A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

I consider them great so far, looking forward to seeing how things wrap up and what ties together...

2. Biffette

Biffette Captain Captain

Does anyone else think that Septa Lemore could be Lyanna Stark?

3. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Lyanna died in Ned's arms. So no.
    I expect him to be able to recognize his own sister.

4. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, no. Maybe more going on there than we know so far, but that's too much. Ned confirmed that one, they had a recognizable body to bury, etc.

Series started off really tight, but these last two were pretty loose, wandering tales. Needed to be edited down to 1 book that had a better cohesion. Killing people just to spend pages introducing new people, just to kill them, seems to waste a lot of time, and doesn't appear to be moving the story forward. Feels like the middle seasons of Lost, before they decided to regroup and head for the finale. Hopefully, GRRM will do similarly and tighten up the story as he heads for the big finish...

5. Shurik

Shurik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Greyjoys will own everyone in the end. It is known.

Others' magic. Martin also never described why the seasons in this world are of random length. When people ask him what is the reason for that, he says "Magic".
    His followers in BwB know that he was resurrected multiple times. Most of the people in Westeros do not believe in magic or believe that it died with the dragons.
    There's a scene in ACOK I think, where Alliser Thorne arrives at court in King's Landing, presents the rotted hand of the wight and says that the dead rise beyond the Wall. No one, including Tyrion, believes him and the joke advice he gets from Tyrion is "Bury your dead deeper so they won't rise".

6. Klaus

Agreed... the "resurrections" are being written off by most as fog and rumor of war, like "Renly's Ghost".

7. Biffette

Biffette Captain Captain

Tyrion did believe him but was concerned about being taken seriously at court, so sent him off with his pick of the dungeons and that snotty remark.

8. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

No, I don't think Tyrion believed him. The hand hand rotted to pieces and was no longer moving.

Representatives of the Watch always get the pick of the dungeon, that was not special favor by Tyrion. It is a convenient way to get rid of willing prisoners.

9. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Game of Thrones won the Emmy for Best Main Title Design at the Creative Arts Emmy Awards. It lost out on the other technical awards it was nominated for.

10. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tyrion takes the idea of defence of the Wall rather seriously, though, regardless of whether or not he bought the claim of undead attacks - hence also he's both getting rid of prisoners and giving the Watch the only support he really can. Later in the series Tywin disabuses him of this notion when reading about the Wall requesting aid; to the southerly perspective of Tywin an invasion across the war would only hurt their enemies in the north and is such to their benefit.

11. Elemental

Elemental Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I just finished the first book tonight and loved it. The TV series stayed remarkably true to the book.

So, I'm about to start book 2 and I'm just wondering if someone could tell me if I'd be spoiling myself to anything by referring to the appendix. I found it extremely useful in book 1 but just from a few quick glances, in book 2, it seems to divide characters amongst "camps" that I'm not yet aware exist. Any danger or can I refer away?

12. Bisz

Bisz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the appendices are usually spoiler free for the book they are found in, at least when it comes to major things, like a character dying. I think that for the most part you should be OK to read it.

13. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Captain Captain

But it is true, they mention camps (kings and alliances) that isn't publicized at the beginning of the second book yet.

But no big spoilers. If someone dies halfway through book two, he'll be shown alive in book's two appendix and shown dead in book three, etc.

14. Colonel Midnight

Colonel Midnight Vice Admiral Premium Member

Well, I meant more in the world throughout, more than just ADWD. But it did seem (to me) to introduce a lot of... large characters.

You also have:
    Strong Belwas;
    One (or more :lol:) of the Freys;
    Larry, Moe & Curly zo Hizdahr (:p);
    Lady Genna Lannister;
    Xaro Xhoan Daxos;
    Yezzan zo Qaggaz (Gesundheit!), etc.

Granted, none of the above are really major characters, but cripes... it just seemed like everytime one or more of them were described or showed up, there was a reference to their size. YMMV, of course.

Cheers,
    -CM-

15. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

Its been awhile, but Tony way has been cast as Dontos Hollard and Ian Whyte has been recast for Gregor the Mountain.

Oh and Simon Fisher Becker has been cast as the High Septon.

16. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought Stevens was a good Gregor, though obviously not one with a hell of a lot of material to work with. Interested to see what Whyte will bring to the role, which should be a little beefier this year.

Quite. As I think I observed elsewhere (or earlier this thread?) Meereen in ADWD is just a patsiche of Orientalist cliches. The decadent, effeminate east contrased with the masculine west.

17. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

18. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Yeah, she'll do.

19. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Excellent casting for Ygritte!

20. Klaus

And Westeros is a mass of cliches too lol, though well-done ones. If Ned Stark was any more honor-bound he'd be a Klingon! :lol: