his friends ogling over his sister irritating, and regardless of their non-blood relation, he found all the requests at seeing her in the shower nude (to report on her breasts without Chip & Pepper getting in the way) repugnant.

The other dude often voiced his opinion that were he not blood related, he would have absolutely nailed his sister.
    Anyway... not useful info maybe but I thought it was interesting considering the trajectory of the current Dexter storyline. Unexpected is almost always a good thing.

17. davejames

The problem is I don't think Dexter has ever shown the slightest bit of interest in her that way. Hell, he's often had trouble even being present as a brother, let alone anything else.

Granted, he's not exactly an expert on relationships or the right way to behave, but I would still think even HE would be repulsed by the idea.

18. ALF

I think he would be repulsed by the idea, too.

But... isn't he sort of "new" to physical affection though? It seems like Rita was the first person Dexter enjoying being intimate with. I believe in the first season he mentioned in the voice over that Rita being 'damaged goods' was in many ways advantageous for him since he wasn't interested in sex.

19. timothy

well it better than seeing John Lithgow naked. :barf::barf::barf:

20. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

I thought this season was pretty good, probably about on par with Season 3, which was the previous worst "good" season. I wish they hadn't left that thread dangling with intern-guy-whose-name-I-still-don't-know. I was confused by the ending because I thought Deb had told Dexter to go do a sweep of the HOUSE where they found Travis's last painting not the chuch so I was confused why she had shown up there. I guess I was wrong though and she had said the church, which doesn't make a lot of sense in the context of the storyline, and seems pretty careless of Dexter to use as his kill site (but then, his judgment has been pretty off for a few seasons now). Ugh. Anyway, despite that last bit of bad writing, I thought it was a pretty good season and not as gratingly stupid as the 5th one.